Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

Very close to being finished level 2. I will be starting level 3 tomorrow regardless but I'll get level 2 to fully exitable and then come back on refine a few things later. I'm fairly certain how this one finishes.

Screenshot_Doom_20180401_233002.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180401_232752.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180401_232735.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180401_191203.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180401_232332.png

7 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Dude, put this on kickstarter, i might pay you to finish this.  Looks too good.

in my 13 years here, I've never seen this. That's how good looking this is.

5 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

in my 13 years here, I've never seen this. That's how good looking this is.

2 minutes ago, Gaia74 said:

OH MY GOD

7 hours ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

Dude, put this on kickstarter, i might pay you to finish this.  Looks too good.

Thanks guys. I have recharged on coffee and am ready to dive back in. Level 3 awaits!

Gah. I had done some sketches at work while I was bored and came home all focused to smash out some map but there's a massive storm hitting Auckland tonight aaaaaand power cut. Grrrr. It's a shame because a dark,  stormy,  thunder stricken night is perfect for crafting a bit of hell. 

This is what happens when you combine flat sectoring on a light texture, fine light gradients and multisectored columns. And 3d floors.

Chaos and madness5ad2c940768bf_Megawadat2018_04.1515-38-16.676R2787.jpg.c37773521b7d105e73513e95ec620a8e.jpg

4 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I hope there will be some nightvision goggles 😉

Those are for the weak! And those who don't eat carrots. 

The screenshots look a bit darker than it is to play so I don't think it's going to be a major issue. We'll see when I release the first few levels for playtesting hopefully around June

Ok so progress update (can yo tell I'm bored at work?). I'll chuck this in the release time line section on the front page too.

Aiming to have 4, MAYBE 5 levels out by the end of June for an alpha test (or if you're EA a full release). Jokes aside, they will be able to be completed and I will aim to complete a pistol start for each level which should give a reasonable balance test. I will know the maps forwards and backwards but I'm by no means a super skilled player (best claim to fame was completing map 3 of Plutonia from a pistol start on UV single segment). I will be going through and giving everything some final visual tweaks (map 1 in particular) but there is likely to be some stuff that can be improved, at least in my own eyes. 

Hoping that with 2 good weekends I'll be getting close to complete on level 3 and I have level 4 sorted in my head. If I get through that quickly I'll have a crack at a fifth level as part of the initial release.

After that I will be getting to levels that I had worked on in the past and will have large sections that are worth keeping which will hopefully speed up the next release date. An optimistic goal would be to do to more playtest releases (for a total of 3) taking me to level 12 by the end of the year. Ambitious, but if it was easy, it would be boring. And fuck conservative goals. No fun to be had there.

Lastly, thanks for the positive feedback that everyone has been chucking my way. It might not seem like much but it helps to keep the motivation up (I am a horrendous procrastinator) and I will not finish this in a vacuum. 

Bidgeburners - First in Last out

How you build detail maps so fast? For me one room cost 3-5 hours per day!!! And need something idea for room/gameplay design...

It's not always fast but I'm on a good roll right now, I seem to have discovered the 'vibe' of this map so progress is good but map 3 was a struggle to begin with. But it still takes a month minimum for me to make 1 level. If I have 10-12 finished levels by the end of the year then I will be doing well.

As for ideas, I just keep an eye out for anything that might inspire me. I have a notepad file where I make notes of things that might make interesting levels. I also take photos of buildings/environments in real life that could make for interesting levels.

And in reality I spend a lot of time on this. I'm not playing any other games at the moment, all my PC time is spent mapping.