Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Impromptu Minidido (Project Thread)

Stuff

I created two areas with my allocated tag set rather than reserving another batch of tags, hope that's alright. One area is pretty standard and has a couple of basic setpieces, the other is a hub type area that uses the wildcard tags. I haven't actually tested that the stairs in the hub area build properly cause i was rushing this particular section through... shout at me if not and i'll get em fixed when i can (next week). Weapon/ammo/health placement is entirely rudimentary and basically there so i could test the mechanics of things.

Edited by Scotty

Guys, I have some big issues in real life, so i'm not sure if I can do something with this project...

This is my section for this project. Basically some fast fights to have fun with the rocket launcher: there is a secret area fight which can be turned into non-secret aswell.

@Walter confetti: hope things going to be well.

Download:

im_p.zip

Here's my section, it's basically a fiery pit with lava and red rocks and evil thingies.

Notes :
- The FIREBLU-textured walls are placeholders and are to be replaced by junctions.
- You're supposed to take on this part with full health and (at least) the SSG and RL. Plasma Gun isn't required, but it would be a plus to help less skilled players survive the main encounter.

Impromptu_WH_v1.zip

Here's my second submission, this time i was able to properly test the map in time, so enemy and item placement is more refined than my previous attempt.

I made a bronze/brick zone open zone, that could connect from a techbase to a brick zone, by this point the player should have a ssg, and maybe a rocket launcher so i placed them at the beginning but they are to be removed, i went ahead and used the wildcard tags for both a teleporter and some platforms that can be raised in another section, but should this be hard to connect with the other sections, they could be left raised with no tag

Hope it fits well

dmphobos minidido2 v2.zip

Edited by DMPhobos : used the wrong tags lol

I made a small slaughter encounter o.O 

Should have the BFG and the shootswitch at the start isn't really needed but its there to wake up the monsters in this version.

DubzImpromptu.zip

11 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Here's my second submission, this time i was able to properly test the map in time, so enemy and item placement is more refined than my previous attempt.

I made a bronze/brick zone open zone, that could connect from a techbase to a brick zone, by this point the player should have a ssg, and maybe a rocket launcher so i placed them at the beginning but they are to be removed, i went ahead and used the wildcard tags for both a teleporter and some platforms that can be raised in another section, but should this be hard to connect with the other sections, they could be left raised with no tag

Hope it fits well

An extra connection would help here a lot. A wide one (384+) would fit well on the south side, directly opposite the wildcard area. That would have the added benefit of making some sort of cause-and-effect potentially apparent if a wildcard switch is hit for it in another area.  

10 hours ago, Roofi said:

Here is my contribution. Not sure if I have respected all the rules. I will finish everything necessary tomorrow in any case.

TimeofRoofi :P

There is an exit, no other connections, and this would take too long for a lock-in area with RL/PR only. I think the BFG fits it perfectly, though, making it much like a cathartic ToD spam map. The exit can stay for now because this might work as the final fight, but this will have to come at a point where the BFG is available. 

8 hours ago, Bdubzzz said:

I made a small slaughter encounter o.O 

Should have the BFG and the shootswitch at the start isn't really needed but its there to wake up the monsters in this version.

Moving around in this area feels pretty uncomfortable in prB+. ~75% of the available floorspace is a Sunder-like stepped terrace, and the greatly reduced handling there sort of mandates a "move around slowly in a circle while carefully placing BFG shots to carve space" approach to avoid the pit, which undercuts the fight's potential "continuous BFG spam" element, particularly since much of the ammo is in the pit. Picking up ammo in general there feels very awkward. Flat floors (or effect 242 as in sd20x7) would help a lot imo. I really liked the vile rush at the end.

17 hours ago, WH-Wilou84 said:

Here's my section, it's basically a fiery pit with lava and red rocks and evil thingies.

Notes :
- The FIREBLU-textured walls are placeholders and are to be replaced by junctions.
- You're supposed to take on this part with full health and (at least) the SSG and RL. Plasma Gun isn't required, but it would be a plus to help less skilled players survive the main encounter.

