Because we're all missing newstuff, I've decided to have a go at creating an unofficial newstuff thread, similar to what Nightmare did a while ago. I'm even presenting it ahead of schedule! (well, it's close to midnight over here in the UK, but it's still Saturday night in the US). I've done my best to round up all the unreviewed wads from the past 2 or 3 weeks as well as the wads from this week, and I am presenting them all here, albeit without screenshots.
If you have any good or bad comments about my reviews, feel free to post them, as I'm in unknown territory here and I'm not sure what sort of reaction the reviews will get. But, I have made an effort with these, and I hope they're ok. (and I hope that I've not violated any forum rules by doing this)
So, without further ado, let's jump into the 7 wads and 14 maps:
- Capslocked by Epyo - Released during a newstuff absence, this is a ZDoom mini-episode replacing maps 01-06 of DooM 2. Capslocked contains a host of quirky ZDoom tricks, including "gun turrets", "merry-go-rounds" and "floating platforms". The gameplay is actually quite challenging, with good ammo/health placement along with some big monsters, although the detail could have been improved. If you like ZDoom features and challenges, one of which is pretty special (ie. map 05), then this wad is worth playing. The best of Epyo's wads so far, requires ZDoom.
- Mossvale Dungeons by Alex Parsons - Another wad that seemed to miss the newstuff chronicles, this wad is set in an underground complex consisting mostly of green stone, with one sp_rock cave area. The detail is good, and the gameplay is of the usual challenging standard, with quite a few traps in close-quarters and some tricky battles with basic weapons. If you like Alex's wads, then this one won't disappoint. Source port recommended.
- The Catacombs by Alex Parsons - This wad starts out similar to the previous one, but soon turns into a DooM 2 map 22-inspired level, with good detail and very finely balanced health and ammo, with some tricky battles in the centre of the map. The final section is a familiar sp_rock outdoor area infested with imps, shotgunners and chaingunners. It's up to the usual AP standard, and worth playing. Source port recommended.
- Alien 3 by Ismaele - After two wads that were slated, Ismaele definitely comes up with the goods this time. 4 maps, (replacing 14-15, 31-32), a Beretta pistol, a cool flamethrower, a tougher SS soldier, a much deadlier imp, new graphics, sprites and Boom features, including fake underwater sections! 3 of the maps are Outpost of Hell-style tech maps and one is a brown cave. The detail is good throughout, and the gameplay is fairly challenging, but can be quite linear, as a lot of the time the rooms are similar-looking and flat. Also, the Icon of Sin area is a little suspect. But this wad is well worth playing, especially if you like tech maps. Requires ZDoom.
- Die1 by Cadman - This wad comprises mostly of DooM 1 graphics and creatures, but with a few DooM 2 creatures to keep things lively. Replacing map 04, this level has a Deimos feel to it, mainly due to the fact that it contains modern, industrial and gothic styles with a DooM 1 orientation. Ammo and health is balanced quite well, and the gameplay is fairly challenging, as you'll get caught out by shotgunners quite a bit. The detail isn't as intricate as today's wads, but that's because this wad is doom2.exe compatibl
- Sentinel by Sphagne - A small-ish deathmatch map set on an island at night. The night sky greatly enhances the atmosphere, and you could easily get mistaken by thinking it's a single player map, as there's lots of monsters and even an exit! There are a number of small buildings, each with a different style, weapons are aplenty, and it's not meant to be played with jumping. Overall, a nice wad, even on single player!
- Lock and Load v3.0 by pilottobombadier - A weapons-only mod that gives out 15 weapons, see text for details. Only works with Edge 1.24, so unfortunately I wasn't able to run it, as the only version I can find is 1.27 (and it crashes with that). So I'll have to let you give your own opinions on it. I know graphics-only wads are generally not dealt with here, but I thought I'd give it a mention, as it's a big project.