• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Why do people care about FPS past 120?

4 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

I'm mostly a console gamer so my eyes can't even see past 30FPS

There are problems with this statement. Namely:

• Most console games nowadays are 60FPS.
  • The human eye doesn't work in framerates.

12 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

That is true for movies. In PC games however, you are not bothered by the limits of physical hardware, such as cameras. Once you reach high enough framerates (60 is easily enough for this from my long experience with gaming), gimmicks such as Depth of Field or Motion Blur have just one effect. The final image looks like shit.

Your "long experience" with "framerates"? Gimmicks? Sorry that you believe that the way your eyes work are "gimmicks". "...not bothered by the limits of physical hardware, such as cameras?". Are you bothered about the physical limits of having eyes? Motion blur is not "used in movies", it is simply an effect of using a camera. It happens to be the same effect that occurs in vision, which is why it works so well. Video games do not, by default, produce motion blur, because they are merely simulating vision, and doing a poor job at it.

In your defense, most at attempts to simulate motion blur leave a lot to be desired. Simply doing a translucent blend between frames doesn't cut it, because you're still mixing 2 very different frames. What you need is a smooth interpolation. But the hardware to do that properly would have to be more powerful than simply running more frames. I imagine there are ways to fake it, with some really good math, but its beyond me.

@idbeholdMEObviously you've had some bad experiences, with bad software. However, if you were presented with a system employing *proper* motion blur, it would be nearly indistinguishable from human vision.

Just now, Edward850 said:
  • The human eye doesn't work in framerates.

Exactly.

i am from the quake world so no wonder i always get crazy on this, 120 is just the baseline that i can live with. i even dream of a machine that can run crysis3 at 300fps, even if at lowest resolution and image quality.

more frames = smoother animation. the jump from 60 to 120 is the most noticeable though, so a super high frame rate gets you diminishing returns.

On 3/16/2018 at 10:00 PM, Royal_Sir said:

"My computer can only run this at 165 fps"

"How to get 300 fps?"

"At times my frame rate even came as low as 120 fps!"

please tell me those are fake comments.

The minimum for me is 30 FPS. And 30 FPS Only.