Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity Engine 4.00.00 Völuspá

A notable new feature here is that you can make groups of monster species who don't infight or are totally immune to damage. Multiple kinds of imps finally possible without massacring each other! You can now have hitscan-attacking soldiers who don't suffer friendly fire! See EDF thinggroup, the new thingtype "damagefactor immune" setting and the new thingtype flags at the end of the list.

Thanks! I looking forward to next updates in hope of full Heretic support which I've really need, because after finishing my current project I have plans to make new limit-removing Heretic episode.

Edited by riderr3

You set it by setting 1920x1080fd in the video settings menu. Substitute your desired resolution for that. The key character here is the d at the end.

Hi,

I love how Eternity feels, very smooth!

Is there work being done on a net code for Eternity?

I was thinking about making a dll for Eternity to work in Game Connector even though it has no multiplayer at the moment.

It can still be used as a frontend of sorts so there will be preset options to change video modes as well as window to fullscreen before launching the engine.

Thanks

UPDATE FOR macOS USERS

If you downloaded the macOS version and noticed that the Command key (just by pressing it) toggles fullscreen, then worry no more! Download again the DMG from this page to have this problem fixed. Savegames and demos will still be compatible!

I take that back, Eternity does have multiplayer but it's a rather strange way of setting it up.

Why do the clients need to have their IP in as a parameter? - they should only need the servers IP and port.

Not to sound like a grumpy old scab or whatever but heh, it just seems as that the network setup is a little overly drawn up. 

It should really be something of the nature of:

Hi I'm the server here's my IP address and port number.

Hi I'm client 1, 2, 3, and, 4, we all see your address and port number, we will connect to it now.

Server responds with Ok nice to meet you, and they all shake hands. :P

But currently it seems like they all have to show their ID's, model of their car, dogs name, aunt Bills kids, and someone sneezed.

So they manage to connect. but they all have stuff on their minds now, and one of Bills kids might be sick.

Heh. aside from the multiplayer stuff, I really like this release! 

Alt+enter, windowed to full screen, all works perfect.

Everything is really working well in this version I like it!

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

2 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Why do the clients need to have their IP in as a parameter? - they should only need the servers IP and port.

Because Eternity isn't client server, it's P2P and doesn't have a server to connect to but rather a full on mesh network. Each peer logically needs to know the address endpoint of every other peer to fully establish a mesh. It's still using Linux Doom's network interface which was supposed to be setup with an external tool, not manually by the user.

Also nobody will play it anyway. Like PRBoom+, Eternities multiplayer in its current iteration isn't meant to be used, it simply exists as a formality and simply because it can (it will always work as long as multiplayer demos work) outside of any actual intent.

I've noticed if I recap the framerate in Eternity on my laptop PC as the 2nd peer it helps a lot.

In other tests if I lower its res to well, an original 320x200 size, it's pretty smooth over the network.

It feels better than Prboom+ actually.

I think I found a desyncing demo: dvii-21-1609-pw.lmp from dvii-1i.zip pack. It desyncs for me after a couple of minutes in both 4.00.00-win32 release and Eternity-4.00.00-218-g4ef5d247 devbuild. Not sure if this demo is exactly complevel 9, although it should be?

I found the process for building from source on Linux (Slackware 14.2) to be pretty easy and straightforward with the included documentation. I had setup Timidity already for another engine and EE picked up on that without having to modify anything else. I'm also finding I like this engine a lot on macOS, although I haven't figured out how to setup Timidity on that yet.

Thanks guys, EE has become my favorite engine for playing non-zdoom based content.

Observation: The macOS dmg for EE does not seem to be recognized as a mountable image on OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Extracting the .app on another Mac running High Sierra and copying it over seemed to work just fine however.

On 8/23/2018 at 6:21 AM, ReFracture said:

Observation: The macOS dmg for EE does not seem to be recognized as a mountable image on OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Extracting the .app on another Mac running High Sierra and copying it over seemed to work just fine however.