21 hours ago, Paul977 said:

This is my section for this project. Basically some fast fights to have fun with the rocket launcher: there is a secret area fight which can be turned into non-secret aswell.

@Walter confetti: hope things going to be well.

Cool stuff both, perfect additions to the late-early to mid game. @Paul977, I think the secret soulsphere and the mega might be best off switched. 

20 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

With time.

This sounds scary. I too hope everything will be okay for you. 

Some playthroughs for (1st versions of) Dubbz's and Roofi's since I guess they function as standalone maps. Yes at the end I was a bit tilted about how moving in the pit felt. :P 

minimisc_rd_demos.zip

Edited by rdwpa

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

This sounds scary. I too hope everything will be okay for you. 

There's nothing scary, is something that happens. I wrote about what me and my family passing but i'll write here too: my grandfather died yesterday at age of 88, it was long time sick, but it's always something that hurts you.

2800 - 2899 

Heh, after much thought, I decided to give this a try. I'll see what I can cook up in 2 hours heh.

Should be fun. 

ALSO, @Roofi, You probably should change the title of your submission (at least, the file name) cause, adding an "L" can change alot ;) 

(Impromptu minidiLdo) 

On 25/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, rdwpa said:

@Paul977, I think the secret soulsphere and the mega might be best off switched. 

Sure. I've added a green armor to tank a bit more on the first area, remove it if you don't need.

im_p1.zip

10 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

i still keeping reading the title as impromptu minidildo >.<

However lewd I may be, that never crossed my mind, because nobody needs minidildos.

It's more portable? ...what if it vibrates?

Anyways to put something of use in this post - I am interested in joining this project, but not sure I have the time to commit to it. For now I'll watch from the sidelines and if some time opens up for me I'll jump in. :)

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It's more portable? ...what if it vibrates?

Anyways to put something of use in this post - I am interested in joining this project, but not sure I have the time to commit to it. For now I'll watch from the sidelines and if some time opens up for me I'll jump in. :)

To respond in all seriousness, the deadline is midnight on 3/31. I'm not sure of what time zone @rdwpa means, but for the sake of argument, let's use GMT (I know, it's been superseded by universal coordinated time, but let's not worry about that for the moment).

At the time, I'm writing this, it's 14:23 GMT on 3/27, which means (as of the moment I'm writing this), you have just over 103.5 hours left in which to find the requisite 2 hours to design (per the rules on page 1) a short collection of sections and another hour or so to test and tweak your design.

I'm fully aware; thanks for the note though Pegleg! It all depends what's happening this weekend for me and if I'm going to be spending my easter weekend doing freelance work or not. Currently it's looking likely that I will be working, however.

room.zip

hope this will be ok

EDIT: fixed some stuff that break the rules (cage doors like in maap02 and missing dm starts for joining map sections

Edited by Walter confetti

@rdwpa

Quick question regarding usage of wildcard tags, if you add a wildcard switch i assume you set it to one of those set 4 tags, but how do you set a sector to respond to someone else's wildcard? do you just set it as one of the 4 given to you, do you mention it or do you just pick one contributor's set at random and  use it?

3 hours ago, DerFurer'sFace said:

@rdwpa

Quick question regarding usage of wildcard tags, if you add a wildcard switch i assume you set it to one of those set 4 tags, but how do you set a sector to respond to someone else's wildcard? do you just set it as one of the 4 given to you, do you mention it or do you just pick one contributor's set at random and  use it?

I'll change both to a separate tag that allows me to decipher the origins at a glance. 12123 = uses wildcard action tag by participant with 2100-2199 and affects wildcard sector tag by participant with 2300-2399, 1st (or only) such pair. 

