Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
42PercentHealth

Pacifist Archviles??

Question

Hey guys, not sure if this is truly an "editing question" because I'm not sure if it is the result of something I did when making the map. I was playing around with an idea for the opening room of a map, and this room has only a berserk, 2 viles, and 2 pillars for cover. When testing, I noticed something very strange... the viles never attack me. I've attached the map and a demo.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on? This happens in every run... it's not just "getting lucky this time".

Thanks!

testingstuff.zip

19 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, bonnie said:

but putting another enemy in makes them work again ;~;

all that does is it forces the viles to do something after reviving a dead monster. You can put anything in a one sector map, even a cybie, and it won't attack.

Just checked out the demo, zoo wee mama that's freaky as buttons. wide-open room, punched repeatedly, and neither archvile attacked back over the course of 80 seconds.

I have no idea what would cause that, so my answer is: ...nodes? i dunno ;~;

edit: 

3 minutes ago, NoisyVelvet said:

but it's a nodebuilder thing i think.

holy frick i'm so smart

Edited by bonnie

Reasons why viles don't attack can include a blocked LOS, or too high distance between you and the vile. They have limited targetting range unless attacked themselves, in which case they might retaliate. Also keep in mind that turreted monsters attack less often than free moving ones, and when you turret anything, it still needs enough space to move to begin with, otherwise nothing will happen.

Just some random stuff without looking at your demo, because those are the most common reasons that I can think of.

These viles are in a small room with the player, plenty of space, plenty of LOS time. I am already aware of the limitations you mentioned, and they aren't the issue.

1 minute ago, bonnie said:

also question: what happens if they go into a pain state?

Not sure... I could probably include an SSG to make that happen.

5 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Not sure... I could probably include an SSG to make that happen.

I just tested it out. Nothing. Not in prboom+ on cl2 or cl9, not even in gzdoom.

BUT, putting another enemy like a pinkie boi anywhere in the room causes the archviles to work normally. vvv spooky. have you called a priest?

edit:

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Things do fuck all when a map has only one sector....

but putting another enemy in makes them work again ;~;

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

all that does is it forces the viles to do something after reviving a dead monster. You can put anything in a one sector map, even a cybie, and it won't attack.

Ah, okay. So I just need more map then.

Thanks a bunch!

10 minutes ago, bonnie said:

have you called a priest?

(I was about to call a priest)

6 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

all that does is it forces the viles to do something after reviving a dead monster.

no i mean they just work normally if another monster exists on the map right from the start

like i put a pinkie in and right away the archviles attacked like normal before the pinkie was even awake ;~;

ZenNode is a weird nodebuilder.  I am unfamiliar with the doom data-structures, but I rebuilt your testmap in something other than ZenNode, and then the viles attack you.

The problem might reoccur if you have too much stuff instead of too simple of stuff: like if you have viles attacking on self-referencing sectors or through jail bars, maybe.

edit: i say that because i had that problem before.  the "add a random unused sector" works sometimes but sometimes changing the nodebuilder works too

but it's a nodebuilder thing i think.

Good to know im not the only one with this problem.

I was creating a simple one-sector map with a lot of archviles but they dont attacked me.

I changed the nodebuilder and it worked.