Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

The Age of Hell (megawad)

Recommended Posts

So when is the "Michael Jackson's Thriller" fork going to happen???

 

Seriously though the new zombies look really cool, the walk animation is on point. More zombies is never a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post

This is a quality level where it normally starts being justified if you charge for it. Definitely on par with commercial releases from the looks of it!

Share this post


Link to post

I really like how cold these screenshots feel, for lack of a better word. The grey brutalist architecture and ice blue highlights make for a unique combination.

 

The new weapon looks absolutely badass, which should come as no surprise from the author of Hell-Forged. When you say "one of the new weapons", does that mean the entire arsenal is getting the Amuscaria treatment?

Share this post


Link to post

Judging by the pictures, this is an incredible job. I, as a perfectionist, look forward to the release. I hope it will be something excellent :)

Share this post


Link to post

The guy who made a wad called Hell-Forged doing weapon sprites for a wad made by the guy who owns a discord server called The Hellforge, heh.

 

Spoiler

EDIT: OH NO I BUMPED IT, I JUST SIGNED UP I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WEBSITE WORKS AAAAAAAAA

 

Share this post


Link to post

What's the gameplay direction of this mapset? Slaughter? Vanilla? 

 

I'm interested in testing maps if they have difficulty levels implemented.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Darkpixel said:

The guy who made a wad called Hell-Forged doing weapon sprites for a wad made by the guy who owns a discord server called The Hellforge, heh.

I actually named the discord server before I even knew of Hell-Forged's existence. I was amused at the irony too.
 

 

3 hours ago, warman2012 said:

What's the gameplay direction of this mapset? Slaughter? Vanilla? 

 

I'm interested in testing maps if they have difficulty levels implemented.

A mixture of gameplay styles but with the likes of Insane Gazeob, No Reason and myself making maps, slaughter will definitely feature. With a completely new bestiary and armoury it's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

Difficulties will definitely be implemented with UV difficulty being somewhere around Stardate 20x6 levels of hard. Thew goal is to have this accessible for just about all player skill levels so we will be putting a decent amount of effort into balancing all difficulty levels. If you (or anyone else) is interested in helping with testing, this will be run through my discord, hopefully starting early next year. Link in the OP but here it is again https://discord.gg/fp2espG

Share this post


Link to post

*Curls up on the ground, overwhelmed.*

 

EDIT: Serious question tho, when everything is released, will there be a standalone version of the weapon mod as well? I'm a sucker for new weapon mods to go with old maps. :D

Edited by Gideon020 : Additional info

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/21/2019 at 10:34 PM, Gideon020 said:

EDIT: Serious question tho, when everything is released, will there be a standalone version of the weapon mod as well? I'm a sucker for new weapon mods to go with old maps. :D

We are planning to release a standalone mod with that replaces weapons and monsters so you can play with your favourite wads, much like Tango's supercarger

Share this post


Link to post

As always, these look unbelievably amazing. Are we perhaps gonna see an undead hell or a thorn hell map since you're working on multiple directions for hell?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks everyone 😁 

7 hours ago, Octillion said:

As always, these look unbelievably amazing. Are we perhaps gonna see an undead hell or a thorn hell map since you're working on multiple directions for hell?

Episode 2 will have a death theme. Lots of skulls and green and black mausoleum style architecture. I'm planning on doing at least one ruined crypt style map as well. 

5 hours ago, Firedust said:

Are you doing layouts with no mons for now?

At the moment yes. With a full remake of the bestiary under way I've held off on too many monster placements on the last couple of maps. The areas have been made with gameplay in mind though, got some fun planned for you all 😉

 

9 hours ago, Terminus said:

You keep doing you my man ;)

Roger that o7 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Maps almost look too good to be abused as combat arenas. It's postcard material.

Just wait till its covered in the blood of your enemies >:D

1 hour ago, Firedust said:

Will the bestiary be completely reworked or will you be keeping the old mons too?

Originally I was gonna keep the OG mobs but in order to get better consistency visually and mechanically the old mobs are getting replaced with new versions. The mobs replacing existing ones will largely similar so they can be used the same way in encounters. (They will have some new tricks though). It's an evolving work front but the game play will still be the same fast paced combat that doom is known for. 

Share this post


Link to post

I hope that I one day will be able to make maps like this. Are those maps really made just by using doombuilder?

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, CBM said:

I hope that I one day will be able to make maps like this. Are those maps really made just by using doombuilder?

Yup GZDB-bugfix. The torches are are 3dmodels, the flames are a custom sprite, the textures are 98% OTEX (greatest texture pack everrrr) and then there's a bit of GZdoom magic. 3d floors, the odd portal, a full skybox and dynamic lights.

(There's also a couple thousand hours of UDMF mapping since Feb last year behind this as well)

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Yup GZDB-bugfix. The torches are are 3dmodels, the flames are a custom sprite, the textures are 98% OTEX (greatest texture pack everrrr) and then there's a bit of GZdoom magic. 3d floors, the odd portal, a full skybox and dynamic lights.

(There's also a couple thousand hours of UDMF mapping since Feb last year behind this as well)

Well, I must say that what can be done in modern doom ports and their tools is quite an improvement compared to the MS-DOS level editor and DeHacked tool I used in the late 90s :)

 

It seems I need to educate myself quite a bit about what can be done in modern doom maps, such as 3D floors, slopes etc :)

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

if this is still WIP, it would be nice if you made that more clear

 

You mean to say that screenshots of things being worked on aren't enough indication?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ([zen3001]) said:

usually the titles of these threads have the word "WIP" in them

I think it's pretty clearly a work in progress but thanks for coming 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×