On 3/22/2018 at 4:54 PM, therektafire said:

My submission is done :) I technically worked on it yesterday but I needed to take a couple of minutes today to fix a couple of texture and lighting issues and change one of the connecting routes because I forgot about the whole "no conventional doors" rule lol

When I read the rule about the size limit the first thing I did was draw a 3000x3000 square room which eventually became... a big 3000x3000 square demonic library! Because I mean its a doom wad, you always have to have a big demonic library :) I'd say it is medium/medium-high difficulty, it starts off with some hitscanners and imps on the top floor but in the actual library area there are some much tougher enemies, including some HKs, several revs, cacos and an archvile, would definitely recommend having at least SSG with a non trivial amount of ammo for this area, RL might not be so good because of the cramped nature of the walkways between the bookshelves. The goal of this room is that you have to find 3 secret book switches (it isn't too cryptic or dickish because the shelves where they are are clearly marked) to open up the area in the middle where a switch pops up to raise the level of the lava at the north end to allow you to pass forward, but first you have to get through a monster teleport fight after hitting the switch which you are given several shotgun and plasma gun ammos for >:) 

This isn't going to work in this form, sadly. 

The three bookshelves might be marked, but you have to hump a 16-wide section of the book part, out of the total 512-unit length (~3%). That usable strip doesn't look special, and the player also gets no feedback about what they are doing on two of them, no sounds, no movement. The third gives feedback only because it happens to be close enough to the voodoo doll closet to hear a sector moving somewhere. The only way to reliably solve this puzzle without foreknowledge is to decide that you are going to press use on each and every inch of these shelves. Even casually spamming use a couple dozen times on each, like people sometimes do, will likely miss it and leave the player none the wiser about what they must do. It has to be a thorough commitment to press use on the whole length of it, which is very unrealistic. 

The section of usable bookshelf needs to have a clear hint and some feedback when that section is solved. For example, a tiny triangular sector adjacent to it that increases its light level by 32 or more, and the entire bookshelf being lowered when it is solved. 

Another problem is that a fully stocked RL or PR is the minimum weapon that will clear all the monsters in under a few minutes. Plus the puzzle (even in a much more legible form), there's no way this can be done in just a few minutes even then, which won't fly for a 'lock-in'. (In quotes because it's possible to leave via SR50 within seconds without doing anything, but I'm considering that most non-4shockblast players won't try to just SR50 out before going downstairs.) 

Edited by rdwpa

Just now, rdwpa said:

This isn't going to work in this form, sadly. 

The three bookshelves might be marked, but you have to hump a 16-wide section of the book part, out of the total 512-unit length (~3%). That usable strip doesn't look special, and the player also gets no feedback about what they are doing on two of them, no sounds, no movement. The third gives feedback only because it happens to be close enough to the voodoo doll closet to hear a sector moving somewhere. The only way to reliably solve this puzzle without foreknowledge is to decide that you are going to press use on each and every inch of these shelves. Even casually spamming use a couple dozen times on each, like people sometimes do, will likely miss it and leave the player none the wiser about what they must do. It has to be a thorough commitment to press use on the whole length of it, which is very unrealistic. 

The section of usable bookshelf needs to have a clear hint and some feedback when that section is solved. For example, a tiny triangular sector adjacent to it that increases its light level by 32 or more, and the entire bookshelf being lowered when it is solved. 

Another problem is that a fully stocked RL or PR is the minimum weapon that will clear all the monsters in under a few minutes. Plus the puzzle (even in a much more legible form), there's no way this can be done in just a few minutes even then, which won't fly for a 'lock-in'. (In quotes because it's possible to leave via SR50 within seconds without doing anything, but I'm considering that most non-4shockblast players won't try to just SR50 out before going downstairs.) 

Ok, I will make those changes and upload a new version

On 3/28/2018 at 2:09 AM, rdwpa said:

I'll change both to a separate tag that allows me to decipher the origins at a glance. 12123 = uses wildcard action tag by participant with 2100-2199 and affects wildcard sector tag by participant with 2300-2399, 1st (or only) such pair. 

OK. That makes sense. Given the nature of the wildcard tag affected a feature elsewhere, I assume that we just do the following:

1. Select the linedef that will have the wildcard tag.
  2. Apply the appropriate wildcard tag (xx96, xx97, xx98, or xx99)
  3. Give that tag an action.

You said you will change the wildcard tag number itself (which makes sense for manageability), but do you intend to leave unchanged the wildcard action itself? Or will you change the wildcard action to suit the level you end up with?