Why do I have the sudden feeling that people are trying to avoid me? It seems like to me that hardly anyone has the guts to put up with my overdose of harshness anymore. You see folks, if you're never harsh on reviewing a map by a newbie mapper, chances are that the author would probably make more ugly maps that look like something that came from Slige, and you all know what the potentional of that (in terms of ugliness) is. Anyway, I have to rip and tear two skins, two SP levels and two DM levels. Only problem is that only one of the wads containing levels is gonna stay. Which one will it be? Find out now!
- Bomberman Skin by Mark "JACKASS" Dravich - Ripped directly from one of the NES Bomberman games, it's actually an amusing and good skin to use. However, it would of been better if he changed his clothes to green, so you could stand out a bit more. Another thing is that Mark could of resized it. Other than that, I love it. It gives out a nostaligic feel. Legacy or ZDoom required.
- Grind2X by Kara C. Rader - - All this hype, for what? I am disappointed in Kara, who said at the forums that Grind2 would be a map worth keeping an eye on. The amount of monsters is yet again an overload, and some of the monster placement doesn't make sense in the slightest. Who would put demons on tables, where they can't attack you? I definitely wouldn't. I'm not sure if any of you have noticed it, but she seems to have a fetish with toilets. They serve absolutely no purpose, except for a backpack which is in the womens toilet. The detailing is once again disgusting and some cheapass job. I couldn't detect an actual theme, as it was so varied. Also, she says in the text file that she couldn't get it working in doom2.exe. Chances are that she doesn't use an external node builder. If I recall correctly, DeePSea's node building is very dodgy, as it seems to make a lot of maps VPO in doom2.exe. Enhanced port required.
- KIMDM1.1 by Kim Vidal - - Jesus christ, this is one ugly piece of garbage. Here's a hint to newbie mappers: If you're gonna use custom textures, please try to not to overuse them, as most of them don't really give a good enviroment to play in. Based on some Quake 3 Arena map, the important element of fun seems to be completely missing in this level. Half of the level is set to 0 light level, meaning that you can't see most of the walls. It also features a lot of hard to notice teleporters, which are only helpful because you wouldn't be able to move that much if you were on the lower area. There are no signs of stairs anywhere, which are essential in DM maps. The music replacement is from one of my all-time favourite games, Turrican. The level puts the musical talents of Chris Hülsbeck to shame. The only good part is one of the custom textures, which uhh... contains a bit of... how would you say it... Adult-rated. Enhanced port required.
- KIMDM2 by Kim Vidal - - Like KIMDM1.1, the detailing is horrendous. Also like KIMDM1.1, the gameplay is pitiful. KIMDM2 uses the same music replacement that is in KIMDM1.1, and it really doesn't suit the level. And the most important thing about it is that it's symmetrical, like KIMDM1.1. In other words, don't bother touching it. Enhanced port required.
- Megaman Skin by Mark "JACKASS" Dravich - Ripped from the NES Megaman games. Like the Bomberman skin, it's a very nice skin to battle with. This time around, Mark actually made sure that you can change the colour of Megaman. Again though, the sprite is smaller than average. As I said above, it would of been better if he resized it. Legacy or ZDoom required.
- Zort 8 by Mike "Cyb" Watson - - Holy cow, Cyb is my new ACS idol. Honestly, his ACS scripting is amazing, and once again, he has given us a chance to play yet another level which features awesome gameplay and brilliant ACS scripting. I have no idea what the story is about, but I think it has something to do with crickets, stoner imps and wannabe gothic hellspawn. Still, detailing is simple, but lovely. The gameplay is top-notch, and his use of cameras and scripted marines are also something to really notice. However, the most noticable thing that is with this level is the unique colours of the hellspawn. Originally, I thought they were sprite replacements, but I couldn't resist to have a look at the ACS script, and I was stunned by how to actually achieve it. It's appears to be really complex, so he has proven that he did dedicate some time into making it better than all the other wads of this week. After playing this, I feel like that I need to go play the rest of the Zort series. ZDoom 1.23 b33 required.