Seven new WADs this time, all bundled up in our weekly presentation of the new things found in Newstuff.
- Lhet by Luke Hutchings - Here's something interesting. A three-level WAD for Heretic. Mostly built with single-player gaming in mind, this one is pretty impressive. It's unfortunate that it's as difficult as it is, or else it would be a very enjoyable three maps. Large monsters and gross lack of ammunition aside, this one has some tricky puzzles and beautiful outdoor areas. Very much in the spirit of Heretic. Not any overpowering detail. About as much detail as Heretic itself provides, it's just right.
- A Really Big Hole Full Of Monsters by Busted Corpse - Just one single-player map for Doom 2 this time. Nothing too special. Get the key, go to the next room, get the key, go to the next room, and so on, if you're able to survive the onslaught of monsters. Lots of very ordinary shapes in this map. Misaligned textures, and no theme at all whatsoever. Enhanced DOOM port required.
- A Really Big Hole by Busted Corpse - This is the deathmatch version of "A Really Big Hole Full Of Monsters." Monsters have been removed, as well as key-activated doors. Still not very good for deathmatch.
- Castle Of Eternal Carrot In The Sky by Fredrik Johansson - An extremely detailed castle in the sky map for Doom 2. This map is one huge castle, with the entire map often visible all at once. As a result, it will bring the frame rate of most computers down to an unreasonably low level. If this map is actually playable, it has some incredible difficulty to it. Lots of wide-open areas with hordes of monsters, and not enough ammo to deal with it unless you know exactly what to do. It has a pleasant MIDI music replacement, though. Enhanced DOOM port required.
- CH Retro by Christian Hansen - One single-player map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E1M1. Fans of Episode 1 will love this one, done in a very elaborate E1 theme. Hallways and rooms, connected in a very intelligent way. You will find yourself doing a lot of moving slowly, peeking around corners. The health and ammo balance is superb, making for a very exciting map.
- The Ultimate Crosshair by Colin Mitchell - This is a very simple WAD, one that has a custom crosshair graphic. It has some colored lines and dots which mark the various "maximum inaccuracy" areas for certain weapons. Requires Doom Legacy.
- Ugh DM 1 by Fredrik Johansson - A single deathmatch map for Doom 2. It employs a very simple pattern that is found in many deathmatch maps. A square room in the middle with passageways on all four sides leading to a hallway which surrounds the rest of the map. It has some texture replacements, some very nice usage of slopes, and a plasma gun in the middle that is only accessible part of the time. It has a decent metal MIDI music replacement as well. Requires ZDoom.