Chex Quest 3 released

master lockwolf

Chex Quest 3, developed by original Digital Cafe member Charles Jacobi, has been released as a standalone wad. Five new maps blasting through the Chex universe plus five new flemoids and lots of great detail gives for a solid set of maps. Also, he compiled Chex Quest 1 and Chex Quest 2 into this wad and updated them. Find the standalone game here or details on it here.

Why do people always put the damn quotes? It just results in something that doesn't work, neither on the newspage (links to doomworld instead) nor in the thread (where the links are non-functional because of double quotes).

I just downloaded this and gave it a try, and it's excellent. Not only does it include a brand new episode, with new maps and monsters, but the original levels have also been improved and cleaned up. It's pretty much everything you would hope for from a Chex Quest sequal.

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed by the way this mod has been created. Instead of actually using ZDoom's features to create custom content all the changes were made to the internal definitions in ZDoom.pk3, making it a major hassle to add proper support for it, or play it with GZDoom's GL renderer.

It's neither compatible to Doom.wad's nor Chex.wad's definitions.

And they made some source modifications but the only source link I could find was for an unchanged GZDoom 1.1.3 version which is clearly not what is in the download version.

Definitely better than "The Ultimate Chex Quest".

I don't like the new SLURP sound though, doesn't seem to fit, ditto for some doom sounds that replaced previous chex sounds

leileilol said:

Definitely better than "The Ultimate Chex Quest".

Definitely better than pretty much all fan-made chex wads.

leileilol said:

It's kind of strange how, in the ending, Doom's D_BUNNY is used. Doesn't fit at all.

This is cool. I love the extra monsters and artwork but it really is a shame that they didn't follow the "rules" for making a Zdoom mod. It makes it very difficult to add native support for this WAD to Zdoom.

Somewhat ironically, Zdoom has only just got native Chex support for the original cereal box release.

Erm, I really like that one of the original Chex Quest team made it, and the new artwork and textures and levels all look fantastic. But the later levels seem to be very annoying. Level 2 requires that you find a secret to exit; level 4 does the same thing. The amount of ammo is very lacking on skill 4, making the whole experience pretty impossible by the time I got to the end of level 4 (where I finally died). Level 5 looks kind of Aliens-esque, but that's fine; it's also ridiculously crowded with barely any ammo.

So, much like Mario Kart, a kid's game/mod is a frustrating thing to play. Not so good :(.

I too ran into a bit of trouble in the third episode. But it was largely due to the crazy easyness of the first two where I just blazed through killing w/o worrying about such insignificant things as ammo and health. :p

kristus said:

The first two "episodes" are actually Chex Quest 1 and 2, from a time long ago when Doom levels weren't very difficult.

You know, I never would have thought that this would get on the Doomworld news. Glad to see I was wrong. :D

Yeah Chex Quest 3 is epic since Chex Quest 2 was relesed about 10 years ago.
    I dislike ZDooM, but there might be a fan made GZDooM version which I would applaud.
    But the levels and graphics even in ZDooM are awesome.

MikeRS said:

Try running ZDoom on Linux or Macintosh and you'll think twice about that statement.

Since you are allowed to willingly choose to use an OS that isn't supported by a majority of software, software devs are also allowed to willingly choose what OSs to support.

ZDoom can be compiled for Linux. But of course, if there's bad drivers or a screwed up installation (which for inexplicable reasons seems more common than one might assume) there may be problems.

That said, I generally would like to use Linux occasionally. What keeps me away is the impression that it's more trouble than it is worth. As a primary desktop system it sure doesn't qualify for me for very obvious reasons.

Regarding Macs, we'd very much like to support them. However, none of the developers got one so some help is needed to make it work (and keep it maintained.)

I managed to Wine this fine.
    The only hitch is vid_hw2d which needs to be set to 0 or you get some weird effects going on as Wine fails to emulate DirectX.

Jodwin said:

Considering that ZDoom is the only thing I might want, but can't run, it's not that big of a loss.

Graf Zahl said:

Good to know all my problems getting ZDoom to even compile in the first place are bad drivers or a screwed up installation, rather than something as mundane as FMOD being a piece of crap.

In comparison with latest ZDOOM/GZDOOM releases this standalone mod doesn't work under win98, even updated with recent fixes / patches.

aleksej said:

that's because he compiled with a version of visual studio that puts artificial "XP!!!!" requirement limits to whatever it compiles.
    Brace yourself for heartless "who cares about win9x" posts from pure ignorance.

leileilol said:

Not only artificial

aleksej said:

Does it help? (never try it myself)

leileilol said:

"who cares about win9x"

I figured I'll just quote your text instead of wasting time writing my own. Oh SNAP. :p

MikeRS said:

Why are people like you always blaming the software that works on most other systems if there's problems? Something must cause the problems - and it must be in some way specific to your particular system. FMOD isn't doing any magic. It just uses the available low level sound APIs.

BTW, an OpenAL sound implementation is already worked on.

leileilol said:

Brace yourself for heartless "who cares about win9x" posts from pure ignorance.

Good to know. Since I own a VC 2008 I was considering switching over to it - but knowing this I'll pass.

GreyGhost said:

How delightfully subversive. I hope it's depriving Microsoft a fortune through lost sales. :D

Seriously, although this compiler behavior is not nice, why are people still using a 10 year old operating system that's more or less obsolete?

While I wouldn't recommend Win9x for new hardware - lack of suitable drivers probably renders that option impractical - there's still a place for that "obsolete" OS on equally obsolete hardware - like my P2-333 DOS-Box. There's also an older generation of PC users - like my mother - who are not interested in the current batch of resource-hogging games and see no reason to upgrade from Win9x while it continues to serve them well and run the games they like.

Back on topic - it's good to hear you're cleaning up the Chex Quest code.

Graf Zahl said:

Same reason they're playing Doom or Chex Quest, I suppose...

Making an analogy between playing old games and running ancient operating systems is hardly fair. In the former's case, only the "OMG IT MUST BE CRYSIS OR NEWER" nuts will care; in the latter, people will just think you're insane in general. Windows 9x is an atrocious system even for the time it was released, why anyone would still care to run it is just mind-blowing. Besides, the usage numbers don't really warrant the need for software to still support it (Mozilla decided that since only like 0.5% of Firefox users ran Win9x (any version), Firefox would no longer support it; I don't see many complaints).

Graf Zahl said:

BTW, an OpenAL sound implementation is already worked on.

FMOD must be doing something else for it to fail so much. Out of curiosity, I just tried compiling ZDoom again (last tried about a year ago). Still didn't work, and hey it's a newer FMOD, but still the same old problems.

It can't even be my system configuration causing issues; new distribution, new computer, new OS install since my last try. There should be a poll for the number of people that can actually run ZDoom on Linux versus the number of people who have tried...