Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Impromptu Minidido (Project Thread)

1st reaction: 'an FDA

2nd: '393000 bytes (which is like 45+ minutes) :O'

Anyway, pretty awesome. I'm more excited to watch the eventual playthroughs/streams (hopefully of the beta for more saveless demos, though, so bugs don't ruin much) than of my own maps. Pretty cool watching you go through your own section now, with a mix of familiarity and seeming curiosity about what is different.  

Edited by rdwpa

12 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

1st reaction: 'an FDA'  

I forgot to note: I peeked at most submissions as they were uploaded, so it's an *cough* "FDA" in quotes.  Everything was still kinda surprising tho, but I think I deliberately shied away from Heel's sections, for example.  In the end it wasn't a monster that did me in, it was an evil crate siren that lured me in by my lust for climbing on shit.

Yeah, personally i found the blue path/ southern section to be way to devoid of ammo (until you basically get to the 2 ends).

Not sure if its something worth fixing or im just a terrible ammo consumer, but it felt like i was running out in several spots in particular

I am roughly halfway through the map based on monster count and I found some things that might be bugs: bugs.zip

I also fell victim to those darned crates.

Quick FDA: bob_minidildo.zip.

Only scratched the surface (550/3k kills) but had fun exploring. Took me a few false starts to get a foothold, but then I had a good half-hour run. Feels surprisingly cohesive overall, I'm impressed. Health seems a little scanty to start off but that also helps propel you off into new areas. Didn't spot any bugs other than the sky stuff already noted. Proud to see some of my decorations around the start too! :)

All right, i played it for a couple of hours and i've noticed that a new version was released while i was playing so a couple of bugs i've noticed maybe are fixed by now. It's a hard map, there are some really brutal zones, and it has a quite epic size, i was a little worried about how the submsions were going to fit since there were a lot of different themes, but they were implemented quite well, i managed to kill 750+ before i stopped playing after getting the red and yellow keys.

7 hours ago, PepsiBepsi said:

I think DMPhobos' section was a great opener to the map.

If you refer to my first submission, i must admit it took me about 20 minutes before i finally found the zone, im glad my areas fitted well, you guys did a lot of cool stuff in your areas while i build mine with the intention of them being some kind of glue corridor pieces to help connect with the other submissions.

Alright, here are some issues i found

Spoiler

There's a different ceiling texture in the corner, looks a bit odd

tCYZPdS.png

This from my submission, i noticed that both this area and the imp zone ceiling by default was half raised, i tought that this was an intentional 

Dp5G7NZ.png

i was able to open this zone to the BFG with only 2 keys
bdf8z3M.png

this zone still has the startan texture, not sure if this intentional, but it looks rather odd

qUWO497.png

Great work everybody

DMPhobos, I must have messed up the height offsetting when placing that starter area, because all ceilings in your area were 48 units higher than they should have been. I ended up not noticing, and then thinking it was intentional because it looked mostly fine and played well that way (for example the ledge imps can shoot at the player from far away through the window). Fixed lol, although the imps might be worth keeping 'open'.

I did noticed that all ceilings were raised, it looked a bit odd at first but i don't mind that much, i do agree that the imp zones works better open like this, specially considering that you can enter that zone not just from the front, so im fine with that change

I agree with @Big Ol Billy, the map is very cohesive.

Last night, I went in blind and played for about 20 minutes (dying about 4 or 5 times). I didn't get that far in, but I didn't notice any areas that seemed that overly devoid of weapons and ammo. True, the first time I played through I went to the area with the boxes you can stuck behind and ended up being rushed by demons, which I had to shoot with a pistol. I thought that was unfair, but there's actually a shotgun and enough ammo once you get into that section, so it's not an issue, so long as you don't dawdle outside it. The health seemed a little sparse at times, but wasn't overly oppressive. Again, I didn't play to the later sections, so I can't comment on the availability of health in those parts. I did notice that armor seemed scarce, at least early on. Then again, I prefer getting armor early on in a level. I didn't check, so I'm not sure to what degree difficulty settings have already been implemented.

