Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell: FPS game for GZDoom - DEMO OUT

Good shit guys. For the record An ice themed level is on the cards (Hell freezes over?)

Interesting comments @jerrysheppy regarding the connotations and emotional associations with a certain hue rather than the absolute colour itself. (Blue being terrestrial/tech). When I come around to do a level in blue or green I'll think carefully about how the colours are used. I'll probably experiment with sector colours/glow more as well. I think purple will be easier to work with due to it's more otherworldly nature but we'll see in due course.

For the record, I'm mildly colour blind so if I refer to a colour and it makes no sense this will be why.

As I am mapping in GZdoom/udmf, i am not limited to a single palette (which can be very restricting) so if anyone know of any interesting texture packs pass them on. I might as well add to the MASSIVE library i already have (11,000 texture and counting. I really need to cut the ones out that I'm never going to use but I just need to set aside a couple of hours with slade3 to take care of that). 

40 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

For the record, I'm mildly colour blind so if I refer to a colour and it makes no sense this will be why.

Man, now I feel sort of like an asshole for going on and on about different color shades and stuff.  XD (Not that I could have known)

Thanks for being willing to let us talk about this in your thread.  I mean, obviously this discussion of hellish aesthetics is pertinent to your project, but it could be seen as a derail from the specifics of your levels and screenshots, which is what map/wad threads are traditionally about.  I wouldn't have blamed you if you told us to take it to a more general thread, but I'm glad you've appreciated and engaged with my thoughts and those of others like @Aquila Chrysaetos.

12 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

Man, now I feel sort of like an asshole for going on and on about different color shades and stuff.  XD (Not that I could have known)

Thanks for being willing to let us talk about this in your thread.  I mean, obviously this discussion of hellish aesthetics is pertinent to your project, but it could be seen as a derail from the specifics of your levels and screenshots, which is what map/wad threads are traditionally about.  I wouldn't have blamed you if you told us to take it to a more general thread, but I'm glad you've appreciated and engaged with my thoughts and those of others like @Aquila Chrysaetos.

Lol that's OK. I'm used to having a different experience when it comes to colour identification. 

I'm guilty of going on massive tangents so I have a high tolerance of others doing the same but as you say, this relates directly to my work and I like having all this input. I plan to make many levels so the more ideas fermenting in my head, the better. It's fun engaging with other people too. Keeps the motivation and excitement levels up. 

How about teal parts of hell? Or monochrome one(like hell is devoited of colours) or even use wireframe for one or two levels?

2 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

How about teal parts of hell? Or monochrome one(like hell is devoited of colours) or even use wireframe for one or two levels?

i actually have quite a few black and white textures that could be interesting. putting it in the note book

Still planning on releasing something at the end of next month all going well. I will admit that getting deep into map 5 was not part of the plan but progress is progress (map 3 still needs finishing but if I don't get back to it I'll drop in map 5 instead). 

Damn I'm just checking these maps out for the first time and I love them.  I can't wait to see more!  I was working on some hell-themed maps for my WAD but my HDD failed upon my moving and it was unrecoverable by the data recovery people I tried.  You've definitely given me inspiration to rebuild them and then some.

1 hour ago, LordTestes said:

Damn I'm just checking these maps out for the first time and I love them.  I can't wait to see more!  I was working on some hell-themed maps for my WAD but my HDD failed upon my moving and it was unrecoverable by the data recovery people I tried.  You've definitely given me inspiration to rebuild them and then some.

Nice to hear. This is a project that I started many years ago and it always felt too hard to try and resurrect and I'm glad that I got back into it. Loosing data sucks though. I've started backing up everything online as a precaution in case of a catastrophe

Yup, this megawad, Death Foretold, and the Quake Champions Doom Edition music pack shall = Fun times ahead.

Is the final boss going to be a custom enemy or an IoS wall?

17 hours ago, Gideon020 said:

Yup, this megawad, Death Foretold, and the Quake Champions Doom Edition music pack shall = Fun times ahead.

Is the final boss going to be a custom enemy or an IoS wall?

Uncertain at the moment. Not a big fan of IoS, there are a limit to how many 'good' icon maps are possible in this plane of existence. A custom boss is tempting but it would have to be something epic and awesome and i don't have the skill/time for that. We have a ways to go before final boss time though. Plenty of time to ponder the final boss of Hell

1 minute ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Uncertain at the moment. Not a big fan of IoS, there are a limit to how many 'good' icon maps are possible in this plane of existence. A custom boss is tempting but it would have to be something epic and awesome and i don't have the skill/time for that. We have a ways to go before final boss time though. Plenty of time to ponder the final boss of Hell

I'm rooting for you buddy! 32 Maps! 32 Maps! Go for 32 Maps! *waves pom-poms* :D

4 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Maybe you can have a non-linear map that involves going back and forth amongst key areas with some boss spawners. Who says you need an IoS when you can use the spawners without the actual Icon of Sin?

