Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PinkLion

So I'm doing a research project for college...

Hello Doom community! I'm a Game Design student from the UK and my current research project is about Doom, I was hoping you could all give me some answers to some questions as I am no professional at Doom and have little knowledge of its history. I feel this is the best place to go to ask questions about this topic.

The questions I'd like to ask are:

1. Your age and gender
  2. Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence
  3. Which Doom games have you played?
  4. Your personal favourite Doom game and why
  5. How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)
  6. Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  7. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  8. What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?
  9. What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?
  10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide, I will really appreciate it!

Edit: If there are any additional sources of research you think I could use I'd love to check them out :)

Edit 2: Should have mentioned that all research will remain confidential and anonymous!

Edit 3: Optional anonymous Questionnaire you can take to give me more data if you would like to: https://goo.gl/forms/kPqVbe7j1hjDVP9y1

Edit 4: Regarding an Ethics Protocol, there's nothing like that where I'm from and I wasn't informed of anything of the sort so I'm quite confused about the whole thing. I've reached a daily post limit for today so I can't reply to the thread or messages regarding the subject, apologies.

Edited by PinkLion

6 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

Your age and gender

26, female

7 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

Country of residence

Not your business

Which Doom games have you played?

All of them

Your personal favourite Doom game and why

Doom II. Fast paced, good beastiary, decent weapon selection, easy to "mod", slaughtermaps.

8 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)

Doom II 9/10
Doom I 6/10

Doom 3 7/10

Doom 4 7/10

9 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

Do you think Doom has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?

If you mean classic doom, community made maps have obviously improved.

Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?

No

What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?

It's good, if not legendary.

10 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?

Competent at creating decent atmoshpere, gameplay is for elderly people tho.

11 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

Nope.

1. 17, male

2. Somewhere in France

3. The official WADs (Doom, Doom II and Final Doom) and the Doom 3 games (and also a shitload of fanmade WADs)

4. Doom II is best: more abstract, great additions to the enemy list, great new weapon, brilliant layouts and fantastic gameplay

5. Doom II = 4/4

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment = 4/4

Ultimate Doom = 4/4

[Edit] Master Levels for Doom II = 3/4

The Lost Mission = 3/4

[Edit] No Rest for the Living = 2.5/4

Doom 3 = 2/4

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil = 1.5/4

Final Doom: TNT Evilution = 0.5/4

6. Like Nine Inch Heels said, aesthetically, Doom has improved massively. You could argue that the same can be said for gameplay (just look at AV and Vanguard). [Edit] In some cases though, no (just look at Terrywads).

7. Never played the new game

8. Second greatest game franchise EVER (not first sadly, no thanks to TNT)

9. The atmosphere is good, but it doesn't play like Doom AT ALL. The Lost Mission was more action packed, which is what I liked about it

10. PLAY MORE DOOM!!! (official and fanmade)

Edited by Poncho

38 minutes ago, PinkLion said:

Hello Doom community! I'm a Game Design student from the UK and my current research project is about Doom, I was hoping you could all give me some answers to some questions as I am no professional at Doom and have little knowledge of its history. I feel this is the best place to go to ask questions about this topic.

1. Your age and gender
  2. Country of residence
  6. Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  7. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

Thank you all so much for any help you can provide, I will really appreciate it!

Edit: If there are any additional sources of research you think I could use I'd love to check them out :)

1) 33 year old male

2) Canada

3) All games with exception of mobile

4) Doom 64 - I really like the oppressive atmosphere and brooding soundscape.

5) Doom - Doom II - Doom 64 - Doom 3/ROE - Doom 2016 - Final Doom

6) I think it has improved since 1993.

7) Doom 2016 took me back to 1993 when I first played Doom. It’s different yes, but it has spirit.

8) Doom is a game that I can return to time and time again and constantly be pulled in even after taking a break from it. I enjoy other games too, but Doom is a mainstay.

9) I love Doom 3, it went in a different direction with the focus on horror but it works. It’s a slow burning version of Doom.

10) On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being least offensive and 10 being obnoxious I would rate D_Runnin a 11.

Edited by Ex Oblivione

1. 29, male

2. America, I guess.

3. All Classic Dooms, Doom 3 and Doom (2016).

4. Doom 2. A good variety of weapons and monsters with decent amount of maps ranging from small to big ones.

Ult. Doom 5/10

Doom 2 10/10

Doom 3 7/10 (Horror games are not really my taste)

Doom (2016) 8/10 (This score is based on the feeling of the games around 2016 because FPS games around that moment don't really get me into it, and Doom (2016) stands out quite a bit for me.)

6. This can't be really said in my opinion because they are all quite different games unless you're comparing Ult. Doom and Doom 2, but judging from my rating, I think Doom 2 to Ult. Doom is definitely an improvement.

7. Totally not. It is some sort of different games in the same name to me.

8. Classic Doom is the only one 10/10 game in my life. That's it.

9. I appreciate the change of taste in the overall feeling of the game, but I'm really not into horror games or games with horror environment settings. Some other things would be the anti-climatic final boss in Doom 3 or such.