Since it was getting late, I put on god mode and noclipped around for another 10 minutes to just look around the level. All the areas generally seemed to flow together well and didn't clash as much as I expected they would. I don't know how much "connective tissue" you added, @rdwpa, but you managed to make it all hang together. There are definitely several themes throughout, but it's a large enough level that the differences don't seem odd. I played the alpha1 version, not the updated alpha2, so I don't know if the slight problems I encountered have been fixed or not. I'll play through the alpha2 (or an alpha3 if that exists by tonight).

Overall, great work!

By the way, @Alfonzo, I definitely think this level would fit in well with the DWIronman League, given the length of the level, the open nature of it, the number of monsters, and the difficulty of some of the later encounters. Obviously, not in its current alpha stage, but in its final polished form, I'm sure you would find the level acceptable.

I am recording a demo right now (a FDA, but not a *first* attempt, more like a 5th attempt since I keep getting killed by revenants lol), so far I really like the map, I found a funny exploit in the north area on accident where you can lure the manc and spectres up the lift that takes you to the open area directly above my part and they get stuck :D

Also there is a disproportional amount of revs, this map would probably be @Suitepees favorite map of the month lol

Very nice layout, visuals and cohesiveness; also made in a really very short time, good job rd!

Since my stuff is finished early than planned, so I immediately jumped into this. I don't know how to handle those Lost Souls, so there's a Lost Soul legion going on somewhere in the map for me now ;P

My route was blue->yellow->red. I recorded my playthrough, but it's in Chinese... I wanted to introduce this game to more Chinese players, but it doesn't seem to work. Oh, well.

^ @Paul977I immediately realize the section you made because of the "shady" way you put that switch :D

Status report:

status.jpg.97c7e99e1820781d73984098552a8840.jpg

(Got all Skull Keys)

Avoid spoiler to other players: (I'm still using the Alpha1, and I discovered the "lethal" boxes, but it should be fixed now.)

Spoiler

bookshelf.jpg.a5c58e5774ef32944cbb1c9dc058bad7.jpg

In this area (This is the part leading to the Yellow Skull.), I realized to press the switches next to the blue banner shelves (hinted by a small triangle). The one on the side, the bullets are not on the lowered shelf, so did I miss something?

Updated to a3. In addition to lots of fixes from this thread and from Archi's stream (still on the way are some misc misalignments, texture issues, and smaller software-renderer glitches), the sky cutoffs outside should be suitable for software mode now, so we should be not too far away from a true RC1.  

@GarrettChan,

Spoiler

LOL, since you were using alpha 1, what happened is that a scroller inadvertently affected the lowering bookshelf and flung the bullet box from that one to the other. Pretty funny. 

Edited by rdwpa

Spoiler

miss.jpg.55d95fd0b94349f19cd7671c31d585b7.jpg

^This door closes slowly so the player can actually get out and the area will be locked out (yeah, I know I'm not playing as the intended way). After finishing the central fight, this texture will be missed. I thought this part is by Archi, but it turns out to be NIH's. I suck at guessing stuff :'(

Also, the acid here deals 20% damage and you can actually get out of the pit, so probably it's intended?

12 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Updated to a3. In addition to lots of fixes from this thread and from Archi's stream (still on the way are some misc misalignments, texture issues, and smaller software-renderer glitches), the sky cutoffs outside should be suitable for software mode now, so we should be not too far away from a true RC1. 

I'm glad I checked. I was about the play a2.

I downloaded a3 and fired it up in GZDoom (3.2.5). The first thing I did was see if there were differences (in monster count) between the difficulty levels, and there are, at least in terms of monster count.

ITYTD and HNTR: 4211

HMP: 4296

UV and NM: 4337

What was common to all of them was that immediately on starting the level (as in, the level opened and I brought up the automap), the counter for monsters killed went from 0 to 183 immediately, in ITYTD, HMP, and UV. So I don't know what that's about.

