It's Shaderific! Doom 3 Edition

Arioch

Saw over at Beyond3D that Carmack has confirmed in a Q&A that, given recent NVidia driver improvements, he has removed the NV30-specific rendering path from Doom 3. All recent cards should now use the ARB2 rendering path.

Read their article here. No animals with this news update, mwahahahahaha!

I havn't read the article, but thanks for the no-animal news. It's appreciated.

How can you appreciate a no animal news article!!!???

That hippo cheered me up though. Thanks Fredrik.

And the more important thing about that article if you noticed, JC implemented a nice shader system with nice materials so Doom 3 could havr alot of PS2.0 effects :)

Fredrik said:

phew, thanks. I was getting all distressed there. damnit arioch, don't change a winning team (or, in this case: theme).

Oh come on dammit, the animal thing was only fun the first time - try something new, or try with some more bizarre animals instead.

God only knows where this thread might end up if I don't break the monotony of the "animal" kingdom, so I'll ask another question to see if I can alter the course of humanity.

I'm currently using a GeForce FX 5200 128MB card...just go ahead and tell me outright if I'm going to be forced to buy a better card. Go on, I can take it. I'm a big boy.

Century said:

DOOM3 is designed to work with far less capable cards so it should be fine. As for resolution/texture detail etc we'll have to wait and see.

Century said:

Would be a good idea to get a Nicer card such as a Radeon 9800 pro or even a 9700, for the full experience of doom 3. And since JC just implemented a lot of shader effects it would look nicer on a truly DX9 compatable card.

But if you dont really care about graphics that card should be OK

dsm said:

Lighten up.

Intel17 said:

But if you dont really care about graphics that card should be OK

Huh? Didn't Carmack recently stamp the GeForce FX as the best possible card for Doom 3?

Lighten up.

I am perfectly lightened up :-)

dsm said:

Carmack is a paid a crapload by nvidia, i'd wait until actual benchmarks are released. It's a lot like the ati/valve situation, ati pays valve a ton of money and suddenly nvidia can't to anti-aliasing, shader performance is crap etc.

Szymanski said:

shader performance is crap etc.

Well it's confirmed true by Carmack himself.

Though now with the aforementioned driver improvements he got rid of the NV30 specific path and went all ARB2 instead so I suppose the issues have been resolved.

TomD666 said:

How can you have a newspost without any kind of LIFEFORM!? :(

Does this mean Arioch is a zombie? Or a bot? Dammit, I'm confused.

Epistax said:

Is it bad when you see a picture of your mom on a cryptozoology page?

Tell me she's a cryptozoologist. Please.

Arioch said:

Well that was a useless reply to a useless bump.

This is a useless reply to a useless reply to a useless reply to a useless bump.

Heh, the irony, it's painful.

Here's another useless reply to a useless reply to a useless reply to a useless bump