10. I'm curious about your opinions though.

@NIH: You're young, so good :D

1. 34, female

2. United States

3. Doom 1, 2, 3 + xpac, Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Doom 2016, Doom 64, and most Doom console ports.

4. Doom 64 for the atmosphere and level design.

5. Doom 1: 9/10, it had very good level design; Doom 2: 8/10: Also good, and the monster additions were nice.  Final Doom: 5/10, I never did like the levels much.  Doom 3: 9/10: I *loved* the atmosphere here, as well as the plot and the gameplay.  Doom 2016: 2/10: utter crap gameplay and level design, horrible music, but at least it looked pretty.  Doom 64: 10/10: The atmosphere is spot-on, the gameplay is perfected, and the level designs were amazing.

6. I think it improved, but it's on the decline again with Doom '16.  It feels like we've lost touch with what made Doom "Doom" and instead are heading towards Painkiller-esque games.

7. Absolutely 100% no.  It was so bad that I wished I had pirated it.

8. I still think it's one of the most important games ever. Doom's influence still shows.  I don't enjoy it as much as Quake anymore, but it's still something I can come back to time and time again.

9. Doom 3 felt like a modern Doom to me: creepy, evil, and an emphasis on exploration all while shooting enemies with distinct guns.  It wasn't perfect, but it felt close to a 3D Doom for me.  It's still one of my most favorite games, and I usually play through it a few times a year.

10. Quake is still the only game that feels like a true 3D Doom.

1. 27, male
  2. USA (I don't care, it's a big place)
  3. 1 and 2
  4. Doom 2, for several reasons. One is the greater variety of enemies. Most of the new additions require specific strategies to defeat them, or movement patters to dodge them. Another is the departure from "realistic" settings to more abstract ones, which gave the devs more freedom to build maps around fun and challenging encounters, without feeling the need to explain their design choices in the context of a setting. Also, the SSG. (One does not need a reason to appreciate the SSG.)
  5. I've not played Dooms 3 and 4, but I've seen LP's of them. Just as base games, I would rank them as 2, 4, 1, 3. If we consider the potential for modding and custom mapping, I would say 2, 1, 4, 3. Doom 4's monsters and maps were more interesting overall than those of Doom 1, but snapmap does not compare with the mapping tools for the original. Also, I'm not really a fan of linearity, scripted events, cutscenes, cinematics, etc. I'm just here to play a game, not to watch a movie. That was a huge issue for me in Doom 3 -- gameplay was too slow, and interrupted too much by story exposition stuff.
  6. Eh, Doom 2 was an improvement on Doom 1, and Doom 4 was an improvement on Doom 3. But to me, Dooms 3 and 4 don't really seem like true successors to the originals. Not sure what to say here. Technically, they have definitely gone up. Gameplay-wise, I think Doom 2 was the best.
  7. No, but I only started playing Doom about 3 years ago. So there isn't much for nostalgia.
  8. I think it's misunderstood nowadays. Many people think of it as a mindless shooter where edgy kids can get their fix of violence and gore. Take a look at Doom 4, for instance... In trying to capture the "spirit of classic Doom" the devs made it more gruesome than ever, However, the gameplay seems to have suffered. The game now gives you mobs of low-tier enemies just for the pleasure of gibbing them, rather than to serve as any kind of threat. Glory kills are a thing. IMO, the "spirit of classic Doom" lies in its subtle  tactical challenges... things like target prioritization, learning and taking advantage of the subtleties of monster movement and attack behavior, managing monster infighting, managing health and ammo resources, managing movement space, etc., etc. Some of these things are present in new Doom games to varying degrees, but it seems to me that they just "missed the mark" a bit.
  9. I started playing it once. I was disappointed when I had to play for 10 minutes or more before I was able to shoot anything. The game was beautiful, but gameplay was too slow. There were too many dialog sequences, cutscenes, Half-Life styled puzzles (which I'm not opposed to in a game, but not in a game claiming to be Doom), and story exposition in general. Also, the game engine did not allow for large encounters, so by the end of the game you were still fighting 1 or 2 imps at a time in small rooms (sometimes you'd fight 1 or 2 different enemies though).
  10. Yes. (Vague question gets vague answer.)

2 hours ago, PinkLion said:
  1. Your age and gender
  1. no
  2. no
  3. all
  4. plutonia, mixes the fun level design of doom 1 with the additions of doom 2 plus some spicy challenge
  5. ignoring mods:
    1. ultimate doom: 8/10, great cohesive level design, great music, incredible overall atmosphere. lacks monster variety
    2. doom 2: 3/10, terrible level design, ugly, meh music, poor use of added monsters, and the ssg is great and all but still breaks the weapon balance
    3. tnt evilution: 2/10, they tried. i somewhat enjoyed the levels where they experimented heavily, but the normal levels fell completely flat
    4. plutonia experiment: 9/10, as stated above, but the visuals are kinda gross-looking early on
    5. master levels: 4/10, mostly bad, some decent levels in there though
    6. doom 64: 0/10, easily worst doom game. absolutely atrocious unfun levels and gameplay changes, plus mostly annoying ambient tracks. sprites and sounds are cool though
    7. doom 3 (non bfg): 4/10, decent concept, overstays its welcome by several hours.
    8. doom 3 RoE: 7/10, actually pretty fun. short and sweet with moderately fun gimmicks + ssg
    9. doom 4: 1/10. if it wasn't a doom game and also costed ~$10, i would rate this more favorably.
  6. absolutely declined, with the exception of plutonia, which wasn't even made by id
  7. lmao
  8. kinda meh without the moddability, aside from doom 1
  9. "4/10, decent concept, overstays its welcome by several hours."
  10. slaughtermaps are the epitome of bad design and zdoom is utter garbage (unless you're playing a TC or something)

