Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baratus 95

Hellro by Baratus95

Posted (edited)

image.png.71b90e5c559349a4bed1b8c3e451edbf.png

This apparently took 4 days of slow work, it was mainly a limit-removing map but then turned into a Boom-compatible map.

This was tested with PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4, will later try this on my Pentium 75MHz and MBF though, this single-map uses the DOOM2 IWAD and the theme of this map is supposed to be Hell-themed. there is one secret hidden in the map, and have play-tested just to make sure everything works.

This was mainly to get good at Doom Builder, so be sure to tell me what you think of this WAD, and be sure to leave some suggestions either to update/fix the WAD or for my next level.

Here's the attachment with the readme included.

hellro03.zip

Edited by Baratus 95 : Released a new version of the map.

Here's a video of my first demo attempt in GlBoom:

Not too bad. Kinda had a Thy Flesh Consumed feel.

There were a number of alignment issues. Don't be afraid to use lower and upper unpegged. It can save you some headache. You generally do want to lower unpeg the sides of your doors (where you usually use doortrak) so that they don't slide up and down. Along similar lines, sometimes you have clashing textures right next to each other. Sometimes it's good to put something in between them like a shawn or a support.

Small details matter. You don't want to have half the yellow skull texture show up. Either change it or make it big enough that the whole thing fits. 

Also, the bars that lower right away are a different brightness than the surrounding sector which makes it look odd when they are lowered.

In the blood area, the lower texture is the greenish stone texture. It doesn't look great with the white above it.

If you use a door, make sure it's the right width. If it's not, still make it so that it looks good.

Most of the areas were fairly tight. It wasn't bad, but do think about some wider areas in your future works. Along those lines, newcomers often gravitate toward lots of doors and hallways and rectangular rooms. You did have a lot of doors, but not really hallways or boxy rooms, so that was good.

I actually like D_Runnin. Industrial Zone is probably my favorite map in Doom 2. But my perception is that people here don't particularly like iwad music, especially D_Runnin. Understand that almost every standalone map is Map 01 and lots of people don't change it, so folks have heard D_Runnin quite a lot. I don't think it's that big a deal personally (I tend to listen to my own music anyway), but I do seem to be in the minority on that opinion.

Despite my almost perfect run, combat was not too bad. There were a few traps and not really any meat walls, so that's good. 

The "hellro" thing was kinda cool.

Happy mapmaking to you.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Here's a video of my first demo attempt in GlBoom:

Not too bad. Kinda had a Thy Flesh Consumed feel.

There were a number of alignment issues. Don't be afraid to use lower and upper unpegged. It can save you some headache. You generally do want to lower unpeg the sides of your doors (where you usually use doortrak) so that they don't slide up and down. Along similar lines, sometimes you have clashing textures right next to each other. Sometimes it's good to put something in between them like a shawn or a support.

Small details matter. You don't want to have half the yellow skull texture show up. Either change it or make it big enough that the whole thing fits. 

Also, the bars that lower right away are a different brightness than the surrounding sector which makes it look odd when they are lowered.

In the blood area, the lower texture is the greenish stone texture. It doesn't look great with the white above it.

If you use a door, make sure it's the right width. If it's not, still make it so that it looks good.

Most of the areas were fairly tight. It wasn't bad, but do think about some wider areas in your future works. Along those lines, newcomers often gravitate toward lots of doors and hallways and rectangular rooms. You did have a lot of doors, but not really hallways or boxy rooms, so that was good.

I actually like D_Runnin. Industrial Zone is probably my favorite map in Doom 2. But my perception is that people here don't particularly like iwad music, especially D_Runnin. Understand that almost every standalone map is Map 01 and lots of people don't change it, so folks have heard D_Runnin quite a lot. I don't think it's that big a deal personally (I tend to listen to my own music anyway), but I do seem to be in the minority on that opinion.

Despite my almost perfect run, combat was not too bad. There were a few traps and not really any meat walls, so that's good. 

The "hellro" thing was kinda cool.

Happy mapmaking to you.

Thanks for playing the PWAD, I did some fixes for the map after seeing the quote you made. fixed the yellow skull texture, did a little more texture alligning, and replaced the D_Runnin midi with something found in a 1995 beta version of SW. Might release the fixed version sometime tomorrow.

I,ll also make sure to make my next map more bigger sized. :-)

EDIT : Updated the original post with a new version.

Edited by Baratus 95