Back and better than ever is our weekly chronicle covering the latest happenings uploaded to the new home of Newstuff.
- Galley by Richard Clark - - Our first map in weeks! One deathmatch map for Doom 2. This one is relatively small, taking place on a wooden pirate ship, out in the middle of some body of water. It's reasonably well done, with some real ship-like textures. Sails, flags, and a star-lit sky. There is no Plasma Gun or BFG, so some may be grateful for that. Some graphics from Hexen and Unreal are used. Requires DoomBot.
- Out Of Phase by Karthik Abhirama Krishna - - This would be our first single-player map released in quite a while. One map for Doom2, a relative small and easy map. This level has somewhat of a space-base-in-space theme, with sky textures in the floor and cramped corridors. Almost every line in the map is 90°, so it is quite square. There's not all that much detail, and more than enough ammo and health to kill everything with relative ease. However, how fun a map is depends on how hungry you are. There's also a nice MIDI music replacement.
- Lava Plant 3D by Alastair Montgomery - - One deathmatch map for Doom 2. This one is a bit more complex. An indoor factory-like map, with a couple of tunnels, a few lifts, and some other neat features. Some underwater areas, and some minor room-over-room effects. Also, a few sound and graphics replacements. Requires Doom Legacy.
- Enzemica by Josef Griffiths - - Another single deathmatch map for Doom 2, this one running on Map06. It's basically separated into four sections, accessible one after the other through teleporters, each loaded with a different weapon and ammo type. Each room has a different texture theme, and an open ceiling. Relatively simple deathmatch. That's about all there is to say.
- Scragadelica by Josef Griffiths - - This is a deathmatch-oriented map for Doom 2, running on Map07. Monsters are added for single-player and cooperative play, but the exit is accessible within five seconds so there's no point in that. This map is definitely inspired by Doom2 Map07, with lots of Map07'ish textures, Arachnotrons and Mancubi, as well as Lost Souls and Chaingunners. This seems like actually one of the better deathmatch maps released lately, which isn't saying much.
- Billy Doom by Mark Dravich - - No new levels, just a large collection of sounds and graphics, mostly of the author finding the opportunity to make fun of his ex-friend. New sprites made in mspaint.exe, and some cheap sound replacements. Be warned, the sounds in this WAD contain coarse language.