Chocolate Tastes Better than Vanilla

Bloodshedder

fraggle writes in that he's released version 0.1.1 of his Chocolate Doom port. If you haven't heard about it, Chocolate Doom is an SDL-based Doom port that aims to emulate the original DOS executable behavior as closely as possible.

10/18/05. Coincidence? I think pretty much everyone saw this coming. Talk about trying to steal the thunder from Quake 4.

AndrewB said:

Yeah, Raven is gonna be pissed they got one-uped.

Error: Error setting video mode: No available video device

OH GNOES!

Edit: Uh, right. I exited my chroot and then re-entered it and it worked. Anyway, this is sex.

Edit again: Is there any way to change to sound output to oss? SDL sounds like arse on my machine.

exp(x) said:

Error: Error setting video mode: No available video device

OH GNOES!

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=oss

One problem I have with this that I do not experience in the original .exe (just now tested it to make sure I'm not crazy), is that if I'm holding down the shift key (running) and I press any other key simultaneously, I am no longer running.

Makes it virtually unplayable for me. :(

Other than that, I see no apparent problems. Good luck fraggle.

EDIT: I just noticed that in the "Read This!" screen, you can see the skull cursor in the lower right quadrant of the screen. Happy bug hunting :)

Something like that can and does happen in Doom; right after you start the game, and I also experienced it in Chocolate Doom. But I was just now in Chocolate pressing both run and forward simultaneously and they don't fail.

The thing is, if you have a key pressed down as it starts, it won't do anything until you let go and press it again. So if either both or forward fail you don't move, and if speed fails you just walk.

Since the start up for either engine isn't exactly the same, reproducing the effect on either isn't identical, but it happens on both that keys fail to read input if pressed too early.

Were you using Doom under DOS or Windows? Start up might be different under DOS (we know it is in some senses, like you can shift your direction before the screen is loaded when playing on Windows.)

If you're getting this problem all the time (not just during startup) you might be having some issue that depends on your system.

In Doom I've also had combinations where certain keys will fail, when pressing 3 or more keys simultaneously; such as being unable to press use while strafe running in one direction (though use still works from the mouse then.) Not sure how much that depends on hardware though, if at all.

EarthQuake said:

Nah, if you think that's a bug go tell whoever built Doom's menu code.

Certain keyboards don't properly signal if a certain number of keys or more are depressed; old keys either get "lost" or the new ones never register.

myk said:

If I read that correctly, you say that turning in advance should be done in Windows? That is not the case. Back when I still had that 486, I used it many times in DOS, actually it was very easy because the screen used to load for quite some time (especially when loading a large map).

Bloodshedder said:

If you have a list of keyboards that don't exhibit this behavior, please share it.

Bloodshedder said:

Makes sense; mine's an IBM keyboard from the late '80s.

Donce said:

Yeah, my mistake... this talk brings something else up, though; that the "pre-turning" thing doesn't work in Chocolate Doom, like in PrBoom and whatnot.

EarthQuake said:

Makes it virtually unplayable for me. :(

Are you absolutely sure you're using the latest version I released on the site? I ask because I had a bug like this in older versions which I fixed.

Other than that, I see no apparent problems. Good luck fraggle.

I haven't changed anything here. This is the behavior of the original Doom :-)

Thanks everyone for your comments.

myk said:

Makes sense; mine's an IBM keyboard from the late '80s.

As far as I know, though, it isn't a function of when the keyboard was manufactured. More than likely it's either a microcontroller limitation, a bus limitation, or an operating system limitation. If it affects both certain PS/2 and USB keyboards, then the bus is thrown out as a factor.

In some situations, the keyboard will stop accepting input beyond a certain number of keys and just cause the PC speaker to beep while the extra key is pressed. Other times, it will keep repeating the last key that is depressed, ignoring further keys that are pressed.

I am basing these observations on keys that produce printable characters. I don't know if keys for controlling, such as control, alt, arrows, etc. behave any differently.

ultdoomer said:

So will you be allowed to record COMPET-N demos with this?

Compet-n rules have been very clear and consistent on this over the years: the demos must be recorded with the original DOS exes. The fact that a demo plays back with the DOS exes is not enough on its own.

I'd be very surprised if that were to change now.

Grazza said:

Yes, but that's probably bacause the features in the original executable-compatible sourceports (like PrBoom) allow you to have greater control of what the end result will be (slow-motion, demo joining, re-recording). But this port aims to be just like the original executables, like PrBoom, but without the extra features. In the post in the General Forum, it says it'll even go so far as to include the fatal bugs the originals had (like VPO).

ultdoomer said:

No, it's to provide a completely level playing-field. See this post by Adam_H too.

I think added features makes it an unfair playing field (with PrBoom). Chocolate Doom doesn't add the new features, so I was hoping it would be okay.

It is not a problem with my keyboard. I have played doom.exe on Windows 98 and Windows XP and despite any attempts, I cannot recreate the bug I experienced with latest build of Chocolate Doom that I downloaded the day before yesterday. I have even tried multiple keyboards.

Sorry, but I am certain it is not a problem with my system.

Concerning holding multiple keys: In Doom, I can hold down strafe, run, open, and two arrows keys simultaneously and not lose any response. In Chocolate Doom, I was losing my run after holding down only two keys simultaneously.

As for the cursor in the "Read This!" screen, you're all correct. It is indeed a bug in the original game; I just never noticed it before <!>
    Sorry for the false bug report.

well done Fraggle, I love chocolate. I can hardly wait for someone to make a butterscotch doom now.