33 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

Maybe you can have a non-linear map that involves going back and forth amongst key areas with some boss spawners. Who says you need an IoS when you can use the spawners without the actual Icon of Sin?

I wont lie, that thought has crossed my mind (boss spawners without the standard Romero head)

Ok everyone time for an overall progress update

End of this month was my goal for releasing 4 levels for play testing which is looking slightly ambitious (as in not likely to happen) but fear not! There is a good reason. Level 5 has sucked me in so I feel like I need to finish that before I go back to level 3 and general 'proof reading' of the other maps. What I will probably do then is release map 1, 2, 4 and 5 together and slot map 3 in for the next release. So while the date that you all first get to play this will be a bit later, the overall progress is still, uh, progressing. Or something like that.

TL:DR First release delayed. Shouldn't change second release date.

So map 5 "Flesh Made Fire" is going to be enormous. Even for me.

This weekend's work -

Megawad_at_2018_06_04_22_03_52_975_R3027

Total map -
Megawad_at_2018_06_04_22_18_56_816_R3027

Pretty stuff

Screenshot_Doom_20180604_080455.png

I do like this lift
Screenshot_Doom_20180604_194615.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180603_233440.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180602_223630.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180604_222733.png

Keep the feedback coming! Not long till I get to inflict this upon the world.

5 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

What I did for my mod Awakening (whose latest version probably doesn't have this map anymore) was pit the player in a three-phase fight, wherein you face Ultra-Giga Badass the first time with all your gear in a basic arena (Well, not really basic, it was supposed to be a bay or something you fought in with a city in the background and everything was tiny), then you fought a ton of enemies in a tight space (easily the hardest part), then you had to fight boss again in the arena with a specific weapon that did damage only to him (It had a specific damage type that did 0 damage to everything else in the mod, but had FOILINVUL on its puffs to damage him), this time he has double health and you've no armor.

Though, admittedly, on the highest difficulty, you suffered so much damage that with 300 health and 150 (the highest you could get on that difficulty) armor, he could still on-shot you.

But you could do something like that. I modeled it very much on the Ares fight from God of War (2005) because it was awesome.

8 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Keep the feedback coming! Not long till I get to inflict this upon the world.

Looking amazing so far. Personally, I'm a fan of not many custom monsters, (I do like Afrit as a monster and I liked the way that Resurgence incorporated that and a version of the Plasma Marine that didn't run around like crazy) and no custom weapons at all. So that's the sort of thing I'm hoping for, although I'm just one person of many who seems to be very much looking forward to this.

7 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Ultra-Giga Badass

Love it

37 minutes ago, Degree23 said:

Looking amazing so far. Personally, I'm a fan of not many custom monsters, (I do like Afrit as a monster and I liked the way that Resurgence incorporated that and a version of the Plasma Marine that didn't run around like crazy) and no custom weapons at all. So that's the sort of thing I'm hoping for, although I'm just one person of many who seems to be very much looking forward to this.

Custom assets are one of the major things that  I will canvasing the public on. Once upon a time I thought that more was better and had 70 odd new mobs and at least 2 weapons on every slot up to #0 (this was around 7-8 years ago). Now I am much less attached to such things (and realised that this was bad game design) and am already prepared to remove them completely based on what feedback I get (probably do a poll). I've been much more restrained with custom monster placement mainly using them to add a little bit of flavour to fights while keeping the majority of the swarm vanilla so we'll see how that goes.

Been a busy few days so haven't had time/energy for a serious mapping push this weekend but i did get a bit done today.

I made a bridge (area is not remotely close to finished)

Screenshot_Doom_20180610_214121.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180610_214220.png

66,277 Vertices

82,455 Linedefs

148,152 Sidedefs

17,547 Sectors

5,628 Things

Needs more detail.

Looking sharp. I built a couple spiral staircases before, but never anything on that scale. I applaud you for your apparently infinite patience.

15 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Needs more detail.

Looking sharp. I built a couple spiral staircases before, but never anything on that scale. I applaud you for your apparently infinite patience.

Sometime I question the sanity of some of the things I attempt but once I've got an idea in my head I find it very hard to back away from it not matter how challenging it becomes. I hate deleting things if I've spent more than 5-10 minutes working on it. Hopefully it's worth it in the end!