Cock your shotgun, five fresh new maps managed to sneak their way into /newstuff this week.
- LOLLY by Andie Mckie - - Kicking off this /newstuff with the newest deathmatch map from Mystic over at Doom Heaven. Running on Doom 2 Map01, LOLLY makes use of Legacy's transparent 3D floors to provide a deathmatch arena, on top of a deathmatch arena. Its unique design could satisfy oldschool DMers and and your average ZDaemon player alike. There are some spiffy new textures and sprites tossed in to make things interesting as well. On the downside, the slew of powerups on the edge of the arena can ruin the map's balance, and the sound replacement is more of a nuisance than anything else. Requires Doom Legacy.
- IC DooM Series : 2001 Reprisal by Ian Cunnings - - An impressive single-player map running on Doom 2 Map01, Reprisal strikes an excellent balance between looks and playability. The level takes place in an Episode-1 style base centered around a scenic outdoor courtyard and never leaves you without something to battle. The ammo balance is near perfect - you'll always have those extra shells right when you need them. The challenge of the map might be a bit overwhelming for newer doomers however, especially on higher difficulty settings. Recommended!
- Sniper - A view from both sides by Richard J. Sham - - One mediocre Doom 2 map with discernable real theme or setting, running on Map01. The map places you in the middle of an intersection, where you are given a choice of four doors, three keyed. Beyond each door is the entrance to a different section of the map, including a series of small rectangular arenas filled to the brim with demons, and a pesky and repetitive tunnel maze. Eyecandy is kept to a minimum, although a neat doom2.exe trick is used once or twice to give the player a scare. There is a music replacement borrowed from Duke3D and a new sound set with a supremely annoying player damage noise. Might help pass a rainy day or a boring class period in your school's computer lab.
- Energy Control by Boris "Tarin" Iwanski - - Well-known editing guru Tarin releases this single base-themed deathmatch map for Doom 2. The layout is simple and designed for fast-paced, balanced DM; There are at least two entrances to every room and powerups like the megasphere are nowhere to be found. The custom sounds and graphics come from other FPS games like Blood 2 and Duke3D, and the music replacement is that of Doom E1M1. Interestingly, the weapon placement is shifted around on higher skill levels for use with Immoral Conduct. Port features are used creatively to create a hazard for anyone aiming for a bigger gun. Requires ZDoom.
- Shape of Things to come by Alastair Montgomery - - And we're finishing up the week with a single deathmatch wad from Big Al at Doom Heaven, running on Doom2 Map01. The layout is very circular; hallways around hallways around room, and the hallways are very cramped (the fastest trigger finger will dominate!). SOTTC provides fast, intense 1on1 gameplay although you might find yourself annoyed in large FFA games. The constantly oscillating lights and pool of water provide an interesting twist to the gameplay that's missing in most popular DM maps. Requires Doom Legacy.