Doom For $100

Linguica

Wise fwom your gwave, Doomworld. Anyways, one of the major questions about The Children's Machine, that weird cheapo laptop for third world kiddies, has been answered: yes, it plays Doom. Does this mean we may see an influx of Brazilian schoolchildren? No, eu penso não. Thanks Phillip Pi.

its not necessarily for kiddies, but is intended for school children of third-world countries. its officially called "The 100 Dollar Laptop" and runs some distro of Linux. The software is fully capable of running Doom3...though, obviously, the hardware is not :-)

It boggles my mind how you can power a laptop with a crank..... strange.

SoM said:
    Three words: slow news week

Yeah. Is it that surprising that someone got Doom running on a 366MHz x86-based system running Linux?

Zeroth said:
    It boggles my mind how you can power a laptop with a crank..... strange.

That's okay, it still boggles my mind that one can power a laptop without a crank. Or a power cord... :-)

leileilol said:

I wonder what opengl capability that thing's got, can anyone check glxgears

/me plans 30-mb oa fork

lolz ATI. sorry man :-p

Zeroth said:

lolz ATI. sorry man :-p

but oa runs great on Radeon(r300+ core) in linux, in some ways faster than windows :O

Zeroth said:
    lolz ATI.

Is it even that good? The Geode GX has a built-in video controller that seems to be 2D-only. It predates AMD's takeover of ATI, at least.

(Or am I missing something and there's a second video controller in the Children's Machine?)

Looking at that screenshot, is that some Doom port running at a high resolution? Look how small the status bar is. I thought the game was running all choppy just because the computer was so crap but that makes it look like they're trying to run it at 1024x768 or something and the laptop just can't handle it.

Linguica said:

Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose of playing at a high resolution if you have to shrink down the screen size in order to get a decent framerate.

I want one of those damnit! How about making some 100 dollar computers for some poor college students, too? :(

FYI, they replaced the crank for a pull string on those laptops a while ago. I was rather fond of the crank, myself. :(

Bite me, the ripcord is awesome.

sargebaldy said:

*crank* *crank* *shoot* *shoot* *crank* *crank* *shoot*

YOU SICK FUCK.

Ya that dates bit is really rather hilarious.

So is dying on E1M1, but I'm willing to pass that off as being done for the sake of video or due to the fact that the game controls looked like crap.

Also, yay for doom!

Snarboo said:

Would be kind of fun to whip out a chainsaw and pull the string.

REEEN!! REEEEEN!!

Bucket said:

Bite me, the ripcord is awesome.

YOU SICK FUCK.

*crank* *crank* *open* *crank* *shoot* *crank* *die* *crank* *load game* *crank*