Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

What comes first, Elementalism, Age of Hell or Mapwich 2?

Seeing as Mapwich 2 is basically done and only needs to compiled, I'd say that one.

Quality mustn't be rushed.

Killer stuff as always Bridge ;)

2 minutes ago, I_Punch_Demons said:

Is that last image inspired from a similar area in Eternal? 

Not directly but there are a lot of parallels between my style and Doom Eternal (circular areas, repeating iterative elements, lots of stairs etc). Definitely a lot of half subconscious influence from Doom Eternal on that map. You'll be seeing some more deliberate attempts at using DE design in the near future.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:59 PM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Update Time! Big post covering off the concepts around the new weapons with some shots (haHA) of them in action

Armoury Concept

Much like the bestiary, the weapons in The Age of Hell were always going to be something new, but feel fairly close to the originals. The tropes set forward by classic Doom are good ones and it didn't make sense to go too outside the box. But like all good things, this idea evolved into something slightly more ambitious. This was in no small part due to the legendary Amuscaria/Eriance (of Hellforged fame) throwing his hat into the ring along with TheMisterCat lending his coding skills to make the armoury into something truly unique.

New Found Power

The BFG  fulfills the same purpose as the classic version. Big, booming and always good for a crowd this bad boy will fulfill all your slaughtering needs. A few mechanic changes though, it now operates more like a modern equivalent with the tracers originating from the blast center. The downside now is that it will damage the player making it less suitable for close quarters

To help beef up your close range power the new plasma rifle comes equipped with a small amount of aoe damage on the standard fire.

New Tricks, Old Dogs

One of the things that I always felt would be an improvement is to remove the obsolescence that you get with the classic Doom weapons. The super shotgun, chaingun and BFG render the single shotgun, pistol and plasma rifle redundant respectively once you get their bigger counterpart. Yes there are specific situations where the lesser variant is more useful but this is rare. One way this will be changed in The Age of Hell is the plasma gun and BFG will no longer share ammo. Another mechanic we have added is alt fires to all of the weapons. You wont be able to spam these attacks but they should add a purpose to each weapon that makes it better than others in certain situations

Dragon Breath alt fire

Plasma Grenade alt fire

Baubles of Office

And lastly, the various pick ups are getting a rework. Voxels will be used for the majority with the power ups being something a bit special to help draw the eye and make them stand out. Most of the pickups will have the same function as classic Doom but there will be some new power ups to add additional spice to the gameplay

Heavy Armour

Sanctifier

Soulsphere

One last treat. Meet Age of Hell Guy

EASILY the wad I am most eagerly awaiting...amazing work BB!

I'd have rotated those Candelabras so that they were facing outward from each pillar in that first shot, if they're models and therefore can be turned :P

Obviously that's the worst I could think to say, faced with such gorgeous screenshots. I don't anticipate having a great time with this set, given the mappers making it, but I'm really excited to look at it "in the flesh". Maybe you'll surprise me and not stuff all of those beautiful spaces with monsters!

10 hours ago, Phobus said:

I'd have rotated those Candelabras so that they were facing outward from each pillar in that first shot, if they're models and therefore can be turned :P

Obviously that's the worst I could think to say, faced with such gorgeous screenshots. I don't anticipate having a great time with this set, given the mappers making it, but I'm really excited to look at it "in the flesh". Maybe you'll surprise me and not stuff all of those beautiful spaces with monsters!

While there will be a lot of.... rather large fights in aoh, we will be putting a lot of effort into balancing for all difficulties. The plan is to try and make everything *feel* similar on all difficulties (ie slaughter feels like slaughter etc) but adjusting for skill levels. This means not just an obligatory reduction in mobs counts as that will result in some spaces feeling empty and potentially lacklustre. We will be doing traditional things like swapping higher tier mobs out for lower ones, increasing the number of power ups etc but because everything is new and zscript is magic there are many options for more meta based balancing. Changing aggression/speed of monsters, reducing the chance of special attacks, increase health ammo drops, power ups lasting longer are all ideas that will be explored. 

TL:DR the goal is to make aoh fun and playable by as many different player skill levels as possible.

11 hours ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

Some WIP from my future map for this lovely project.

Screenshot_Doom_20200618_172031.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200617_144529.png

Man, if you aren't a level designer for an AAA gaming company yet, you definitely should be. :) 

16 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

TL:DR the goal is to make aoh fun and playable by as many different player skill levels as possible.

This sounds very promising. I'm already on your Discord, but perhaps I should volunteer my services for play testing lower difficulties when you're looking for that input!

17 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Man, if you aren't a level designer for an AAA gaming company yet, you definitely should be. :) 

Now whats I call a Nebula meltdown!

On 7/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, Kristian Nebula said:

I would rather launch my own independent studio if I had Insane_Gazebo's skills in level design.

On 7/7/2020 at 10:53 PM, Firedust said:

How many maps are already complete at this point?

None are 100% due to assets still being created (last big thing to finish are the weapons) but I've got a half dozen or so maps in the 60%-80% complete range. The guest mappers are just starting to wind up (been waiting for the assets to be finished) so there should be a lot of progress over the next 6-8 months.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:05 AM, Phobus said:

This sounds very promising. I'm already on your Discord, but perhaps I should volunteer my services for play testing lower difficulties when you're looking for that input!

I'll take you up on that mate if that's an offer. Definitely going to need testers for all difficulties :D

On 4/26/2018 at 6:58 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

You are master!!! I like hell-gothic style maps :)))

1. You use new big boss. You have two option to make this:

- Create dehack.txt and all compatible are happy. But dehack is not easy to understand how it work and create it... 

- Another way, you create custom boss on decorate.txt. It more easy but boom compatible will feel unhappy. On boom compatible you can make walktrought/demo.

2. You use slaughterfest style. 10.000 Monsters, chaos etc...

3. Some new icon of sin gameplay :)))) but it will bit boring.

On 8/20/2020 at 5:00 AM, Insane_Gazebo said:

Still working away at my map, slowly.

Screenshot_Doom_20200806_142822.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200617_144529.png

Fuckadoodledoo that looks incredible. I sometimes think about the work it must take to force this kind of architecture out of the Doom engine.  Surely it's time for a full 3d map format to allow for better tooling? Hope it's not all so symmetric though.

Mod looks great, love the new sprites too. Everything about this screams quality, right down to the monster spawn portal fx with the little parallax glimpse into the dimension they're harassing you from. Look forward to playing it!