Map07 Done Pacifist

Linguica

Among Doom speedrunners even suggesting the idea of doing Doom 2 Map07 pacifist was enough to get you laughed at and cyber-spit on. However a crazy man posited that such a run would be theoretically just barely sort of kind of maybe possible, given some vagaries of the Doom engine and picture perfect execution. So naturally someone did it. Will wonders never cease?

Linguica said:

Hell, there wasn't even a place for it in the compet-n table.

Scuba Steve said:

So nobody ever thought of trying this before?

Given the fact that the distance you need to travel is basically the exact farthest distance you can possibly travel with the most ideal conditions, it's not surprising.

I believe this has come up a few times in the past, so to reiterate from the Compet-N FAQ:

"Q: Do you guys have a life?

A: Actually, no ;)"

Scuba Steve said:

So nobody ever thought of trying this before?

Linguica said:

Yeah, it's not just that you have to be running at top speed in exactly the right direction. You also have to be at precisely the right coordinates at the time when the engine makes its calculations. This is to get the full benefit of a weird "levitation" effect arising from an engine bug. Any further forward or backward at that point, and you fall too low and don't reach the platform.

I presume that Vile adding a rocket boost to Dashiva's original idea gave him a margin for error, though I imagine it was very small indeed.

It's not that no one had thought of it, just that it was thought to be a physical impossibility until Dashiva's new research into the precise dynamics that make it possible.

First rocket jumping off a mancubus now this

I didn't realise you were allowed rocket jumps or to even fire your weapons at all in pacifist runs(!) Is there a demo category called "stealth running" or something? Maybe I just got it mixed up with that, heh

RjY said:

First rocket jumping off a mancubus now this

You are allowed to use weapons, blow up barrels and all that in a pacifist run; you just aren't allowed to directly or indirectly hurt monsters (causing infighting does not count as indirectly hurting monsters, though).

This makes me wish I could run demos. Why can't they just re-record these demos in a normal video format instead of having to do some gayzor crap with PRBoom or whatever?

Um, wouldn't that be like rendering text files to bitmaps just because you don't want to do gay crap with Notepad?

Job said:

What's the problem with using prboom? All you need to do is

prboom -iwad doom2.wad -playdemo pa07-041.lmp

which really takes less effort than posting on the doomworld forums. :)

Schneelocke said:

What's the problem with using prboom? All you need to do is

which really takes less effort than posting on the doomworld forums. :)

You're allowed to run this demo with PRboom? :D

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered that prboom doesn't work on my computer. :(

gemini09 said:

Demos worked fine for me with Doom2.exe.

If, and only if, your computer is capable of running doom2.exe. In which case, my XP doesn't do the trick.

NiGHTMARE said:

Have you tried Dosboxing it?

May I ask how one would use dosbox to see the demo? Games in DOS don't work for me at all anymore.

Your computer is likely a mess if it can't run PrBoom, but you could also try Eternity or even Doom95 to watch the demo in question. Doom2 could work with Windows 95 compatibility on and -nosound, as well.

myk said:

Your computer is likely a mess if it can't run PrBoom

Prboom used to work for me too. But since a long time ago, it doesn't. If I start game, the game starts but the screen is al black and my monitor displays some "VGA mode not support". My guess is that my monitor cannot handle it or something.

DOOM Anomaly said:

Perhaps you could try messing with the CFG's video display settings, if you haven't. By default PrBoom runs at 320x200, and perhaps your monitor doesn't like that? You could try setting it to a more Windows friendly resolution, like 320x240 or 640x480.