P.S. you listed doom 2 and final doom (technically 1 game, but it's really 3 games total) as 1 game in your survey link >:c

Your age and gender - 30/M

Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence - US

Which Doom games have you played? 1,2,Final DOOM.

Your personal favourite Doom game and why - N/A - there are too many "Megawads" that 

How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?) Technically if you count fanmades, there are too many to answer this question.

Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality? Not really. I have yet to see Doom 3 and Doom 2016 mods and I doubt they will ever match the quality and quantity of all the megawads (fanmade levels that are usually 30 or 32 levels in Doom 2).

Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release? Depends how moddable it ends up becoming.

What are your overall opinions on the Doom series? The moddability and all the levels available plus the community makes it one of the best games of it's era.

What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically? N/A

Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research? Different people here like different mapsets. Just because Bonnie can't stand slaughtermaps and ZDoom doesn't mean others think the same way. I'm not a huge fan of mods, I only play with (G)ZDoom except in rare circumstances, and slaughtermaps are fun.

1. 31, male.

2. USA

3. All, except the RPG that came out on moblie

4. DOOM 64. While I love all the games, something about DOOM 64 just feels unique and I love the designs they did for the character sprites and the levels.

5. As far as the core games go I guess for me it would be: 1,2,4,3. Its been so long since I've played Final, TNT, and Plutonia that they've just kind of blended all together in my mind right now.

6. I think for the most part it has improved since it's initial release. I don't see DOOM 3 as a decline, but rather id just trying something new with the series which, for better or worse, is something that developers should do occasionally so that a series doesn't just become stagnant. 

7. Not really, but that's okay. It still carries the spirit of the original, but needed to be its own entity.

8. The simple yet brilliant concept of DOOM, along with it's influence behind the FPS genre, the Gaming industry as whole, and the mod community, has cemented DOOM's legendary status as one of the greatest and influential games/series of all time. 

9. As I mentioned above, I don't see 3 as a failure, but them trying to take the series in a new direction. It was a decent survival horror game, but as a DOOM game, it just wasn't what most people were expecting it to be. Plus, the changes to the flashlight mechanic in the BFG release caused it to move more away from the survival horror and back to more basic FPS style, which fans of the original 3 claim ruins the experience and dumbs down the difficulty of the game.

10. Whether its just to kill a few minutes or to vent off some frustration after a hard day, by mowing down demon after demon, DOOM has that lasting appeal that keeps bringing back veterans and attracting newcomers even after all these years.

1. 17, male

2. United States

3. DOOM, DOOM II, Final Doom, DOOM3 (got bored quick), DOOM 2016, + DOOM 64 and PSX DOOM

4. DOOM, because that's the first Doom game.

5. rating IWADs only :

Ultimate Doom : 8.5/10 (because of the level design, music, but missing SSG due to finding out there was DOOM II.

Doom II : 9/10 (because of the SSG, it's also widely used in most PWADs I've seen. but the level design was boring to me.)

TNT : 3/10 (I haven't played much TNT, due to lack of interest.)

Plutonia : 7/10 (It was a challenging WAD, especially MAP32.)

Doom 64 : 5/10 (The level design was okay, but I did like the upgrade in the assets and sprites.)

Doom PSX : 4/10 (It's missing a couple of PC levels sadly, but it was fun as a console gamer.)

Doom 3 : 1/10 (It was exciting to be getting the Xbox copy of the game, then after playing a bit, it got boring real fast.)

Doom 2016 : 6/10 (It's a like Brutal Doom, multiplayer mode stunk because of the loadout junk.)

6. Not really much, so declined in quality.

7. Kinda, because Doom was a childhood memory of mine.

8. Doom with megawads just makes it more fun to me :)

9. Doom 3 really should of use the pace from Doom/Doom II tho.

10. I prefer vanilla-style Doom ports, rather than GZDoom and others that has Mouse Look, Jumping, and Crouching.

Here, have some slant answers:

