E3 Wolfenstein Trailer

kristus

The new Wolfenstein trailer from E3 has been posted on Gametrailers.com, this one showing off several clips of game play, demonstrating some of the powers you'll get in the game, with the player basically disintegrating legions of Nazis.

am i the only other person who predicts that this game is going to be really disappointing?

bardcat said:

It's just you: Wolfenstein edition! Except that, wow that looks like a proper comeback of B.J.

bardcat said:

Yeah I know what you mean. It's like they just threw Prey, Doom 3, and Indiana Jones into a blender or something. That doesn't mean they don't have room to pull off good gameplay, though.

Too much science fiction, that is not what wolfenstein was. Those weapons/gadgets do not fit in this game.

Why do I have the feeling that we will not see that game be released in Germany?

I played Return to Castle Wolfenstein a little while ago and liked it; it's a solid, appropriately jingoist and campy return to the original premise. But, that story has now been told, so I guess the problem is that the developers weren't sure where to go from there. This will probably be a fun game, but, by making the tone of the game more serious, and by giving BJ superpowers, Wolfenstein has jumped the shark. If it were up to me, I would implement the mandatory escalation of sequels by turning the camp and jingoism up to 11. The Nazis' plot would be even more absurd than that in Return, and there are plenty of conspiracy theories that could be milked for material. Let's say that the Americans discover that the Nazis have built a base on the dark side of the moon (which they reached from their launch pads in Antarctica) and it's up to BJ to stop them. But, does BJ need fancy shmancy veil powers to kill space Nazis? No sir. All it takes is some good, old fashioned American gumption.

Wolfenstein is best when it's a parody of itself.

Worth an try just because its Wolfenstein, anything else and I wouldn't be interested enough to buy it. I hope the single player isn't over in an blink of an eye, nice and long and very hard bosses this time.

It looks very nice.

CodeImp said:

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. Though, that's not going to stop me from giving it a play through.

CodeImp said:

Are you kidding me? Wolfestein 3d had a robot Hitler and zombies in it.

Plus i really like the idea of a nazi shooter where you use futuristic weapons. Otherwise this would simply be yet another World war 2 shooter and we have like a million of those already!

CodeImp said:

It most certianly WAS what Wolftenstien was. From Episode 2 on to RTCW there was definitely a supernatural bent to it.

Is Gummelt working on this one? I'd love to see tripmines and bouncing betties surprise-implemented.

The flamethrower could have looked more intimidating. That long neck makes it presented poorly. The stock fire footage with alpha-blended outlines seems to have come out of the year 1998. I really hope they'll change that in a patch or so, as even THAT doesn't seem very Raven (There's better fire in SOF2 and Quake4).

hardcore_gamer said:

Are you kidding me? Wolfestein 3d had a robot Hitler and zombies in it.

All this is what Wolfenstein is all about, RtCW used futuristic weaponary as well. But would also like to see more standard WW2 weapons on top of the futuristic ones. More weaopons to use adds to replay value. This is what I liked about COD4, quite an bunch of weapons to choose from.

I don't think I had this futuristic/science fiction feeling with the original wolfenstein (but maybe it was a bit, it has been ages ago I played that). Yea I remember hitler in the mech-tech-whatever-bot-machine, but that was just that bit IIRC. When I look at this trailer it just feels too big a science fiction contrast with what I remember from the original game.

boris said:

Possibly because Germany has laws banning any gaming content that relates to Nazism?

CodeImp said:

No I disagree. Most of the bosses of the original were in bionic-mechanical suits and it also had that three handed zombie that both shot a pistol and did the double hand salute. Oh and I forgot about the giant mutant with the chest mounted Gatling gun...

But I don't necessarily disagree with you on the new game.

I'll wait to see what some people think of it after release before deciding I'll buy it.

Kirby said:

heh, that was his point.

TheeXile said:

*in a low, evil voice*..."I know where you live..."

Anywho, yeah, I just dirty-happied my pants after seeing that trailer!

Yeah, sci-fi and wolfenstein dont go together. Both wolf3d and rtcw had supernatural elements but that's entirely different. The only vaguely sci-fi thing that happnened in either was mecha hitler, and really it was just a metal suit with chainguns and rocket launchers, not Mobile Suit Gundam: Hitler. This new world thing will be a huge failure I have no doubt.