German Billboards Meet Their Doom

Ralphis

German artists, who go by the monikers Mr Talion, Epoxy, Baveux, and Kone respectively, recently modified some billboards which they dub a "Tribute to iD Software". You can check it out over at their Flickr page.

I wonder what the public reaction will be -there are always "concerned" assholes citizens with too much time on their hands- but unless they used WolfSS themes, I guess they will get away with it.

I suck so much ass. I swear I suck at starting new threads. Every time I go to the news submission forum I press new blog and make a blog by accident like a retard. Oh well, I suppose this is fine for blogs

No. The only reason Doom2 isn't allowed in Germany is because of the Nazi references in the secret Wolfenstein maps.

kristus said:

... which of course is as pointless as imaginable. I don't think anyone here with a genuine interest in Doom has this crippled version. :D

The main reason for the ban was the graphic violence. But yeah, pretty ridiculous.

Those billboard mods would've worked well on the recent election posters.

neg!ke said:

The main reason for the ban was the graphic violence.

That's something different. It's only a restriction but no ban.
    Nazi symbols, however, are illegal. You cannot sell any computer game with them in (but in movies they are fine - yeah, makes perfect sense.)

kristus said:

Yeah, it's about time they stopped that nonsense.

I think they are still under a "victor imposed treaty" of sorts -technically, Germany was still under "allied" occupation until 1990, and probably they had a lot of clauses imposed on them from above, including unconditional banning of nazi references. Makes sense if you consider when and where those laws were approved, and how unthinkable it would be to consider revisioning them during the occupation period.

They pulled pretty much the same thing on Japan for different matters, but eventually gave up on that one.

I don't quite know what to think of this. I can't really offer an opinion until I answer this question.

Cool, but is it Art?

Patrick said:

Cool, but is it Art?

Don't over analyze dude, just enjoy it or don't! Art is in the eye of the beholder!!

Creaphis said:

Dang, he's almost out of chainsaw ammo.

Ughhh i just noticed that. I'm sorry german painter guys but that's a fail.

To some people this would be considered a death threat. It is a happenstance sort of thing.

geo said:

To some people this would be considered a death threat.

We call these people "idiots" and mock them for their idiocy.

Here are two cool sentences at once: one from topic's header and another about that ammo for chainsaw.
    Bravo )

I don't think this is art really. Although it can be translated less to love of iD, more wanting to go on a rage against marketing.

This is seeking to express anger and hatred against adverts, but itself uses a popular commercial product to do so. OH THE IRONY.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say its not art, and fails at its purpose, but it doesnt change the fact that it looks totally fucking sweet.

myk said:

Pretty ironic way to "rage" considering DOOM is a commercial product.

Which most people played in its shareware version, I'd guess.

I don't think Doom ever used billboard advertising, by the way. Shareware distribution to get known, and hype. Ads in magazines, sure; especially for what was published after Doom II (I don't remember seeing ads for Doom II itself, though there surely were some; but Ultimate Doom, Maximum Doom+Master Levels and Final Doom, yeah).

They slapped the HUD on some ads? Fucking lame. Looks like something only a twelve year-old with photoshop should be proud of.

I realise I'm being harsh, but just because it's big and in real-life doesn't excuse the obvious lack of effort or skill involved.

Rrrright, because obviously it takes zero effort to get that stuff printed off and stuck up. How about you just accept it as the affectionate tribute that it is instead of being a dick about it?

I'd already seen this from a couple of friends in Berlin who'd been on location at one of the sites takin' some pics :>

Cybershark said:

A monetary effort of having the printer make the copies, plus any fees required to paste the ads. I'm pretty sure destx referred to a graphic design effort, though. I mean, yeah, we're DOOM fans, but let's not get angry when someone states the inevitable.