If this is happening, then my next releases are going to be in ZIP archives.

I love this source port. It's not 100% vanilla like, but i (purist) like all changes i have noticed. What i didn't like in vanilla, was clunky monsters' AI, Eternity fixed it. Also some animations are slightly faster, so looks more realistic. Very beautiful renderer makes Doom look gorgeous in 640x480, so i can rest from Choco's 320x200 resolution. Game runs very smooth. The only things i missed in Eternity is brightness slider (F11 didn't help to reduce brightness to level i need. Needed to change brightness in vidcard settings for "Fullscreen 3D") and full support for all Doom's engine games.

3 hours ago, Rimantas said:

What i didn't like in vanilla, was clunky monsters' AI, Eternity fixed it. Also some animations are slightly faster

You seem to be under the influence of the placebo effect as Eternity has done no such thing. Especially the latter part. There are a couple of MBF AI features you can turn on, but they are hardly drastic. The animations haven't changed at all, nor could it as it can still playback vanilla 1.9 demos. 

When monster turns to tomato sauce from explosion, its animation looks slightly faster than in Choco to me. Bodies fall off platforms and goes through windows more often. I'm not sure about AI, but gameplay feels some different... Maybe i got high from playing Doom lol? Before Eternity i played with Choco all the time.

3 hours ago, Rimantas said:

When monster turns to tomato sauce from explosion, its animation looks slightly faster than in Choco to me. Bodies fall off platforms and goes through windows more often. I'm not sure about AI, but gameplay feels some different... Maybe i got high from playing Doom lol? Before Eternity i played with Choco all the time.

It'll be you being high. If Eternity changed these things the demo cycle at the titlescreen wouldn't stay in sync, as a direct example. The type of things you're suggesting that's different would be much more complicated to flag for demo compatibility.

EE supports three demo formats. Own, Doom and Boom. https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports

For example Fitzquake has it's own protocol, if you record demo using it, demo will not play on source port, that does not have that protocol. But FQ still supports vanilla demos and even let you to switch to vanilla protocol. Eternity probably uses his own protocol or something too, but also has vanilla compatibility. Play some Doom with Choco, then with Eternity and you will get high too.

Indeed, I'm well aware of how Eternity/Doom works. I work with the engine regularly. ;)

The difference between Quake and Doom is with Quake, you simply need to be able to reproduce the commands in the protocol. In Doom, you need to reproduce the engine exactly as it was to replay the demo, as the demo is just player inputs and only player inputs. If the playsim doesn't match the inputs anymore, the demo desynchronizes and no longer produces anything meaningful. The butterfly effect plays a very key factor in this. This is subsequently why ports like ZDoom don't even try to play back vanilla demos, the engine is completely different to the point of it being basically alien, and nothing in it could remotely hope to run anything exactly as vanilla did byte for byte.

There's nothing in Eternity that offers differing compatibility in frame tables, so everything must play back at the same speed. The physics can have differences (hitscans can optionally collide with floors for example) but anything more drastic requires substantial redirection.

Maybe i had too big BLAST with Eternity then. I really got used to 320x200 in Choco and then i switched to 640x480 with really good, clean renderer. Maybe i played very fast :D Eternity feels very good to play...

When i exit Eternity after playing with .ogg music pack, midiproc.exe is still in task manager. It's little annoying to kill it everytime. OS: WinXP Pro SP3 x86

The new release looks promising! But when I tried playing with it, the mouse movement is way too slow when using the same sensitivity settings I used in version 3.40.46 that I've been using before... (+10 horizontal and +0 vertical)

I tried to just up the mouse sensitivity value in hopes of getting the same effect, but the movements still feels slow and kind of laggy. In any other source port, including that older version of Eternity, I can make sharp and precise turns with my mouse. Here, I feel like I'm drunk all the time. I wish I knew how to describe this in a more objective way...