There are five new WAD files this week, investigated as always in our newest edition of the new things found in Newstuff.
- Terrere 02 by Wim Vanrie - A very spooky map for Doom 2. Small and compact, yet complex. This is a very dark dungeon-style map, with lots of great challenges, especially on skill 4. It may seem unplayably difficult, but it's manageable if you use the right strategies. Lots of very nice detail, a great atmosphere. Here's a hint; once you release the Pain Elementals, go directly to the room with the yellow key, but don't get too close to one of the torches. There is also a very nice brand new music replacement.
- Dead Simple: Revisited by Wim Vanrie - One map for Doom 2, running on Map07. As you could guess, it has a similar design to Map07 of Doom 2. Lots of brown and metal. This map is much more cramped, however. The Mancubi smother you almost immediately, and the Arachnotrons will have you surrounded. Surviving would be quite a challenge in this map. Still, it looks rather pleasant. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.
- Laitos by Espi - A very well done Episode 1 style map for Ultimate DOOM, running on E1M1. This map seems to have a strange resemblance to pretty much every map in E1 of DOOM. A white concrete map, with some green and yellow thrown in. A pleasant variety of areas. Hallways, rooms, containment areas, and some E1M3-style skylights. It's also a great challenge of a map. Not too difficult, but right about on par with Episode 1. Music from E1M5 is used.
- Skroom by Josef Griffiths - Six deathmatch maps for Doom 2. Not much detail in these maps. Mostly basic shapes with one basic area for each map. A variety of indoor and outdoor areas. Lots of ammunition is provided throughout most of the maps. Some music from Ultimate DOOM is used.
- 3-Tech by Virgil - One single-player map for Doom 2, running on Map16. This map has a strange variety of textures. Outdoor, tech base, metal, and a lot of darkness is the basic theme. The map is quite a challenge, with a swarm of monsters often keeping you on your toes. Just about the right amount of ammo is provided, so the map can be a fun challenge, if you use the save feature often. Lots of monsters that pop up on you, and a few bosses. Some interesting designs, both in the map design and decor aspect. Enhanced DOOM port required.