id Launches New Website For Rage

kristus

A few days ago on id Software's website they put up the announcement of an all new Rage website being launched. The website features videos, screenshots and much more about the game and the developers.

iirc the game supports dx9, so it should be able to run on computers with windows xp. it will also run on consoles, which are (the current generation) the equivalent of a few years old pc hardware.

anyway, i´ve always wanted fallout as an fps game. i trust id to make a game more reminiscent of doom´s carnage, rather than those tactical shooters prevalent today.

Fiend said:

Probably won't run on any computer that I could conceivably have in the next five years.

I wouldn't say so. Carmack got it running on a fucking phone.

kristus said:

Nope.

Wrong.

[EDIT] And before someone comes in and tries to say otherwise, Zombie is an internal actor name. Somebody didn't get Gez's joke. :P

Xaser said:

Wrong.

Heh. While it's true the game seems to refer to those zoned out dudes doomed to be turned into Acolytes by the converter as "Zombies", they're definitely not the same kind that are in Rage ;) They're just regular men that the Order seems to have already brainwashed or injected or whatever they do to people to make them docile ;)

I do admit that the zombie apocalypse would be rather disappointing if they turn into those types... :P

If thats the engine that will be firing my beloved TES series from now on, then Halleluja!

For Rage itself, lets see how that rolls out, pun not intended. :)

Bastet Furry said:

For Rage itself, lets see how that rolls out, pun not intended. :)

The new TES is using it's own new engine rolled by Bethesda, called Creation.

Fiend said:

While I hope that the large outside areas don't crop to slow down my GPU, the character models themselves don't seem much more detailed than in, say, Wolfenstein or Starcraft 2.

I hope that Rage won't copy interface elements from CoD, Wolfenstein or other games, and that it will be moddable. Otherwise it will be unremarkable.

Finally, do you have any idea who's that mean-looking man in the trailer ending?

golem.de said:

Das Entwicklerstudio Bethesda Softworks hat es "Creation-Engine" getauft: [...] Ganz neu ist die Technologie nicht, denn sie basiert auf der Gamebryo-Engine von Emergent Game Technologies (EGT)

In English:
    Creation is based on Gamebryo.

Fuck -.-
    That will again mean distinction between inside and outside and as such a fscking loading screen when entering and leaving buildings. Thats so nineties!

Bastet Furry said:

In English:
    Creation is based on Gamebryo.

That makes more sense. I was a bit skeptical wrt. a genuinely brand-new, from scratch advanced 3D engine; especially from people who have been using middleware since 1998.

(1998 is the year when they started working with NetImmerse for Morrowind. NetImmerse is what became Gamebryo when Emergent bought NDL.)

With fallout 3 (including Vegas) and borderlands out so recently, I think the post-apocalyptic wasteland with punks theme is going a bit stale.

lupinx-Kassman said:

This is kind of my worry with RAGE. It seemed novel at first but now with everything else coming out that seems just like it, I'll blend in with the others. That's not how an id title should be.

There is that mysterious "twist" in the storyline somewhere. Maybe it switches to hell on earth, and that's why Doom 4 has been so secretive.

Fiend said:

Nah, it'l be awesome. If I understand correctly, it adjusts detail on-the-fly to keep the framerate constant, which, is incredible if you think about it.

phi108 said:

lol, I hope they don't try and make it into doom 4, but a "twist" in the story and setting would be great. I'm still assuming there's alot of places in the game we've yet to see and surely because of the technology the artists can do a variety of settings easily... If they learned anything from doom 3 it's that people like variety. Let's hope they deliver

I hope not. :( I want Doom4 to be its own game :/

Also, the dusty canyons, dune buggies and bandit mutant freaks all scream Borderlands clone to me. :/

Didn't Rage's annoucement predate Fallout 3, Borderlands etc, technically making them the clones?

I do mean that as an actual question.

Even the tiny bits of character animations and models I've seen in the trailers/screens blows anything F3 and Borderlands have done out of the water.

Vermil said:

I do mean that as an actual question.

At least Borderlands.