A Touchy Subject

Trasher][

Trasher][ said:
    With any luck, iPhone/iPod Touch users will be tapping Imps to death soon!

Have you ever looked at an imp and said to your friends "hell yeah I'd tap that!"? There's an app for that.

Csonicgo said:

Ahaha..

I need a new iTouch, my old one broke just as I got the iphone DooM beta :( (no I don't have it anymore, my touch is busted, so don't PM me you selfish bastards! :P)

Finally, I've been waiting for this since hearing about its announcement following the release of Wolf3d; and the only other game I have is iDracula.

It's out! Controls seem pretty good considering the platform. Haven't tried multiplayer yet.

id software said:
    Wield unforgettable weapons like the Chainsaw and the BFG 9000 while fighting through notorious monsters like the Imp, Cacodemon, and Hell Knight!

Hell knights in Ultimate Doom? <insert picture of snowy owl here>

Got it already, and it's pretty cool. The graphics' colors are much more saturated in comparison to the previous versions, which is weird yet simultaneously pleasant to see.

Can't wait for PWAD support on this. Wonder if this port has its limits removed? What codebase is it forked from? It supports the TNTEM cheat, which was introduced in Doom95 if I'm not mistaken. (Cheat input is invoked by tapping the screen with four fingers - there's no console thing, unlike Wolf3D, and the gameplay goes on during input.)

Carmack replaced the tilt-to-turn mechanism in Wolf3D, which worked pretty well, with this rotating knob thing that allows for very precise or very quick movements. It was kinda disappointing at first, but it does work well after some getting used to. The translation stick now has the option to be dragged along with the finger movements as default, but I disabled it, as I found it makes moving around quickly too difficult. Anyhow, playing Doom with proportional movement speed with this relatively erratic input mechanism is kind of awkward, even if refreshing. The sensitivity seems to always be a bit off -- I keep running in not exactly the direction I wanted to. Again, getting used to this will likely work after some time, but an 8-way thingy would be nice. The controls also do not allow a practical manner to shoot while turning, other than stretching any of the fingers that are holding the device over that hand's edge and tapping the icon. I tried superposing the attack button with the spinner, but I ended up always shooting when turning since the icon is so large.

Here's hoping the upcoming updates bring in Doom II (like the latest Wolf3D version has Spear of Destiny for free.)

spank said:

Um no, TNTEM is a Boom cheat. It's derived from the PrBoom source code.

fraggle said:

Um no, TNTEM is a Boom cheat. It's derived from the PrBoom source code.

Oh, that's great then. I stand corrected!

spank said:

It is very possible. Try using the weapons cheat (idfa), and tap the face to get the weaponlist. There is an empty "dblshotgun" slot.

When i saw thisi thought you were gonna start talking about sex. IDoom is awsome, it plays...o...k, but over all it is very well done.

Zetta said:

When i saw thisi thought you were gonna start talking about sex.

this is a Doom forum

If ever there's a news post here about sex it will be "Doom fan has sex."

Creaphis said:

"Doom fan has sex."

Come on that will never appear here. This is the news thread, not fan fiction. ;)

MP2E said: