Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

The level & weapon design is truly superb but the enemies made me feel like MEH.

Monster animations seem to have fewer frames than Smooth Doom / Beautiful Doom / early Metal Slug titles. It's not old school, it's eye rape. If the sprites are captured from smooth 3D anims, why not make them at least 24 FPS?

The Cyberdemon and his maul-wielding buddy look like overgrown imps with so much glow-mapping and self-shadowing that it feels almost like the art direction of Might & Magic VI / VII / VIII (those old first-person CRPGs).

The skull-headed big dudes (barons?) and the multi-armed small dudes (knights?) look plasticky, lanky and twitchy like they were ripped straight from a Redneck Rampage title. In fact, Redneck Rampage was my first thought when I saw the new monster design.

The dramatic posture and imposing physique of the vanilla Doom monsters is all but gone.

This seems to have been compensated by throwing in some more spikes of evil and overall edginess.

1[1].png

1[1].png

From now on I pray that someone will make a mod for Age of Hell that brings back the vanilla monsters and removes those which don't have vanilla counterparts.

5 hours ago, eierfrucht said:

-whatever this was-

Mate, it's a standalone game for a reason. Don't like it? No one's forcing you to play it :)

Regarding the RD2021 poster, something tells me the Age Of Hell hammer dude isn't in the picture, but there's a little chance he's the one next to Shelly? If someone could tell me, I'd also like to know who's the bloke in the middle and the one most to the right.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:46 PM, game said:

Regarding the RD2021 poster, something tells me the Age Of Hell hammer dude isn't in the picture, but there's a little chance he's the one next to Shelly? If someone could tell me, I'd also like to know who's the bloke in the middle and the one most to the right.

Shelly has the Graven Priest on the left and Amid Evil Champion on the right :) Not sure who the right-most guy is?

The robot is from UltraKill, the bearded weirdo below is the Dusk Intruder, next to him is a Warlock with a Project, then sitting even below is the Postal Dude. Graven Priest in the middle. Shelly and Amid Evil Champion, Caroline from Viscerafest, the Wrath guy with the mask and the glowing sword. Dunno about the last guy, either.

2 hours ago, Zaratul said:

Right-most guy is Turok. :)

To be specfic, Tal'set because he looks a little older.

1 hour ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

New loading screen courtesy of Substance20

bridgeburner56_comms_07-22-2021g.png

That's really cool!

Reminded me of this:

Iron_Maiden_-_Run_to_the_Hills.jpg

Will the weapons and/or monsters packs be released in the future?  I really digging into that crushader-like design and want to bring those Holy Might to smash variant monsters in other wads, tuu.🙂

On 7/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Zaratul said:

Right-most guy is Turok. :)

Why is he there? Is Nightdive teasing the announcement of Turok 3: Remastered?

23 hours ago, DoomBunny said:

Will the weapons and/or monsters packs be released in the future?  I really digging into that crushader-like design and want to bring those Holy Might to smash variant monsters in other wads, tuu.🙂

Yup! We're planning on releasing this as a mod as well to load with your favorite mapsets. There will also be an sdk to use as a resource to make your own stuff.

There might also be plans for a deathmatch weapons pack 😉

On 7/8/2021 at 8:14 AM, eierfrucht said:

Monster animations seem to have fewer frames than Smooth Doom / Beautiful Doom / early Metal Slug titles. It's not old school, it's eye rape. If the sprites are captured from smooth 3D anims, why not make them at least 24 FPS?

PROTIP: Developers will be more willing to listen to your thoughts if you have a little more respect than calling their work "eye rape". Vanilla Doom enemies having "imposing physique and dramatic posture"? I want whatever drugs you're on! Imps that look like gingerbread men and floating meatballs with two assholes? Very imposing! As are the zombies with green hair and the pink gorillas with buck teeth.

Also, not everyone likes the smooth animations of Smooth Doom/Beautiful Doom because it has a tendency to make things feel less punchy and impactful.

The enemy design looks great to me, much more creative and detailed than your standard Doom monsters.

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

will this also work on lzdoom or just gzdoom?

The Age of Hell ships with its own exe (which is derived from gzdoom). I should test the dev build to see if it works with lzdoom. I suspect not but it'll be worth investigating

3 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

The Age of Hell ships with its own exe (which is derived from gzdoom). I should test the dev build to see if it works with lzdoom. I suspect not but it'll be worth investigating

if it doesnt it would be nice if you could make a different version using another render like gleszdoom

i dont want to come off as too pushy its just that the thing stopping me from enjoying many of the gzdoom projects is the opengl 3.3 requirements

sorry if i am asking too much i just really want to play this when it comes out

22 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

No! But donations through Patreon are accepted.

okay  then , thank you. sooo erm i kinda couldnt find the down load link any where im probably missing some thing obvious am i

1 minute ago, FranziskaVonCaco said:

okay  then , thank you. sooo erm i kinda couldnt find the down load link any where im probably missing some thing obvious am i

There isn't any, this is mainly a "teaser"/preview thread of what's to come.

I mean there's already more eyecandy for TAOH than for 99% of actual released projects, so it's an easy mis-assumption to make if it's your first time seeing it.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, Bridgeburner56 said:

New loading screen courtesy of Substance20

Is there a bigger cover version to juxtapose with The Ultimate Doom cover art?