Get it? Gnu or new? Anyhow, version 1.7.7 of the Doomsday Engine has been released, with small bugfixes and features, such as:
- Graphics glitches fixed: high-resolution flats with alpha channel were garbled, possible sector lightlevel overflow on clientside (e.g. jHexen map 26), jHeretic status bar flickering.
- -texdir2 option wasn't working correctly. The texture paths were checked in the wrong order.
- Switch texture pairs are now loaded at the same time. This removes a momentary stutter when using high-resolution textures.
- Support for custom particle textures, somewhat akin to S.Zenith's particle mod. The differences: textures must be named ParticleNN.ext, where NN is a two-digit number between 00 and 31. The first texture is thus e.g. Particle00.tga. pt_tex* flags are defined in Special.ded and begin from the value 100.
- Flat particles stick to planes and follow them if they move (both floors and ceilings).
- Particle radius may have a random component (Generator:Stage:Radius rnd).
- jDoom: console variable player-air-movement added. Controls the player's movement speed while airborne, allowing jumping onto ledges. The default value is 1, which is quite weak but effective enough.
However, possibly the most interesting part of this news update is that the Doomsday codebase has been released under the GPL, and now has a Sourceforge project.