Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Altazimuth

Eternity Engine 4.00.00 Völuspá

Thanks for the hint, I set it to 25 with Choco acceleration and it feels pretty alright now! Not sure why, since I already tried 20, 40 and a bunch of others, and different accelerations too, and they all felt bad. Maybe it's really a matter of fine-tuning... but it works perfectly in Chocolate Doom. Oh well, it's a lot more bearable after tweaking the settings.

I just started using Eternity after a looong time.

Well, this a noobish question but can anyone tell how to show stats (kills, items, secrets) on automap (if there is a way).

10 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

can anyone tell how to show stats (kills, items, secrets) on automap (if there is a way).

Use the 'Boom' alternative HUD. Pressing "+" while in-game will cycle it between full non-hud view and 'boom' hud, with the 'status' line showing those statistics.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:20 PM, Edward850 said:

Indeed, I'm well aware of how Eternity/Doom works. I work with the engine regularly. ;)

The difference between Quake and Doom is with Quake, you simply need to be able to reproduce the commands in the protocol. In Doom, you need to reproduce the engine exactly as it was to replay the demo, as the demo is just player inputs and only player inputs...

There's nothing in Eternity that offers differing compatibility in frame tables, so everything must play back at the same speed. The physics can have differences (hitscans can optionally collide with floors for example) but anything more drastic requires substantial redirection.

My guess is that Rimantas might be noticing the effects of interpolation/uncapped framerate, on an engine with some floating-point rendering precision updates. These features might make the game *look* a bit more fluid (which is pretty cool), without an actual frame table difference. What do you think, Rimantas?

Well, i don't use interpolation or uncapped framerate. I played on 320x200 resolution with Choco Doom for long time, then i switched to Eternity on 640x480. I can tell that on 320x200 Doom can look little bit slower sometimes. Maybe because of that pixel "censor" lol.

Here's another miscellaneous issue I just noticed. I added the Minor Sprite Fixing Project to the auto-loaded wad list... and it replaced the custom sprites in my mod! Shouldn't the auto-loaded wads be loaded before anything else?

On that note, I've noticed that loading even cosmetic wads such as the aforementioned sprite fixes causes No Rest and Master Levels to disappear from the episode selection menu. Would it be possible to make the program check the wads for new maps before making that kind of decision?

On 11/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, SiFi270 said:

Would it be possible to make the program check the wads for new maps before making that kind of decision? 

I honestly can't say how feasible such an idea is. Lots of potential edge cases that could foil such a system.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

Any plans for OPL in Eternity? 

Yes! In fact I was attempting it prior to GZDoom got its support using the same library as I was working with, but I ran into issues with EE's sound code. It's rather... fragile.

What kind of node builders eternity supports? I searched information, but I couldn't find. Zdbsp gives me white blank screen when I try test my almost finished map and only music plays. Zenmode node builder can't remove ugly slimetrails, even if it works. 

1 minute ago, Misty said:

What kind of node builders eternity supports?

All of them.  I'm using zdbsp myself. Due to mapsize I build with extended node format and an empty blockmap.

1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

I just encountered funny bug while playing with Eternity + Vsmooth. Imp got stuck on edge and will not move or launch fireballs. Ultimate Doom.

impstucksave.7z

imphigh.7z

Do you have this turned on?
33aad3be6a.png

On 11/2/2018 at 5:19 AM, Mordeth said:

Use the 'Boom' alternative HUD. Pressing "+" while in-game will cycle it between full non-hud view and 'boom' hud, with the 'status' line showing those statistics.

Is that the only way to see the item/monster/secret statistics? I wish It could be made similar to PrBoom+ where the stats are viewed on the automap, I don't like the Boom HUD very much.

20 hours ago, Zeskofp said:

Is that the only way to see the item/monster/secret statistics? I wish It could be made similar to PrBoom+ where the stats are viewed on the automap, I don't like the Boom HUD very much.

Unfortuately yes. Though I made a feature request for it

https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/issues/243

Edited by ReaperAA

I have question - is here any eternity related wad or video which showcases portals in their full potencial? I have Mothership and Vaporware downloaded, but I feel that I need more examples for them similiar to boomedit  wad. Eternity's wiki is already checked out. 

^

Sadly, where's no example wad for it to check it out in detail on builder. Linked portals are cool, we can all agree on this. 

On 10/31/2018 at 1:23 PM, Scypek2 said:

The new release looks promising! But when I tried playing with it, the mouse movement is way too slow when using the same sensitivity settings I used in version 3.40.46 that I've been using before... (+10 horizontal and +0 vertical)

I tried to just up the mouse sensitivity value in hopes of getting the same effect, but the movements still feels slow and kind of laggy. In any other source port, including that older version of Eternity, I can make sharp and precise turns with my mouse. Here, I feel like I'm drunk all the time. I wish I knew how to describe this in a more objective way...