1. 27/M
  2. Texas. That's a country, right?
  3. All of them.
  4. Counting modding, Doom 2. Discounting modding, Doom 64 (with Plutonia a close second).
  5. Among the classic games, my verdict tends to fluctuate too much to really give an answer better than "all great, except TNT which is mixed."
  6. Can't beat the classics, but Doom 2016 is hella better than Doom 3, so there's technically a downward trend, but the overall graph would be V-shaped.
  7. Nostalgia, nah, but lives up to? Sure! Id took the concept and made something pretty badass with it, with some choice expectation-exceeding bits (early levels' nonlinear design in particular). Probably the best modern-AAA-interpretation of Doom anyone could have pulled off, really.
  8. Well, there's a reason we're all still here on a Doom forum. :P -- more specific answer: The good old games are great, sure, but what really makes them last is the modding. Seriously, poke around at some custom content; you're only scratching the surface by considering only the official games.
  9. Classic Doom was a scary, realistic game back in the day, but in hindsight there's a surprisingly stark difference between how it felt at the time (spooky horror) and what it actually is (arcade-y action). Piggybacking off that, here's my actual answer: Doom 3 was Id attempting to capture what they thought Doom was, while Doom 2016 was Id attempting to capture what Doom actually is. The latter hit the mark, while the former ended up being a directional lighting tech demo.
  10. Bonnie's post is a good example of why outliers are often excluded from data sets. ;)

10 hours ago, PinkLion said:
  1. Your age and gender

1. 18 male

2. Greece

3. The Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, most of Doom 3 and some TNT.

4. I like The Ultimate Doom the most, because it has a great atmosphere, excellent level design, perfect music and really enjoyable gameplay. Doom 2 is a close second.

5. TUD - 10/10

Doom 2 - 8/10 (gameplay is improved, but I think it loses on some of its other elements - but you have the SSG and cool new enemies)

Doom 3 - 7/10 (it's a way different game, compared to the rest of the series, but I enjoyed playing it and the horror-action combo really worked, in my opinion)

TNT - */10 (still haven't finished it, but I want to love it - something feels different about it and honestly, I love that feeling - might stop trying to do it the no saves thing, because I am getting my ass handed to me and I really want to experience the rest of it)

6. In some ways yes, in some ways no.

For an example, from the little time I played Doom 2016 at my friend's pc, I can tell that the graphics and story reached a new peak, while the gameplay was not improved, but reincarnated according to some of the modern standards (it's good and average/bad at the same time). Also, thank God that Doom 2016 strayed as far away as possible from that GOD AWFUL Call of Doom trailer (what a hellish abomination would it have been???)

7. Some areas of the game do that for me. Those classic Doom map secrets and the Icon of Sin. Otherwise, I can't say I feel the same for the rest of the game).

8. Masterpieces...

9. Like I said, it's different, yet I love it. That darkness and spookiness is only rivalled by Doom 64 and maybe PSX Doom and that is where the game shines. And it might be a bit slower compared to other Doom games, but that works in its favor. I mean, if I could have the classic running speeds in Doom 3, I would surely use them, but I still see why they had to go with a slower Doomguy.

10. Nope...

14 hours ago, PinkLion said:

1. Your age and gender

1. 21, male.

2. Romania.

3. Doom 64, Doom 2, Ultimate Doom, Doom 3.

4. Doom 64 for the even freer use of macabre and "occult" imagery which I'm a sucker for, while still retaining the core essence and gameplay of the original games.

5. Hm...

UD - 8.5 (Would've been a 9 had it included more enemies, the lack of enemy variety is the worst aspect of the game, and the combat is sometimes tiring due to the lack of the SSG).

Doom 2 - 8.5. (Better gameplay but some levels aren't as good as in the original and are even annoying and frustrating to navigate on a few occasions. Final Doom is mostly a very competent expansion, especially Plutonia which provides gorgeous, "natural" levels with intense, smart gameplay and enemy placement which required the player to think before acting, all ending with a vastly superior boss fight compared to the original game, whereas the other part, TNT, is a mixed bag in terms of quality. Some levels really stand out thanks to the fun and inspired gameplay and design, but others are just ugly and even confusing, best described as mediocre from all points of view, ultimately ending up as little more than an above average expansion).

Doom 3 - 8. (Strong atmosphere to inspire fear in the player, but the jump scares become overused and quickly becomes predictable, which means the fear factor is slowly lost, the gameplay was indeed sacrificed in the favor of the first, and most of the time is spend running through corridors and various sections in a facility and nothing else. Still, the depiction of Hell in this game is probably the best, not just terrifying but constantly plaguing the player with feelings of despair, loneliness, sadness, and simply not being supposed to be there, a truly otherwordly and hostile realm. The Soulcube was also an intriguing and nice addition to the arsenal, a living, sentient weapon, though referring to it as such may not in fact be accurate).

Doom 64 - 9.2. (No, none of them are getting a 10, there's just no such thing as a perfect, flawless game. It's the entry in the series I like the most primarily due to its almost perfect balance of atmosphere and gameplay of the original games, although it tends to rely on the first a bit too much at times where the gameplay is also a bit too slow and even boring. I also like the new enemies and most of the redesigned old ones, save for the Mancubus and Cacodemon, although a few of them were left out due to technical limitations. The new weapon, the Unmaker, is easily my favorite from all games, which is actually a cut gun from the original Doom).

