A Level A Day

Bloodshedder

Torn announces that the release of maps in the Doom Advent Calendar has started today. This is, of course, a project where people contributed their maps, which are then released one-by-one every day in December prior to Christmas. And since it's actually December 2 in Denmark, you can grab "tomorrow's" map right now.

Heh, it's only 5:43 over here on Vancouver Island, so I get Map02 early! Yay me!

The linky thing won't work, so you can't grab the map without copy/pasting (or now in this case, clicking) this link.

The link on the site for the Dec 1st map works fine for me - it's kind of like a standard advent calendar, in case anyone hasn't gathered that. (Or if you were intending to give a direct link to the Dec 2nd map, then you failed it.)

Grazza said:

Heh, sorry...forgot to change the 1 to a 2. The second map linky wouldn't work. It's correct now.

I guess I'm just not as good as you at pulling obscene amounts of perfect links out of my hat.

No, I pull them out of my ass. That must be where you're going wrong.

Anyway, the second map is another winner (besides some texture glitches): a very well balanced map that forces the player to put the berserk to good use, but without requiring Vono-type skills. A comment in the txt puzzled me though:

Limit removing port. (May not run in jDoom, Legacy, or boom.)

I was curious to see what the map featured that required only removal of limits that wouldn't work in Boom (huge number of sidedefs? something that requires exactly Doom's linedef trigger model? spechits overrun??), but there turn out not to be any problems.

Being the author of map02 I can fill you in on that Grazza. It's very simple. I never tested the wad with those ports. So in the event that something didn't work, I wouldn't need to go out my way to fix it.

As for the texture glitches, I never noticed any. oh well.

EDIT: I see these texture glitches you speak of. I had fixed all of this shit and sent it into Torn. However, he used the original version I submitted. To make things even better, I just ran over my original good copy with this shit copy.

Fucking Christ on a crucifix!

Bloodshedder said:

It goes by GMT (denmark is GMT+1), because I thought that would be most fair.

EDIT: Since I have the login information for torns website from when making the calendar webpage I took the liberty of adding a download link and changing the 1s to 2s in the headline.

EDIT2: ... and ofcourse the name in the headline.

Both maps are very nice, but something tells me map02 was made with ZDoom's way of tysoning in mind :P.

POTGIESSER said:

As for the texture glitches, I never noticed any. oh well.

Fucking Christ on a crucifix!

Sorry for that, :(
    I was kinda sleepy yesterday when I was fixing the map for december 2. I will fix that, and sorry Potgiesser for that problem.

EDIT: should be fixed now with a new version of Potgiesser's map

Grazza said:

No, I pull them out of my ass.

Ah, so that's your secret!

Heh, POTGIESSER...whatever your name means...you shouldn't doubt yourself when it comes to mapping. Your map was pretty damn good! I'm off to download the updated version now.

I'm glad this has taken off. It's a shame Christmassy textures aren't being used but still, kudos to everyone involved.

POTGIESSER said:

Fucking Christ on a crucifix!

Now there's the spirit of Christmas. ;)

Nice map. In fact 1 & 2 are nice maps. Both have been good fun to play.

I didn't keep up with the development thread to avoid spoilers, but I wouldn't mind a little spoiler-ette: Do the maps progress in size (or anything else) to a climactic finale on the last day or are we simply getting treated to what each mapper allocated to each day wanted to submit? Either way is fine (obviously), I'm just interested.

-_DLD_- said:

Heh, POTGISSER...whatever your name means...

It's spelt POTGIESSER and although I do like my marijuana, it happens to be my real last name.

Secondly, STOP FUCKING POSTING SO MUCH!

That was fun.

Torn said:

Sorry for that, :(

Yeah no worries, I knew it wasn't intentional.

Yay, #3 is out. Bigger and nastier (in a hellish way) than the last 2 with a bit more back and forth logic to it. Another really good map. Slightly less to my personal tastes, but that's not a comment on the quality.

Hey Torn, Sorry for not finishing my map. Too many things came up and I didn't have time to work on it. Glad to see that you are still trucking though, Too many things get started and never finished these days. Glad to see that this wasn't one of them.

Aleaver said:

Well, if you can finish a map, it would be cool.

Wow! Holy Sh*t! That's one great idea! Thanx for that calendar! Things like this brighten up my life, really!

Torn said:

Well, if you can finish a map, it would be cool.

I could give it a try. I did start one. It may not be too big in size though.

I really like how the site design turned out, hopefully it actually fills out (!). I don't know when my map is going out, but I still need to do a text file for it..

msquid said:

Map 3 (Temple of Lust) by Use3d is fun.

And you aren't kidding. Execution of that map is ace. I think I had at least 3 (2 I can think of the top of my head) near death moments but I managed to prevail nontheless (on UV) with health pretty much always around the 50 mark. I think I used up every health kit as well. I absolutely loved it. Grats!

The first 2 maps were very enjoyable as well with lots of engaging and delightful moments. Can't wait to see the rest :)

I'm getting "page not found" for #4 and when typing what I think the direct url for the file itself should be. :(