4 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

183 immediately, in ITYTD, HMP, and UV. So I don't know what that's about.

that's for an arch vile based fight I made. It required me to kill things ahead of time to have the right kind of corpse in the right kind of place.

12 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

that's for an arch vile based fight I made. It required me to kill things ahead of time to have the right kind of corpse in the right kind of place.

Yep this is a fight in the square citadel  where you obtain the three skull keys together.

^ Love those setups, I was actually going to do a similar vile encounter  for the contribution I didn't get around to making. Guess it worked out though ;)

Sadly, skullkeys are being used for certain doors, but if not or i'm sure there's another way, it would be cool to put a difficulty meter next to the entrances of certain areas to denote the difficulty of each section, making it easier for the player to choose their path order. Sadly I have not played enough to see most of the map, but from what i've heard and played, certain areas or sections are much harder to start with that others, just a thought though.

22 minutes ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

from what i've heard and played, certain areas or sections are much harder to start with that others, just a thought though.

To the best of my understanding the variations in difficulty are intentional in terms of how the map has been put together. Difficulty "warnings" might seem like a good idea on paper, but I'm sure it'll fall apart in practice, because the difficulty of these areas still depends greatly on where people have been prior. But it's not my call to make, just thinking "loud" here... ;-)

I would like to modify one of the fights in my area if possible...?

You can. The easiest way is to describe changes and I'll edit them in. 

6 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I'm glad I checked. I was about the play a2.

I downloaded a3 and fired it up in GZDoom (3.2.5). The first thing I did was see if there were differences (in monster count) between the difficulty levels, and there are, at least in terms of monster count.

ITYTD and HNTR: 4211

HMP: 4296

UV and NM: 4337

What was common to all of them was that immediately on starting the level (as in, the level opened and I brought up the automap), the counter for monsters killed went from 0 to 183 immediately, in ITYTD, HMP, and UV. So I don't know what that's about.

I've implemented HMP more thoroughly today, so that'll be in the next update. 

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

You can. The easiest way is to describe changes and I'll edit them in. 

The non-deaf hitscanners in my early section that just walk out kinda bug me for some reason.  your call. (edit:) or maybe they don't walk out.  first playthrough they either walked out or were dead when I got there or something.  nm my memory is weird.

also, i poked around again, but went into the red "hell" area this time.  Funny enough, that's the best starting places to get weapons and armor.  I actually was afraid to enter there at all first ironman-style playthrough because I didn't want to be surprised locked into one of the harder sections.  And the automap shows the [WH] tag just stitting there ominously :p.  Turns out it's one of the safer places until you get deep enough.

Edited by NoisyVelvet

39 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

but went into the red "hell" area this time

I think you're talking about Archi's part? Yeah, the environment makes me think there must be something terrible going on, but it turns out to be easier than the blue key path.

Hmm It might be better to change the first part of my fight back to how it was ( not the floor bit lol ) but uh how the 2 cybers were walking around on the floor with the other monsters, not up in the cage cause they do nothing up there really. Maybe just have some revs up there or something, viles were annoying to BFG down :p and for the 2nd part maybe a few more viles cause it is relatively easy to just BFG rush them currently.

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I think you're talking about Archi's part? Yeah, the environment makes me think there must be something terrible going on, but it turns out to be easier than the blue key path.

Northeast: It starts with an ominous red-brick chamber with no monsters (i think rdwpa made this one).  Then it leads into PepsiBepsi's northeast hell section to start, which has a very nice "starter pack" for resources and is easier than the other entry points.  From there it leads into Archi's seciton too, which isn't too bad and had some ammo too.  When I went into the blue south section it was pretty tense to start with so little resources.  If you enter the northeast seciont first, you can get Shotgun, SSG, Chaingun, RocketLauncher, and some Green Armor. 

The Tech section is tight on resources; the Brown section sorta gives you stuff once you peel away a couple layers; but the hell section ironically seems to be the safest first point if you are 1-shotting this with preknowledge.