6. I'd say it remained the same, the last game is still Doom at the core but with more modern elements, design, and much more violence, but loses a bit of the soul and creepiness of the originals, too much emphasis was placed on the gameplay and not enough on the atmosphere (particularly in Hell, which I describe as a series of swampy, grotesque caverns which lack variety, also missing the strong otherwordly feeling seen in Doom 3, probably left out due to not wanting the players to be afraid even the slightest bit), lore, and other elements that enrich the experience. The story was easily the best and my favorite part. Multiplayer is of no concern to me, I'm primarily a singleplayer guy, so nothing to say here.

7. Lives up? Yes, certainly, though obviously not perfect with plenty of room for improvement. Nostalgic? Definitly not, it's a new game, or rather reboot of the series, which retains most of the core elements and spirit that made the original great, but nothing nostalgic about it. And certainly not a cash grab on such fans or designed to feel this way. The big question left is how long will it stay alive, the original games are still doing great decades later, but will it share the same fate with them, or end up forgotten or with very little interest on anyone's part a few years later, like Doom 3.

8. It's a great series which thanks to the modding community and continued development of new entries in the series is still relevant to this day, though not as much as it was back in 1993.

9. It tried to focus on realism too much and overemphasized the atmosphere while unfortunately sacrificing the gameplay. A good game nonetheless, but it definitely has its fair share of problems. It can also be argued that it almost completely changed the genres and became a horror game as opposed to what the originals were, but since it was more or less supposed to be a reboot I can't say I'm surprised to see how things turned out. The BFG edition also removed and redesigned areas as well as changed a number of core gameplay mechanics such as the flashlight which ultimately didn't work in its favor or did justice to the original vision behind it, contributing to further lowering the difficulty of the game or "dumbing" it down, according to some fans, which was already fairly easy.

10. Source ports research and analysis, what they change, what they offer, and why do people prefer one over the other and what they like (or hate) about them the most.

Edited by Agent6

Yay, good thread to find out the genders of Doom community members so I know how to refer to them by third person.

12 hours ago, PinkLion said:
  1. Your age and gender
  10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research
  1. 29, male
  2. Romania
  3. Doom 1, Doom 2 (and expansions), Doom 3 (and RoE; not BFG)
  4. Doom 3, due to the best art style and gameplay nicely similar to the older Dooms
  5. Doom 1: pretty damn cool, probably due to the nostalgia factor. Doom 2: meh, but good for attracting the most modders. Doom 3: cool like Doom 1, but also modern.
  6. It stagnated, actually. It's just the art style which improved.
  7. Didn't get to play Doom 4 enough.
  8. I had great projections in my mind about it (it felt so original with demons and space) but now I understand id were just doing business about it. It's still a very nicely balanced game in my mind forever.
  9. I wish it attracted more modders. Still good though, kinda at the level of Hexen with regard to mod count.
  10. Source port analysis, why people prefer certain ports or are vanilla purists, and which communities attract which ports.

age and gender:

(imagine a high number here)

Country of residence:

teh UK

Ultimate Doom, shareware Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom (shortly after they came out), Doom for Playstation, Doom 2 with NRFTL on XBox 360

Your personal favourite Doom game and why:

Doom 2 for the tallness and craziness of the levels - the mappers get experimental and the experience is lovely and strange

How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?) the classics and NRFTL are strictly four stars out of four, Final Doom and PSX three out of four.

Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?

it's hard to define quality like that! I think the scope and vision of teh series has increased steadily but modern gaming doesn't particularly suit me and I think the original games use one of the most interesting, enduring and flexible engines ever made whereas, although I've barely played the new ones, from having seen footage of them being played they strike me as being a little disposable - games that'll be used up and forgotten. but I can only be subjective and am useless on the concept of quality as such

Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?

It's its own game and neither the action, the level design nor the setting remind me particularly of Doom

What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?

I don't think the series hangs together as a single property whatsoever - the plot is always so weak and ephemeral anyway and the mechanics of the original game didn't survive past Final Doom. What I love about Doom is its expandibility by the playerbase - it is more of an artform to me now

What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?

Didn't play enough of it to have a sane opinion!

Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

just that Hexen and Strife are closer to the Doom family of games to me than Doom 3. could almost say the same of Quake 2

1. 39, male.

2. Ireland.

3. All of them, including ports.

4. Playstation Doom due to the much darker atmosphere and unsettling soundtrack.

5. Doom: 4/5

Doom II: 5/5

Final Doom: 3/5 (dragged down by Plutonia)

PSX Doom: 5/5

PSX Final Doom: 3/5

Doom 64: 4/5

Doom 3: 4/5

Resurrection of Evil: 3/5

BFG Edition: 3/5
Doom 2016: 4/5

Doom RPG: 3/5

Doom II RPG: 3/5

Doom Resurrection: 3/5

6. In terms of user content, absolutely.

7. No, but it is still a great game in its own right.

8. A fantastic series overall which, despite a few missteps, has held up beautifully as games around it have become more and more advanced and elaborate.

9. A much misunderstood game which appealed to me for much of the same reasons that I enjoyed the Midway games on Playstation and Nintendo 64. Reasons that the expansion pack and BFG Edition completely sidestepped.

10: IMO source ports have played a large part in Doom's longevity, from basic stuff such as allowing the game to run natively on modern hardware through to breaking through the hard design limits set by the original engine, allowing user content to surpass what the original game was capable of in terms of creativity, scope and scale.