This isn't necessarily aimed at you Scypek2, i just seem to be experiencing the same issue so i quoted your post (i hope you don't mind). 

This is sort of an older post/topic so i hope i don't get in trouble for bumping it but i have also been experiencing this same issue. I've never tried the Eternity source port before so a few nights ago i downloaded it and right away i noticed that my mouse seemed slow and "laggy". I did try to tweak the settings (sensitivity/acceleration) but it still feels "off". 

Now i know that Scypek02 fixed their issue by just upping the sensitivity but i also have this same issue in the latest PrBoom+ (2.5.1.5 test), as a lot of people seem too as well, which is why 2.5.1.4 is still commonly used for PrBoom+. I'm assuming it's due to the switch to SDL2 in both ports. Now i don't know why that would change anything as i don't really know anything about programming or software architecture so maybe someone could fill me in on that. I also tried Doom Retro and my mouse felt really delayed as well and i believe that uses SDL v2 something.

In-case it helps i am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (latest build) so maybe it's something to do with Windows 7 being older now or a missing driver/compatibility issue? Eternity seems like a great source port but as of right now i can't really use it due to those issues. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not though. If someone answers this & i don't respond for a few days its due to health reasons since i'm going through some tough times right now (cervical degenerative disc disease; aka neck issues).

9 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

@CyberDreams I use Choco mode acceleration and mouse feels perfect. Windows XP.

Hmm...yeah i'll have to mess around with the settings some more when i have the time so i can find that "sweet spot". I could of sworn that i tried everything but i'm sure i probably missed something as i'm not to familiar with Eternity. I just wasn't exactly sure if it was SDL2 related or not. Anyways, thanks for the quick response!

22 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Hmm...yeah i'll have to mess around with the settings some more when i have the time so i can find that "sweet spot". I could of sworn that i tried everything but i'm sure i probably missed something as i'm not to familiar with Eternity. I just wasn't exactly sure if it was SDL2 related or not. Anyways, thanks for the quick response!

Have you tried "novert emulation - on" and fiddle with settings more? I put my settings in spoiler if you want check out.

Spoiler

etrn145.png

etrn162.png

19 hours ago, Misty said:

Have you tried "novert emulation - on" and fiddle with settings more? I put my settings in spoiler if you want check out.

Reveal hidden contents

etrn145.png

etrn162.png

Thanks for the tips and showing me your settings! The "novert emulation - on" definitely helps and i messed around some more with the acceleration as well. I found that "Chocolate" or "Custom" seems to be alright so far.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:24 AM, Altazimuth said:

I honestly can't say how feasible such an idea is. Lots of potential edge cases that could foil such a system.

I've thought about this a little more. What if you could load them with command line arguments like "-nerve" and "-master" or something along those lines?

On 11/23/2018 at 10:05 PM, Loud Silence said:

I just encountered funny bug while playing with Eternity + Vsmooth. Imp got stuck on edge and will not move or launch fireballs. Ultimate Doom.

impstucksave.7z

imphigh.7z

That's either normal DOOM or normal MBF (unfortunately) behaviour. Either:

1. the platform rose while the imp was partway on top of it. Vanilla DOOM rules that such monsters are unable to move. Or:
  2. By MBF's badly refined logic, you're able to push monsters on ledges (and ultimately make them fall, even alive) by shooting them (or thrusting them in any way, such as by BOOM conveyors). Even though they're supposed to recover, they're unable most of the time. This means it's very easy to push certain heavy monsters with sustained plasma attacks into a ledge and immobilize them.

About problem (2) I'm thinking on how to set the default compatibility settings for the optimal experience. It's the two topmost settings @Edward850 showed you, they (not sure if both, though) need to be set to YES. Unfortunately this will break any mod that uses BOOM conveyor belts to drop things into other areas (think of airport baggage belts).

Edited by printz

@printz I'm not long time Doom player and by time when i posted saves, i was even more novice than now. When i used Choco and ZDoom before Eternity i haven't noticed any stuck monsters, that's why i thought it happens only in Eternity. But i agree that's normal Doom's behavior.

About compatibility: -eternity, -boom, -mbf commands could switch modes like -vanilla. And i would prefer them to work for regular playing too (not only during recording).

20 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

And i would prefer them to work for regular playing too (not only during recording).

-vanilla also works for regular playing, and is now also stored in savegames. Its only limitation currently is that it gets lost when you start a new game. Maybe I should fix it, so it's consistent with other settings, such as -respawn. Maybe I can even add a menu option next to other options such as -fast and -respawn.