Mordeth Not Dead Yet

Bloodshedder

Mordeth wrote in about his latest yearly update to the Mordeth TC Site. Seems like that disease World of Warcraft has afflicted quite a few people lately, but he's recently gotten over it.

Portals is where it's all at nowadays in Mordeth-land. Can't imagine doing stuff without those now. Levels look more life-like with added details and perspective on floors and ceilings. In many cases it's actual easier to use a portal instead of old-fashioned detailing. For example, creating a ceiling with some details (beams, skylights, perhaps a moving ceiling fan) over a floorplan with eg. lots of crates used to be a pain... now, you can just leave the ceiling bare and slap on a ceiling portal to add the details much more easily, using much less sectors and in much less time.

That's only one of the paragraphs, so you might want to check out the rest.

He says it starts to be like build. Only that Build didn't make see through portals. It just made water effects and ROR. You couldn't actually make what he is making with Eternity, which looks very nice indeed I must add. Once the next step is completed, Eternity will be the most powerful Doom Engine in my book.

Now, if it only could get Multiplayer.

kristus said:

Great... then it can join ZDoom, Vavoom, Legacy, EDGE and Risen, which all already are the Most Powerful Doom Engine(tm), too. :)

kristus said:

Actually, you could make see-through water in Duke 3d.

SoM is currently working on interactive portals, which will allow one to travel through the portals and bounce around like it's all level geometry. Can't wait to see what that leads to!

Mancubus II said:

Hot shigawire! THAT will be fucking awesome. :D

He has shown screenshots previously of it sort of working (I don't know quite how far along) in #zdoom some time ago. I don't know if he still has them. SoM's site has some some shots of him flying around a multi-layered level.

BBG said:

Actually, you could make see-through water in Duke 3d.

technically, yes, but unless it was done right it was a bit of an ugly hack. however there was one map trilogy that pulled all kinds of neat tricks with duke3d's build engine, but i can't remember what it was. it was kind of creepy and the first map was devoid of enemies, if i remember right.

kristus said:

Actually in the blood version of build (and the shadow warrior version too I believe) you had full portal ability. In blood there was a train level where you could blow out a wall and a ceiling, creating a ramp up into an entire attic part of the level :O

Mancubus II said:

Actually passing through portals is only part of linked portals (as I'm now calling them) sounds will also travel through portals as will projectiles, bullets, and monster sight. Basically, you'll have two subspaces of the map acting like they are on top of each other in such a seemless way that if it weren't doom you probably wouldn't think anything of it ;)

I have blood. I will make sure to play it thoroughly now when I got a Dos computer again. :) Or maybe I'll just use Dosbox,

Anyway. Only really good Build game.

Manc: your new avatar is scaring me. Can't resist the pinky starlikeshape of his glasses.

SoM.- Whatever you like to call them. You are and have always been my personal housegod. :p

I wonder if Mordeth feels a bit like that guy on the streetcorner who have been standing there for as long as anyone can remember, with a sign stating "Jesus is comming!" :)

J/k, hehe...Nice to see you're still around Gaston.

Mordeth wrote on the site:
    since 3D floors are just no match for the flexibility of interactive portals.

Examples would be nice: The only thing I can see is something like one of the maps in Chaos UT where there are teleporters which can be seen and shot through.

Andy Johnsen said:

Nice to see you're still around Gaston.

Indeed it is, and while we're at it.
    Nice to see you're still around Andy.

@Darkarchon: With 3d floors you can create 3d gemoetry. But with interactive portals you can create virtually anything you can imagine. The world is no longer limited to the 3 dimensions. You can run around a pole and when you've ran 360 degrees you are in a completely different place than you were when you started.

Just as an example.

I am very intrested in seeing where people will take this new freedom. I am sure Gaston here won't let us down when it comes to making the most out of them.

kristus said:

We'll just never get to see it; oh snap. Srsly, how long does it take to make 5 levels with a small texture set and a few sprites?

Afterglow said:

It takes so long because I'm making special places in Hell for all former "teammembers" :)

do they look like cincinnati, OH? 'cuz, you know, that's basically the "special place in hell" people talk about. :P

Mordeth said:

That's right, Mordeth just made a death threat. Will he make mor death threats in the future?

Mordeth said:

I'm still working on my map. Only at half the speed that you're working on yours.

Mordeth said:

You should release that.

Fredrik has actually been undead since he was bitten by mewse in 1999. Ever since he has been searching for the perfect balance of sweet and sour in his brain recipes.

I can't wait for thsi to come out... oh wait I already have been forever :~)

Seriously anything with portals gets my attention

Bloodskull said:

Someone care explaining exactly how a portal works and what they are. I really am not following this portal talk.

It takes years of training in a Bhuddist temple to learn, young one.

I have the February 97 release of this from the mordeth website -- only problem is, the only machine I have access to is a WinXP machine. The original doom executables won't run on it, so I'm running PrBoom. Anyone have any tips on getting Mordeth (and other doom2.exe mods) to run on an XP machine? Or should I just get DOS and dual-boot?

Use a Windows port that has full Dehacked compatability (like PrBoom, Eternity). Download the mfb97dsf.zip archive, and run the port with the PWADs and Dehacked patch. See specific port docs on how to do that (eg. "eternity.exe -file mywad.wad -deh mydeh.deh").

See Mordeth TC site for the same info and download links.

As for running other DOS games on your XP box: I've had lots of success with a utility called VDMSound. Search for it on Google, you'll find download links plus instructions. The only game I did not succeed in running was, unfortunately, Doom :)

Bloodskull said:

See the Eternity website. A portal is a seperate room that can be rendered on top of an existing room. Think room over room. Download Eternity and SoM's "lava factory" level, or view some screenshots from said level at the Wadsinprogress site.

Mordeth said:

I've just taken a quick look at mordeth.deh for any known issues with Prboom's dehacked support, and see that it contains a "Bits = 0" line, which the official Prboom doesn't handle correctly (often this is a showstopper too). This bug is fixed in Prboom-plus though.

To check there aren't any other problems, I've just verified that Opulent's set of Doom2.exe Max demos on Mordeth all play back on Prboom-plus - they do. (Note - to verify this, I just loaded them up and pressed "End" to check that they each played back all the way to the stats screen.)