Filled out the Google Docs survey. Best of luck! c:

This reminds me of something similar I did once. Here's the end result, in case you or anyone else is interested in seeing it:

https://santtupesonencreations.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/the-demons-of-doom_-a-pseudo-religious-perspective.pdf

Not one of my proudest endeavors in hindsight, but it was admittedly fun to do.

1.16 Male
2.Albania

3 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

2. Greece

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

2. Romania.

1 hour ago, printz said:

2.Romania

Yay fellow people from the balkans :D (That's probably the only time you are ever gonna hear that)

3.1,2,Final and 3
4.1 and 2
5. Doom 1 8/10
    Doom 2 8/10
    Final Doom 6/10
    Doom 3 5/10

6.Well it had it's ups and down but now the Doom series seems to be doing good C:
7.Nope,i am neither nostalgic towards Doom nor did i ever play 2016 in the first place
8.It's a good series!
9.You can't really compare it to the other Dooms since this is a different genre but even as a horror game it's pretty mediocre :D
10.Making good maps is hard :C

14 hours ago, PinkLion said:

1. Your age and gender

1. 23 yo

2. Russian Federation

3. Every released on PC

4. Doom2 in terms of modding experience and quite good recource flexibility (if you have required tools ofc)

5. might to tell you average score: 7.

6. Obliously enough, Doom went into both ways in different times. Something became better, something worse. But, overall, yea, with each game in series - it grows in quality but slowly lacks joy of re-play.

7. No. This game oriented for younger generations, which were born after 90's (in mid 00's, as I might to suggest)

8. Satanism and demonology in its finest. Not every game series can deliver such fun to you like Doom does.

9. Id had opportunity to reboot whole storyline and continue it right after D64 have been released. Well, they did, was it worth of any efforts? Yes. D3 delivered new look into what might to happen if you trying to fuck up with something not related to Earth and belong to antient whateverthatshitis entities.

10. Ye, I have. This game doesn't have Boss named Sir Echpochmak. All heil LIVING ROTTEN HORNED FOOD

15 hours ago, PinkLion said:
  • 1. Your age and gender
  • 2. Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence
  • 3. Which Doom games have you played?
  • 4. Your personal favourite Doom game and why
  • 5. How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)
  • 6. Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  • 7. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  • 8. What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?
  • 9. What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?
  • 10. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

1. 18, Male

2. Denmark

3. The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64, Doom 3, and DOOM (2016)

4. The Plutonia Experiment from Final Doom. The expanded enemy roster from Doom II is brilliant, but I feel like many of Doom II's levels aren't quite as good as the maps in UDoom. The Plutonia Experiment is quality maps from start to finish, and it is also quite a bit harder than the other official Doom games. I like consistent quality, and I like a challenge.

5. (9.5/10) The Ultimate Doom

Despite the limited enemy variety, Doom is still very fun to play through. Almost every level is either good or great, and I really like the episodic structure. Playing       through an episode of UDoom takes me about an hour, a lot more digestible than the daunting 32 maps of Doom II and the Final Doom Iwads.

(8.5/10) Doom II

Doom II introduced a bunch of new demons to fight, greatly increasing the combat variety, and the iconic Super Shotgun is pure awesome. Unfortunately, while         this is great and all, Doom II really doesn't make the best use of these new additions with some sub-par level design (in my opinion).

(7/10) TNT: Evilution (Final Doom)

Pretty much the same as Doom II, but the level design has really taken a nosedive on more than a few occasions here. At it's core it's still Doom though, and there     are some fantastic levels in the bunch. A mixed bag.

(10/10) The Plutonia Experiment (Final Doom)

See answer #4.

(6/10) Doom 64

I don't think Doom 64 is bad, it's just very boring to me. It feels rather slow compared to the 90's PC games, and all the levels feel samey to me. Some demons         are missing as well, what a shame. Atmosphere is top notch though.

(7.5/10) Doom 3

Now, Doom 3 is very different from any previous Doom titles, so comparing them is unfair I think. Judging Doom 3 on it's own, I think it is a competent game. I         absolutely love the environment design, and the atmosphere is excellent thanks to some fantastic sound design. Combat is very bland however, and you're often         fighting just a few demons at a time, not very challenging. The game also drags on a bit too long and starts to get boring towards the end.

(9/10) DOOM (2016)

Again, I feel the newest game in the series is just too different to the previous entries to compare them. DOOM was marketed as a return to the classic formula           with, key cards, health pickups, secrets, and no reloading (but guess what, Doom 3 also does all of that), but past the surface level features, DOOM is a completely     different beast. DOOM holds easily the most fast paced combat of any game in the series. Few games can get my adrenaline pumping like DOOM does. Still, the         2016 reboot suffers from repetitiveness, and becoming a bit too linear towards the end of the game.

6. I don't think it has improved, necessarily, just explored some different avenues. As I said, Doom 3 and the 2016 reboot are both very different to the original 90's releases.

