Yo yo, dis iz da ghetto editz of /newstuff! Pimpmasta death dawg iz 'ere ta holla ya up wit sum hot licks 'n' sum really wack sheet, yo. Dis week we gots sum foteen zips ta fool round wit, so lets get down widdit!
2x Weapon Damage WAD - Julz_D
Enhanced Port - N/A - 1kb
I don't typically trust WAD files that are smaller than the text file itself, and this is no exception. Not only that, but the title name is misleading; Hitscan weapons require twice as much ammo to achieve the "double damage" effect, and the SG attack has been replaced by the SSG, effectively making it three times as powerful.
British Doom Localisation Path - Simon Howard
N/A - N/A - 6kb -
Caw blimey govnah, the capn is speakin some gibberish American language! We gots to fix him up hastely, gov.
Crappy British accents aside, this patch fixes the decade-and-a-couple-years-long plague with that damn American language that Doom prefers to use. Fortunately, there was one Brit crazy enough to resolve that damn problem for us Brit (derived) players who like to play Doom and not go insane over the fact that "armour" is spelt "armor" in-game, and that "arse" should not be bastardised to the likes of "ass" or even "butt". Hooray for fraggle!
Chemical Engineering Department - Lorenzo Davia
Enhanced Port - SP - 95kb -
This was uploaded last year but strangely not reviewed, but it was uploaded again this week with some minor updates! Normally I wouldn't do this, but since it was never originally reviewed, I might as well do it this time round:
Actually you know what, this map annoyed me. Long hallways with hundreds of doors that open and have small rooms on the other side, with nothing particularly interesting out of what I played. Detail was meh, gameplay was bleh, fun factor was eww.
Day of the Acolyte - Samuel Villarreal
SvStrife/GZDoom - SP - 489kb -
Once again, Kaiser proves why he is such a kickass mapper in general: The gameplay is fantastic and challenging, and the detail is never filled with unneccessary sectors and linedefs. Day of the Acolyte sets the player in a an area called Acolyte City, in which he needs to escape from the city plagued by evil for reasons unknown. The storyline is a slightly unprofessional compared to the original game, with an excessive (to me) use of exclamation marks, but it's still interesting regardless. It's definitely not a walk in the park however. This level makes brilliant use of certain Strife items. I won't say much more, just download it already, screw everything other map this week!
Fight by the Docks - fezzador
doom2.exe - SP - 21kb -
A small arena map with lots of monsters considering the size. The kind of thing you'd expect from 1994 or 1995, not 2006.
Haloguns2-GL: Pistol Teaser - Caligari_87
GZDoom - N/A - 2.9mb
* Copyright / Permissions * Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification. Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.Seriously, what is the point of claiming ownership to a ripped weapon from another game that you get to the point of not allowing others to use it? Not only that, but I find "Permissions have been obtained from original authors" extremely pathetic. I seriously doubt that Caligari_87 had actually received permission from Bungie/Microsoft to rip a weapon from Halo and place it in a Doom WAD. Still, that's basically the same as making a MP3 rip of say... Enter Sandman, claiming that I made it and nobody is allowed to make a cover version of it. HELLO, COPYRIGHT ACT! DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE PURPOSE OF THAT ACT IS, CALIGARI_87? Of course, it might be called something else over there in the You-knighted States of Uh-merry-car, but I'm sure the general point is being sent across.
Also, the really annoying thing is that I had to browse through several subdirs until I could find it. Just for that, this WAD gets further negative points.
Because of that first paragraph of my review, I refuse to actually look at this WAD or even support something like this, therefore I'm not linking it. Seriously, I hope Ty deletes this from /idgames (note: it's called hg2-pist.zip).
The Infected Tower Level 2 - Team IDGP
ZDoom - SP - 104kb -
Ugh. Horribly dull detail and texturing, single-use teleport lines, and the filename is "The Infected Tower lvl2 .wad". Can it really get any worse?
Possessed Marine - Chain Mail
N/A - N/A - 46kb -
A nicely created sprite that uses the Marine, Sargeant and Former Human as a base. Has a decent amount of health too, and I really like the broken helmet effect that Chain Mail created. Thumbs up.
PSX Doom Tribute. - john cartwright
Boom - SP - 748kb
Four maps that make use of the PSX Doom resources. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to obtain such resources, so I can't really give a fair review on this WAD. The maps did appear to be interesting from what I gathered, but I don't think you want to see screenshots of ZDoom displaying almost every wall with that UNKNOWN TEXTURE texture.
The shadow War2 - Bryan Garza
Skulltag - DM - 10kb -
If this is a "Asome what of an inprovement" over his previous map, then I don't want to know what that map was. Honestly, you're not ready to upload to /idgames. Come back when you spend more than three hours working on a map.
WinDOOM Build 001 - Microsoft
Doom95 - N/A - 316kb -
Wow, this is a really interesting beta to fiddle around with. From my initial observations, I've noticed the following:
* The title graphic only displays for a second, then immediately warps to E1M1
* The skill level is set to Hurt Me Plenty
* There is no status bar
* There is no intermission, but you do see a small glitch at the start of E1M2 (possibly over levels too)
* Messages are not displayed
* Unlike Doom95, this build can actually render 640x400 instead of stretching to 640x400
* Cheats do not appear to be implemented
* No save game abilities
* You cannot redefine the keys
Judging from the date of this build, I'm presuming that it's either based on Doom v1.2 or a v1.3/1.4 beta. What's interesting to note is that there's no sound pitch that is featured in v1.2, so it seems less likely to be based on v1.2. I've only played up to E1M2 though, so I'm not sure if it's possible to reach E1M9, or what happens after E1M8.
Yet another interesting thing is that WINDOOM-.exe appears to be a debug build. However, not much can be figured out from it other than the FPS counter is not included.
WinDOOM April 13 Build - Microsoft
Doom95 - N/A - 369kb
This April 13th, 1995 build of WinDOOM appears to be based on Doom II v1.8. I can't figure out anything different from this and the final Doom95, other than the sound being really buggy and not buffering properly. However, there appears to be an .exe that might have been a proposed TCP/IP-based lobby service for Doom95, but it does not actually start windoom.exe, as the "Run" command has been greyed out.