Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nautkillius

Why GZDoom Builder doesn't work?

Ok. So, I download the latest GZDoom Builder, and when I open it, it gives to me a shit tones of errors XD (48). So i try to update it. Byt it also says to download the update manually, actually is a question, and if I say no, it closes. I will give to ya guys some images to help me out. also: (sry my english).

And, I will give you another question: WHY CAN'T I fking put a image? XD It says: failed proccesing the image.  WTF? Anyway...

You downloaded gzdoom builder or gzdoom builder bugfix version?bugfix version is more stable. Also you can try Doom builder x as alternative. 

Could any of you possibly give me a little direction as to how to actually install GZDoom builder? I feel completely dumb, I'm not familiar with Git and all that. I can't find any actual instructions on how to install it anywhere. I've just been using regular Doombuilder, but the extra features of GZDoom Builder are very enticing...if I could just get it to work, haha.

While MaxED developed GZDoom Builder, expanding on Codeimp's Doombuilder2, and as such added many features to the editor, he decided in January to quit the Doom scene over a, what I would call silly, dispute. However, ZZYZX stepped in and corrected some deficiencies in GZDB and called the fixed editor GZDoom Builder - Bugfix.

Since you have been using Doombuilder2 without a problem, the installation of either GZDB or GZDBBF is easy. Simply download the version you want and unzip it in a dedicated folder, but not in Program Files, for example C:\DOOM_EDITING\GZDBBF_r3004. If you want you can place a shortcut to the editor on the desktop. To open the editor just doubleclick the shortcut icon or the exe icon.

edit:

Of course the editor needs to be configured with paths to the IWAD/s you want to use and the mapping formats. See these video tutorials by AlysiumX.

Edited by Kappes Buur

19 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

While MaxED developed GZDoom Builder, expanding on Codeimp's Doombuilder2, and as such added many features to the editor, he decided in January to quit the Doom scene over a, what I would call silly, dispute. However, ZZYZX stepped in and corrected some deficiencies in GZDB and called the fixed editor GZDoom Builder - Bugfix.

Since you have been using Doombuilder2 without a problem, the installation of either GZDB or GZDBBF is easy. Simply download the version you want and unzip it in a dedicated folder, but not in Program Files, for example C:\DOOM_EDITING\GZDBBF_r3004. If you want you can place a shortcut to the editor on the desktop. To open the editor just doubleclick the shortcut icon or the exe icon.

edit:

Of course the editor needs to be configured with paths to the IWAD/s you want to use and the mapping formats. See these video tutorials by AlysiumX.

Hey thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately, my problem is I've downloaded the Bugfix version, and there doesn't seem to be any .exe that runs it. Attached is a screenshot of the contents of the download. I've tried running each of the .exe's in here and none of them seem to launch the editor. I've dug through the subfolders and haven't been able to find any sort of actual application or installer. Am I missing something?

Screenshot 2018-03-23 19.31.35.png

What you have there looks like the contents of the Github website, which you would have to compile yourself. And I certainly did not link to that site.

When you click on the link for GZDBBF, which I provided above, it will take you to the DRDteam website which has the already compiled editor files in 7z format.

Unzipping the 7z file gives you these files:

Y2CidJ0.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

Are there not any installation instructions with the install or posted somewhere online? Surely there must be otherwise how can people even use GZDoom builder?

In fairness GZDB itself doesn't need installing, you just extract it.

Honestly though, 9/10 times people have trouble loading the software is because they skim read the Download page and missed the bit about needing Direct X 9.0 and .NET Framework 3.5.

By the way @nervewar, the direct link to GZDB_BF is here.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

In fairness GZDB itself doesn't need installing, you just extract it.

Honestly though, 9/10 times people have trouble loading the software is because they skim read the Download page and missed the bit about needing Direct X 9.0 and .NET Framework 3.5.

By the way @nervewar, the direct link to GZDB_BF is here.

Exactly that was my problem XD. I forgot to download Net Framework XD

8 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

What you have there looks like the contents of the Github website, which you would have to compile yourself. And I certainly did not link to that site.

When you click on the link for GZDBBF, which I provided above, it will take you to the DRDteam website which has the already compiled editor files in 7z format.

Unzipping the 7z file gives you these files:

Y2CidJ0.png

Ok got it, that works, thanks so much!