SoM's Portal Pad

Quasar

Over at the brand-spankin'-new SoM's Pad you can catch an exclusive glimpse of "Random Portal Goodness." SoM has posted some stunning screen shots of the Eternity Engine's upcoming linked portal system.

Ban comic sans! The site could use a lot more contrast between the text and background too.

Anyway, the portals look hella cool. It would be nice to have an action shot, like of the chaingunner firing through that hole... Is that possible yet?

DJShrimpy said:

yaaaaaaay random portal goodness

caaaaaan you please stop doing that

Yes. Currently, tracers can propagate through, sounds are properly offset, the areas are overlayed on the automap with grayscaling of areas that you're not in, objects can move back and forth, although this is not quite flawless yet, and I'm pretty sure enemies are able to see through them now. It is very close to being complete :)

Quasar said:

Sweeeeeeet

JoelMurdoch said:

Great work Steve, you just set Mordeth back another 10 years :P

QFT.

Really, really awesome. Carmack just got hard. "Wow, portals in Doom..mmm.....Anna!"

Wow, looking good. Definitely better than previous test SOM maps I've seen. I'm a bit out of the loop, but is there any added functionality in these portals from a game play standpoint or is this a cleaner coded rendition of the current portal system?

david_a said:

Um, care to direct me to a better hand-written-looking font that EVERYBODY has? Also, there's plenty of contrast between the text and the background. I'm sorry it's not black on white :P

SoM said:

Why on earth do you want a hand-written font?

Cause he want it to look like a pad. DUH.

Great work SoM, now why haven't you sent me any betas of this? >:(

kristus said:

Great work SoM, now why haven't you sent me any betas of this? >:(

Because he likes me better :D

Lüt said:
    Because he likes me better :D

Apparantly, because despite clamoring for it he never sends me stuff ;)

Lüt: Teachers pet! D:

david_a said:

I disagree. See how much easier to read this is?

You seem to me totally missing the point of SoM's website design here. It's not to make an as high contrast between text and backgroun as possible. It's to make a design that works. And it's hardly hard to read with the current values. If you got problems, I suggest you highlight the text or have someone look at your eyes. (seriously)

I might also add, that personally I prefer SoM's way since it's not as hard on the eyes as a high pitched white background with black text is.

The font is ok but the background gives me a headache.

And no, not all eyes are created equal and some people are more sensitive to such things. Of course those who don't have problems are rather quick to dismiss this issue.

Mordeth said:

Apparantly, because despite clamoring for it he never sends me stuff ;)

"Clamoring"??? If by "clamoring" you mean "not making any contact for months at a time" then yes, you've been clamoring.

Also, david_a:
    I could brighten the background a tad I guess the grid paper lines might be distracting to the eyes. I'm just used to looking at grid paper I guess.

The background is fine IMO. Could stand to be a shade lighter perhaps. I don't have Comic Sans, and as my default font in Firefox is FreeSerif thats precisely what it displays as.

Ah, so apparently my vision is at fault for finding the design unnecessarily hard to read... I guess the monitors and viewing conditions have nothing to do with it?

SoM: Lightening up the background does wonders for the readability :)

TV gamma (2.2), TV colour temperature (6500) for the big win. Adjust brightness/contrast according to viewing conditions ;)

Besides, only kristus said your vision was at fault

To all you poor babies that can't read:

If you're using Firefox, View->Page Style-> No Style.

david_a said:

SoM: Lightening up the background does wonders for the readability :)

Maybe not your eyes directly, but the grid lines may have been throwing your eyes off of the words. I lessened the lines when I lightened the background which is probably also helping the readability.

Hobbs said:

Besides, only graf said your vision was at fault, and really, why bother with him?

Actually, I were the one who said that. :p
    But I realize that I were out of line. It's probably due to a bad monitor or setup of the monitor. Or possibly Cataract :p

For people who care about how the game plays, it already has.

Now it just needs to not resize everything on my desktop upon exit and all will be good.

Mordeth said:

Apparantly, because despite clamoring for it he never sends me stuff ;)

It's all about the irc. He's at his weakest-willed when he doesn't have time to come up with good excuses to keep it private. Swoop in when he least expects it and he'll collapse like the gusset plates failure.

SoM should release his betas with a big "Warning! Beta! Could eat your hamster/mom/wife/house/unvierse! Use with caution!"

But thats just my opinion.