Building of Doom

kristus

Codeimp just announced that version 2.0.1.1157 of Doombuilder 2 has been released. The changelog includes a lot of additions and changes that most likely will please anyone using it. Don't be left behind, go get your copy.

I'm not done yet. The feature requests list is long, so I'll be working towards the next version. Sorry if something I promised is not in this version, it will probably be in the next one or another, depending on priority.

I'd like to comment on one request in particular, which is undoing multiple undo levels at once. This is currently made possible through plugins and I will make a plugin soon that provides this functionality. It will also have the ability to mark a point in time and be able to go all the way back to a previous marked time with a single press on a button.

A little note on the latest version: If you find that ZDoom gives an error when launched, you may want to go to your zdoom.pk3 resource and check the option to exclude it from testing parameters. (ZDoom doesn't like being told to load zdoom.pk3, it already does that automatically)

The first release always crashes/won't start on my Xp. But works in Vista.

Is this some sort of a problem/bug and has it been fixed in this latest release?

EDIT: Nope:(

I downloaded it and it still won't open.

As ALWAYS, ZIP version please. AS Again why? Blame M$ for NET 3.5 being a waste of 622 MB space on C while i have 427. I won't upgrade my HDD just for that. Since my computer runs DB2 beta well :|

Also the old R950 beta WORKS WELL without any crashes with NET 2.0 which I DO HAVE.

Oh dear, a little demanding, don't you think?

But your logic is not as good your demands. .NET 3.5 is required because .NET 2.0 did not suffice. The setup will install that because it is required. Not because I just like to install .NET 3.5 on your machine when 2.0 is enough. It isn't. A zip download is not going to help you. A harddisk from the last century does help.

CodeImp said:

CodeImp, this sounds like a great feature, but have you seen Paint.NET's undo history list? Sorted descending, it's possible to click on any part of the history to go back to it, and it's about the best undo management I've seen in such a program. This may suit DoomBuilder as well. :)

And thank you very much for the update!

CodeImp said:

Oh dear, a little demanding, don't you think?

I see, thanks for clearing that up. That problem will be solved possibly in 2011/2012 because i'll be probably upgrading by then. Well not a big deal, DB2 Beta R950 does everything I NEED to create zdoom/gzdoom/ST wads with new DECORATE without a hitch and conflicts. :D ALSO I'm planning to make my next system partition about 35 gigs so heh. Because windows 7 will take about 20 GB and 15 GB will be necessary for drivers/directx/NET/VB/updates stuff haha. Alright, that's what i wanted to know.

alterworldruler said:

No offense, but is it really all that painful to just dish out some cash to buy a proper 300GB hard drive so that you won't have to worry about this sort of thing ever again?

Hard drives really don't cost that much.

CodeImp said:

Exactly my thought :) but it won't be a floating window.

Perhaps a toggleable section in the bottom right, alongside the main information bar? Talking of which, I've noticed that on the left, where it tends to display sector, linedef and thing info, text tends to "overflow" and disappear in large-font modes.

It's really hard to de-select things now. I have to either click everything I've selected again, or double click outside, which starts a new line.

Is there an option to change this?

PS: Thanks for making groups of copied Things snap to grid. :)

What boris said, or, go to Preferenes -> Editing and turn on "Automatic clear selection in Classic modes" that gives you the old behavior where clicking outside the map clears your selection as well.

hardcore_gamer said:

Hard drives really don't cost that much.

It's not that easy. I have two 80GB IDE HDDs (from 2002) and one 250GB SATA HDD (Only DATA Storage though, BUT i was thinking recently to make a 25-30GB Partition on it for XP or any newer OS) + SATA DVD Burner/reader. The STUPID THING is, blame my motherboard as it only supports two IDE and two SATA Devices only, not more. I'll get around that at one point possibly once my OS fails hard later.

alterworldruler said:

What exactly do you have on your computer that fills up ~410GB of disc space? That's not Microsoft's problem, they don't make hard drives.

Little bit of bad news; there appears to be a bug in the DB2 which makes it currently impossible to release a Mass Undo/Redo plugin. The bug is triggered when more than 1 level is redone at once. This is not possible to do without a plugin, so you won't have this problem when using the latest version, but it does prevent me from releasing this plugin.

Good news is that I'm probably going to put it in the core instead of a plugin, which means it will probably be a docked list on the left or right side that is continually accessible (instead of having to press a key).

caco_killer said:

Seriously. This computer has one 180 GB harddrive and I've never come close to filling it. It's about half full now, and most of that stuff could be burned onto a DVD or just plain deleted at a moment's notice.

Though I guess I do fall near the opposite extreme of the file hoarding spectrum.

Creaphis said:

I have a 250 GB internal harddrive, and a 500 GB external drive. I have plenty of free space on each one right now. The only time I really fill it up is when I record games with my capture box or FRAPS. Anything else I just install when needed or back up onto a DVD.