7. Does it give me nostalgia? Not really. Does it live up to the 1993 Doom? I would say yes, it does.

8. Doom is a part of who I am; even if the series has stumbled a bit trying to find it's identity, I still think it's the greatest gaming franchise of all time.

9. See answer #5.

10. I think by far the most interesting part of Doom is the modding scene. Part of why Doom is still alive today is the relative ease with which you can create something competent. Pre-Doom, it's just too simple, it's very hard to make something unique and engaging. Post-Doom, modding for newer games is just too time consuming, so most people don't get into the modding scene.

I filled in the response in the link but I'll add additional info here:

21 hours ago, PinkLion said:
  • Your age and gender
  • Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence
  • Which Doom games have you played?
  • Your personal favourite Doom game and why
  • How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)
  • Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?
  • Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?
  • What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?
  • What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?
  • Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

1. 1. 35, male.
  2. United States.
  3. Everything but the mobile RPG series
  4. Doom/Ultimate Doom due to the episodic design and the levels feel better designed over Doom 2's.
  5. Doom gets a 9/10 as I answered things above. Doom 2 gets an 8/10, a full 32 maps, several new monsters, new graphics, etc. Doom 64 an 8/10 because of it's brand new SFX/music used, the colored lighting to set its mood and graphically different than others in the series. Doom 3 (NOT BFG Edtion) gets an 8/10 because of its horror aspect and slower pace and a different take on the Doom storyline. Doom 2016 gets a 7/10 as it is still fast paced and honors many gameplay aspects like the original but it has flaws and additions I do not like, like the Lockdown-Kill-Proceed-Repeat in some to most areas.
  6. For the most part, I'd say I'd say its quality has remained the same up until Doom 2016 where the quality dipped slightly.
  7. Doom 2016 works mostly but like I have mentioned previously, some flaws the game have still irritate me and I prefer the original 1993-1994 games over the 2016 game.
  8. I love it.
  9. I like it. If I want a horror fix with some Doom overtones, I'll play Doom 3.
  10. Yes. The Doom franchise is among the biggest games you can easily modify without some convoluted third party tools.

I am also surprised the 31-40 age group is not bigger in the chart. Why 33% say Doom 2016 is the best game makes me lol. Clearly some of them have never played the classic games or just pull the graphics-over-gameplay thing.

Edited by Glaice

1. 38, male

2. I am greek but currently living in UK

3. Doom 1,2,3,4, commercial mods (TNT, Plutonia, etc), all console ports.

4. Doom 2, it's just classic Doom plus the additional enemies and SSG.

5. Doom 1-2: 5/5, Doom 3-4: 3/5, Doom 3 wasn't like classic Doom, slower movement, linear maps, very dark, but I feel nostalgic about it at least because it was trying to push the horror element in a way I haven't seen before, first time a game freaked me out as much, esp with the use of shadows. Doom 4 tried to be classic Doom but again it also tries to pander to modern game design sensibilities, faster but not as fast movement, non linear levels at first but then linear arenas, trying to pretend it's gory with glorykills and no story with "doom guy doesn't care" cinematics, says it's not about the story then has some uninteresting b-movie story and you meet Vega and holster down the weapon and wait his talk, because as an AAA studio, they can't go 100% arcady Doom classic, it would be risky.

6. They are trying to do the best they can, as AAA game studio. At this point I don't expect anything from any big company doing remakes with old classic franchises. I am happier for indies like Dusk, Amid Evil or Ion Maiden where it's classic oldschool FPS all over again, no restrictions from publishers or afraid to take risks.

7. No as I said. At least they tried and didn't made a bad job for the brand. It's just not really oldschool to me.

8. The community is huge and great. That's what keeps me coming back to it.

9. Nice horror touches and use of shadows, very slow movement and hits stun my aim. Many people didn't like the darkness and switch between flashlight, I personally didn't have problem with it or sometimes I found it interesting or adding to the atmosphere.

Your age and gender

35, male

All except Doom 64 and Doom (2016). I have never played through the Plutonia experiment.

Your personal favourite Doom game and why

Doom episode 1; it's still the original and best as far as I'm concerned. Everything from the level design to the music is perfect, and exactly what I love about Doom.

1. How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)

• Doom 1: 10/10 - same as above
  • Doom 2: 8/10 - I have mixed feelings about the sequel. It added a lot of things (new monsters, etc.) which made it great for modding, but the level design is not as strong and there is not as much attention to detail.
  • Final Doom: 6/10 - Some good levels on the TNT side but I'm not a fan of the Plutonia experiment. Final Doom also feels like a missed opportunity to add new things (monsters, weapons, etc.). It's just more levels.
  • Doom 3: 4/10 - Technically impressive at the time but I don't think it's aged well.

Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?

This has multiple interpretations so I'll answer it twice:

• If you mean the franchise itself I think it's held up well. Although I haven't played Doom (2016) it's clear that it got very good reviews and feedback as a game, and there was a clear and effective attempt to recreate and preserve some of the elements of the original game.
  • If you mean the original Doom game, I think it has aged very well - for a 25 year old game it's hard to see how it could age any better. I'd cite the active modding community as the primary reason it has stayed fresh, with people bringing out new things all the time that give new twists on the gameplay. In particular it's hard to dispute that the rise of gameplay mods like Brutal Doom in recent years has had an invigorating effect on the popularity of the game.

1. Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?

Haven't played it. I think the main thing it's missing is a more concerted effort to build a modding community around the game. SnapMap was a nice nod to the idea but it's clearly very limited. If it doesn't develop a modding community it will be forgotten in a few years as "just another FPS game".

1. What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?

Doom as a game is known for being technologically groundbreaking: the original game provided the blueprint for the modern FPS, introduced multiplayer deathmatch, speedrunning, open fan modding and many other things. But above all Doom is about people and creativity. That creativity takes several forms:

• the open source code allows the game to be extended in any number of directions
  • the game was designed from the start to be moddable (the WAD format); any game resource can be changed and the editors have a low barrier to entry. You can learn how to make Doom levels in an afternoon and make a small, playable level in a couple of hours.
  • there continues to be an active multiplayer community which is in part probably sustained by the development of new mods and levels. I think something about the speed of the game (compared to other games) makes it very attractive to certain players.
  • there is a seemingly endless number of weird quirks in Doom's gameplay which make it a goldmine that speedrunners are still keen to exploit.

1. 19, male.

2. Canada

3. The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, Final Doom (The Plutonia Experiment and TNT: Evilution), No Rest for the Living, Doom 3 and Doom (2016).

4. TNT: Evliution from Final Doom. It has the best level design and soundtrack of all the official IWADs, in my opinion.

5. I'm not assigning ratings to any of them. Giving things an obligatory numeric/verbal rating undermines the personal experience one might have with those things. The best way to know the personal value of something is if someone you tend to agree with recommends it to you. And I highly recommend that everyone play any of the Doom games at least once in their lives.

6. Yes, I believe that each official game in the series accomplishes exactly what it set out to do. Doom (1993) set out to revolutionize gaming, and it did just that. Doom II set out to expand upon what the first game did without changing much at all, and it succeeded. Final Doom was a fan-made expansion meant to provide an enjoyable Doom experience, and is easily my favourite part of the series. Doom 3 set out to provide a different experience than previous entries while revolutionizing modern lighting at the same time, and it did just that even if it hasn't necessarily held up as well as the older games. Doom (2016) was an attempt to revive the series in the public's eye by revisiting many of the original's core concepts while giving it a more modern flair, and I think it succeeded amazingly spare a few hiccups.

7. No, it honestly isn't possible for any modern game to live up to the original Doom's release. While I love Doom (2016), the only way it could have possibly lived up to the same level as the first is if it somehow revolutionized some aspect of gaming. I honestly think this game had less of an impact on the industry than Doom 3 did. Doom 3 had extremely realistic lighting, Doom (2016) doesn't have any major technological advancements. Snapmap, while impressive, is not the first in-game map editor and from what I could tell from the brief time I used it it is too limited to compare favourably to the multitude of modding tools available for the first game; but it's better than nothing, I guess. The multiplayer is easily the worst aspect of the game, id/Bethesda really needed to pick a better company to outsource it. I can't feel nostalgic about this game yet, I haven't had enough time with it.

8. The Doom series (especially classic Doom) is the pinnacle of the FPS genre. The fact that a game from 1993 can maintain such a vibrant and healthy community over twenty years after it was released really is a testament to how important it is to gaming. The modding community is strong and still churns out great experiences on a regular basis. I don't think any other game has had the same impact that Doom had when it released.

9. Of all the games in the series, Doom 3 has easily aged the worst but I don't think that has anything to do with the game's quality. When I played Doom 3 for the first time I had a wonderful experience, though Doom 3 clearly isn't a game meant to have high replay value. Doom 3 wasn't trying to be the same as the previous games in the series, it was trying to provide a different type of experience whilst vastly improving graphical techniques.

On 3/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, PinkLion said:
  • Your age and gender

29, M

• Optional (Out of interest): Country of residence

United States

• Which Doom games have you played?

Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 3, Doom RPG, Doom 2016

• How you would rate each Doom game (optional: why?)

Ultimate: 10/10

Doom II: 9/10

Final Doom: 9/10

Doom 3: 7/10

Doom RPG: 7/10

Doom 2016: 9/10

• Do you think the Doom series has improved since its original 1993 release or has it declined in quality?

Nothing touches Ultimate Doom for me, but that doesn't mean the series is on a decline per se. The series has been remarkably consistent in quality from inception. 

• Do you feel that Doom 2016 gives you nostalgia and lives up to the original 1993 release?

Mostly yes. It resembles Painkiller a lot more than Doom in some areas, but the core gameplay is incredibly fun. 

• What are your overall opinions on the Doom series?

Ultimate is my favorite game of all time, and the rest of the series is incredibly good. My favorite FPS ever and my favorite game series ever...nothing else comes close. 

• What are your overall opinions on Doom 3 specifically?

Has a lot of good setpeices and audio design, but the fights get super repetitive an hour in. And then you realize you have 6 hours of gameplay left. Booring.

1. Are there any other things you would like to add that could contribute to this research?

Slopes? I don't need no stinkin' slopes!