Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

Oh, is that amazing hell levels i've seen on post your doom picture thread! Good luck with your project!

37 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Oh, is that amazing hell levels i've seen on post your doom picture thread! Good luck with your project!

Indeed it is. This is their new home. Tell your friends

4 minutes ago, grouchbag said:

I completely agree with Walter.Amazing! Good luck from e as well. :D

Thanks

Good luck dude, the megawad mountain is an imposing one. Screenshots look great and atmospheric, though you're really gonna have your work cut out for you if your goal is 32 large, highly-detailed maps. Hope you give yourself and the player a break from time to time by punctuating the set with some breather maps. Or follow your muse :)

Ooooo, so you will be making an entire megawad out of the hell theme?

Hope you'll make it :)

Wow, those are some nice pictures!

One suggestion: In your first picture of the canyon-lands, the rock texture appears to be 128 units wide, and repeats itself in a manner that seems unnatural and detracts from the realism of that scene. Consider replacing that 128-wide texture with one that is 1024 or 2048 units wide.

I love the way the levels look so far. Keep it up!

9 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Map 01 - The Beginning of the End of All Things to Come

Awesome name for a first level of a Hell megawad.

9 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Map 08 - In the Halls of Awaiting

Inspiration - The central building is based on an actual building that I built (I'm a construction site manager). This really helped with creating a cohesive setting. If nothing else I need to finish this map and get it released.

Hopefully, it was only loosely based on the actual building that you built. Otherwise ... interesting client.

Man, this is looking so dope. I like your Diablo inspiration. You're doing an excellent job capturing the feeling of HELL that's for sure. Every screen has a sense of evil to it. Can't wait to play this.

honestly, i love your mapping style. keep it up!

my one suggestion may be to release it in fragments if that helps (like Jenesis!)

very impressive.

15 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Best of luck for your mammoth task. Those screenshots look dark and intimidating!

Cheers. I will be needing a bit of luck to get all the way but I'm feeling pretty focused at the moment. 

12 hours ago, Big Ol Billy said:

Good luck dude, the megawad mountain is an imposing one. Screenshots look great and atmospheric, though you're really gonna have your work cut out for you if your goal is 32 large, highly-detailed maps. Hope you give yourself and the player a break from time to time by punctuating the set with some breather maps. Or follow your muse :)

I will be trying to vary the map game play style and to be honest, I'll need to make some smaller maps just to cut down the production time. 

12 hours ago, Catpho said:

Ooooo, so you will be making an entire megawad out of the hell theme?

Hope you'll make it :)

Gothic/hellscapes will be the general theme as I always enjoy that style to play. I'm going to make an effort to step outside my comfort zone a bit though. Thing large, natural outdoor areas on level 1 are not my usual forte but I'm generally pleased with the overall feel. I really like the scope of the canyon. It FEELS big. Especially with the multilevel play on the pillars (thanks 3d floors)

11 hours ago, ReX said:

Wow, those are some nice pictures!

One suggestion: In your first picture of the canyon-lands, the rock texture appears to be 128 units wide, and repeats itself in a manner that seems unnatural and detracts from the realism of that scene. Consider replacing that 128-wide texture with one that is 1024 or 2048 units wide.

Cheers. Those textures are 256 (I'll have to check) but I see your point and agree. I'll try find a longer natural sand stone texture but I don't have anything in my current library (5000 textures at the moment). If you know of any in realm667 or similar let me know.

10 hours ago, Pegleg said:

I love the way the levels look so far. Keep it up!

Awesome name for a first level of a Hell megawad.

Hopefully, it was only loosely based on the actual building that you built. Otherwise ... interesting client.

Ha. It was a new building for a retirement home so yeah, that's exactly what it looked like ;) The overall layout was kept fairly similar but the big thing I drew on was the indoor/outdoor flow. Historically I have made very linear maps (much less so now) and basing the design on a fairly complex real life structure with lots of different access points was really fun. Then trying to layer the game play over the top was an interesting challenge. Normally I do them in rolling wave fronts. Do architecture for a few rooms/areas and then start laying mobs and creating scripts. Then move on to the next few areas. But with this map I had the majority of the level architecture completed before I started looking at how you would flow through it. 

9 hours ago, nervewar said:

Man, this is looking so dope. I like your Diablo inspiration. You're doing an excellent job capturing the feeling of HELL that's for sure. Every screen has a sense of evil to it. Can't wait to play this.

I'll be drawing a bit more from various games as ideas, either in theme or in pure visuals. I don't have a problem with being slightly derivative (after all is there anything created that is truly unique?) as long as the finished product has it's own flavour. It's OK to be inspired.

Also, happy levels are boring

9 hours ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

honestly, i love your mapping style. keep it up!

my one suggestion may be to release it in fragments if that helps (like Jenesis!)

very impressive.

Thanks. I am planning on doing a staggered release. I'll update the time line projections as i get deeper in and get a sense of progress. Depending on how lon gthings take I'll try do a release very 5 levels. That way even if I get thoroughly side tracked then I'll still get something out for public consumption. Especially level 8. The world needs to see that.

3 hours ago, Ponqo said:

thats some wicked architecture! good luck! :)

Thanks mate.

5 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Came home from work and made this ... shrine to blue armourScreenshot_Doom_20180320_215915.png.a959a19c8abe591b2854a9a59a8f6e5b.png

You gave romero a run for his money (compared to his green armor shrine!)

12 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Cheers. Those textures are 256 (I'll have to check) but I see your point and agree. I'll try find a longer natural sand stone texture but I don't have anything in my current library (5000 textures at the moment). If you know of any in realm667 or similar let me know.

Here is an example of a 2048 x 2048 sandstone-colored texture.

And here is one of a 1024 x 683 (wtf!) texture.

Do an image search for "tileable" or "seamless" rock textures.

this reminds me a little of bloodstain map29. which is one of my favorite hell maps by the way. the black marble faces - will you be using those?