GZDoom 0.9.7 Released

Dittohead

GZDoom, a ZDoom-based port which includes OpenGL support and a host of other features, have reported that they are up to version 0.9.7. The new release contains mainly bug fixes with no updated features from the previous version. You can check it out here.

BlackFish said:

Dont forget to mention that it's Zdoom + Legacy.

Truly a (death)match made in Heaven, yes?

About the only thing more sexworthy is EDGE.

You're lucky. Or you haven't updated drivers. It crashes sometimes between levels for me and a few others. Graf runs a Geforce, so I have to wait for ATI to fix it, if they ever do.

kc32 said:

Could be. My last driver update was back in April so that very well could be the case.

kc32 said:

That's the strange thing. It only seems to happen to a minority of ATI users and I really need help from someone who experiences the crash. I need to create detailed debug output on a system that is having these problems.

BlackFish said:

Dont forget to mention that it's Zdoom + Legacy.

Just a little clarification.

FraggleScript support doesn't automatically mean that all Legacy levels will run. Levels that exploit some Legacy-specific behavior of the engine will most likely not.

Legacy and ZDoom are far too different that any attempt to be compatible with both engines will fail somewhere. Fortunately most levels don't rely on such quirks.

EDIT:

IMPORTANT: Due to a semi-serious crash bug I released a new version. Please replace 0.9.7 as quickly as possible if you want to have particles and 3D-floors at the same time.

Graf Zahl said:

Well, go ahead and e-mail me... whatever that is. I'll try to get it to crash over my lunch break or after AC/DC Electronics.

THanks. But I need a litle time to prepare a debug version for this problem. I'll send it as soon as it is done (meaning, after work.)

Szymanski said:

I can't get the aspect ratio to look right, it's squashed with black bars at the screen edge. [EDIT] screenshots are being rendered with the correct ratio. Level transitions work fine.

Let me know what I can do to help.

You have to calibrate your monitor. It stores settings for each resolution with each refresh rate and apparently the setting the game switches to hasn't been set yet.

For anyone who experiences this crash in level transitions, here is a test version. Please start this with 'gzdoom +logfile log' and if the game crashes send me the file it generates. Hopefully that gives me a clue what is happening.

This version is not suitable for normal play because it outputs a lot of text to the console.

Hey, what's DOOMSCOR.DAT? It gives me a fatal error because it's not there.

Never mind, I just created a blank file for it and it worked.

kc32 said:

Hey, what's DOOMSCOR.DAT? It gives me a fatal error because it's not there.

Never mind, I just created a blank file for it and it worked.

Ooops. Seems to me that I forgot to comment out some unfinished code. That's not supposed to be there. Don't worry. It's nothing critical and AFAIK won't even be used in that version.

Nothing yet. It's the start of something purely experimental.

I had this idea to store the times I need to play the game for comparison and the first thing I did was to write the code that loads that list. Guess why it prints an error message even though it shouldn't. I haven't even tested it and it was not supposed to be in there. I don't even know whether I ever finish it.

Ok, I e-mailed you the log file along with the crash log. Damn, you weren't kidding about the log file size, 690K for 3 maps! It looks like it crashed loading a sprite.

EDIT: I just got an "undeliverable" message. So I have to start over again.

Hmm. It seems I forgot to update my email address here. I had to deactivate it some time ago because it got flooded with an intolerable amount of spam. Updating right now.

You HAVE my attention! Starwars Legacy "may" have found a new home. Problem is, this thing seems to love skipping frames on my 9000 pro. Choppy as hell for some reason.

I just uploaded 0.9.9. This version contains some changes to the texture code which is causing these crashes. Could you please test it again with this version?

Are you really interested in the technical details?

Ok. I deleted arrays of textures which contained empty entries. I changed that for the last version.

Does it still crash for you?

So far it hasn't crashed. I managed to play all the way through Zen Dynamics without any problems.

Ok, I'm a little confused. I've never worked on another source port aside of Legacy, and have never worked with the Hexen format.

How do I set 3D floors in the ZDOOM DOOM Hexen format? There seem not to be Tags anymore?

Also is it then possible to do sloped 3D floors?

XDelusion said:

Also is it then possible to do sloped 3D floors?

Sectors still have tags. But linedef specials use 5 arguments to each special type instead of just one tag. Logically if an action is tagged to a sector one of these arguments will be the tag you are missing.

Let's just look at a simple type, opening a door. It is defined as:

Door_Raise(tag, speed, delay)

That means the tag goes into the first argument field but with the remaining parameters you can create much more versatile effects than just with a tag.

3D floors are similar:

Sector_Set3DFloor(tag, type, flags, alpha)

Again you set the first argument to the tag of the sector where you want that floor and use the other parameters to specify how the 3D-floor will behave.

Ok, I see, 160 now sets the 3D floor, and the Floor and Ceiling settings are the reversed of how they are in Legacy, thus I have to think backwards. Kinda strange but I get that much so far. :)

Before I try to make this 3D floor sloped, I want to know if you can do the translucent floors of legacy, so that it looks like you are walking on glass or a force field or what ever?