Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
markcalloway

Doom mod game lagging question answered

Some people have been asking why these doom mods are lagging so much. Now one of the reasons why they are lagging is because something is clogging up the computer's CPU aka computer processing unit. Here is something that I have tried and seemed to work on a doom mod called stronghold. Now you may want to open up your task manager and look at everything running under the CPU. Chances are that there are quite a few things clogging up the CPU you can obviously tell what is running and what is not. IF the percentage number is higher then zero it means that a program is running inside the CPU check see if multiple programs are running under the CPU. You may notice that quite a few are running that is what is clogging up the CPU. The more programs are active inside the CPU the more some of these doom mods will lag. So try terminating ending some of the running programs inside the CPU of your computer using the task manager that may free up some of the CPU running capacity but leave the GZ doom engine running. I hope this helps are far as the explanation goes about these doom mods lagging. This is the best I could for the time being from my personal experience with this problem like I said I hope this helps some of you somewhat up to a certain extended point.

I'd advise you not to just hap hazardly cancel random processes on your computer, it can lead to system crashes and instability if you close a crucial program.

It can also damage certain applications in they are updating (hence the CPU usage).

This is the absolute wrong way to go about freeing up CPU usage, let alone determining a system's ability to play mods or get higher FPS in demanding mods.

Use something like Razor Cortex to safely free up RAM and CPU usage, or use MSConfig or CCleaner to prevent certain processes from starting on startup. Other things to consider:

CPU speed - How many cores? What is the base clock?

GPU - How much VRAM do you have? What is the base clock?

RAM - How much RAM do you have?

If you're trying to run demanding mods on a rig with say, a Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 8400GS (like my machine at my job), you aren't going to be playing at great frame rates unless you lower resolution, and turn off or lower anti-aliasing and multisampling.

Temperature can play a role too. If a processor is getting too hot all the time, you need to make sure your rig is clean, all fans are working and moving air as they should, or in worst case scenario, that heatsink compound is properly installed and working.

Please don't terminate random processes. There are many MANY guides on Google about maintaining your rig's health, as well as optimizing for playing games.

EDIT: Now that I know what kind of rig you have, this just kind of goes without saying that you definitely need a beefier rig.

Edited by R4L

2 hours ago, R4L said:

This is the absolute wrong way to go about freeing up CPU usage, let alone determining a system's ability to play mods or get higher FPS in demanding mods.

Use something like Razor Cortex to safely free up RAM and CPU usage, or use MSConfig or CCleaner to prevent certain processes from starting on startup. Other things to consider:

CPU speed - How many cores? What is the base clock?

GPU - How much VRAM do you have? What is the base clock?

RAM - How much RAM do you have?

If you're trying to run demanding mods on a rig with say, a Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and an nVidia GeForce 8400GS (like my machine at my job), you aren't going to be playing at great frame rates unless you lower resolution, and turn off or lower anti-aliasing and multisampling.

Temperature can play a role too. If a processor is getting too hot all the time, you need to make sure your rig is clean, all fans are working and moving air as they should, or in worst case scenario, that heatsink compound is properly installed and working.

Please don't terminate random processes. There are many MANY guides on Google about maintaining your rig's health, as well as optimizing for playing games.

EDIT: Now that I know what kind of rig you have, this just kind of goes without saying that you definitely need a beefier rig.

First of all this is actually a brand new computer and second I actually leave the critical processes running on my windows 10 operating system in the background the ones that I actually really need.

Just now, markcalloway said:

First of all this is actually a brand new computer and second I actually leave the critical processes running on my windows 10 operating system in the background the ones that I actually really need.

As said in another thread, age does not matter. It's the hardware. There is a huge difference. If what Ermi said is true about your rig, then that brand new computer is a great rig to do work on... not gaming.

That's fine that you leave critical processes running, but still, you should be using a utility to either stop the processes from starting to begin with, or to end them gracefully when you game and bring them back after you are done. Razor Cortex does this perfectly.

I will have to do with what I have. I mean I paid close to $400 dollars for my brand new windows 10 computer. I can still play plenty of other games some doom mods are not affected by software. So it is safe to say that smaller doom mods can be played safely without any lagging or software issues in my opinion.

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Another hot tip is to delete System32. It just hogs your raw pylon power.

Careful, he might actually do it.

2 hours ago, CARRiON said:

Another hot tip is to delete System32. It just hogs your raw pylon power.

That's not funny.

System32 delete is the meanest joke to come out of the internet >:(

Dont delete it!

Also @markcalloway, break up your text and use commas :P Its really hard to read, and hurts people's eyes.

11 hours ago, Catpho said:

System32 delete is the meanest joke to come out of the internet >:(

Dont delete it!

Also @markcalloway, break up your text and use commas :P Its really hard to read, and hurts people's eyes.

If I delete system 32 it might end up messing up my operating system. And my computer may become non operational and might have to end up taking it into a computer repair shop. And yes something like that is not funny.

Edited by markcalloway

Does Windows still allow you to delete System32? I once tried to replace a DLL file in that folder on Windows 8 and it took me HOURS to figure out how to get the permissions to do so.

But it didn't work, got the infamous blue screen and had to reinstall Windows.

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Does Windows still allow you to delete System32? I once tried to replace a DLL file in that folder on Windows 8 and it took me HOURS to figure out how to get the permissions to do so.

Normally you shouldn't be replacing DLLs in System32... If one is corrupted or needs to be replaced, that's what repair installs are for.

1 hour ago, R4L said:

Normally you shouldn't be replacing DLLs in System32... If one is corrupted or needs to be replaced, that's what repair installs are for.

Of course there is this option of creating a recovery flash drive on your computer just in case something like this happens. But in order to do that you need to have an empty USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of free space on it. Then you can start creating your flash drive recovery programs on that empty flash drive.

When a Doom mod lags on my laptop, what works best for me is to quietly say a four letter word or two, then go on. I can always play later. =) This comment is not to be taken seriously.

15 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Don't think it is, heard newer Win versions provide extra protection for the system files to prevent (un)intentional meddling and for other security purposes.

21 hours ago, markcalloway said:

If I delete system 32 it might end up messing up my operating system.

:V .

This made me laugh a little, of course it does, it was supposed to be just a joke and something only people who never used a PC before would do, wrecking their system in the process.

16 hours ago, markcalloway said:

Of course there is this option of creating a recovery flash drive on your computer just in case something like this happens. But in order to do that you need to have an empty USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of free space on it. Then you can start creating your flash drive recovery programs on that empty flash drive.

You are preaching to the choir here... I've been fixing machines for 15 years lol.