Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Vinesauce Mapping Contest


    Ralphis

    Vargskelethor, of the video game streaming site Vinesauce, is hosting a Doom level editing contest. Contest entries are eligible to be submitted from August 29 through September 9th. The contest will feature three prizes that will be awarded based on "effort". The prizes are:

    • 1ST: 200$ Steam game(s) of your choice + Personally signed DOOM I disc with case (sent to you!)
    • 2ND: 100$ Steam game(s) of your choice
    • 3RD: 50$ Steam game(s) of your choice
    For a full list of rules and information, visit the announcement.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    So what are the odds that Mek and Xaser will crash this party and leave all the enthusiastic first timers depressed and regretting they even tried?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    This is a cool contest. Although, I'm quite surprised that they are making a cash contest for a game that dates back to the 90's. Regardless the first place prize of 200 bucks on Steam is quite awesome.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    dew said:

    So what are the odds that Mek and Xaser will crash this party and leave all the enthusiastic first timers depressed and regretting they even tried?


    Not only that, but allowing both zdoomisms and classic styled maps in the same contest makes little sense. Anything with some scripting and decorate trickery will be immediately considered over vanilla. The nebulous criteria of 'effort' is a basic component to any map, terrible or good. Then the prizes, a signed Doom CD by who? This vine-person I've never heard of until now? It would take me a decade to spend that kind of money on Steam...I'd rather use it for car insurance. Maybe it would have been nice to run this by the actual community first, come up with some real criteria and judges who have a little more experience to offer. Bleh.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Use3D said:

    Not only that, but allowing both zdoomisms and classic styled maps in the same contest makes little sense. Anything with some scripting and decorate trickery will be immediately considered over vanilla. The nebulous criteria of 'effort' is a basic component to any map, terrible or good. Then the prizes, a signed Doom CD by who? This vine-person I've never heard of until now? It would take me a decade to spend that kind of money on Steam...I'd rather use it for car insurance. Maybe it would have been nice to run this by the actual community first, come up with some real criteria and judges who have a little more experience to offer. Bleh.


    Oh no, a guy is not running his contest to your standards! Call the Doom Police!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Use3D said:

    Not only that, but allowing both zdoomisms and classic styled maps in the same contest makes little sense. Anything with some scripting and decorate trickery will be immediately considered over vanilla. The nebulous criteria of 'effort' is a basic component to any map, terrible or good. Then the prizes, a signed Doom CD by who? This vine-person I've never heard of until now? It would take me a decade to spend that kind of money on Steam...I'd rather use it for car insurance. Maybe it would have been nice to run this by the actual community first, come up with some real criteria and judges who have a little more experience to offer. Bleh.


    christ, no need to be a dick about it :/
    if you don't like it, don't enter it. simple as that.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    Rather than a proper contest it seems more like he wants to play some Doom wads and he feels to throw away some money. Which is fine, it just leaves me a bit puzzled that so far it seems that you can send stuff that was already shared somewhere, or works that had lots of time to be polished. Also inb4 lots of maps filled with memes will be submitted :P

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    gaspe said:

    Rather than a proper contest it seems more like he wants to play some Doom wads and he feels to throw away some money. Which is fine, it just leaves me a bit puzzled that so far it seems that you can send stuff that was already shared somewhere, or works that had lots of time to be polished. Also inb4 lots of maps filled with memes will be submitted :P


    by memes, he means in-jokes within the vinesauce community

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Use3D said:

    Not only that, but allowing both zdoomisms and classic styled maps in the same contest makes little sense. Anything with some scripting and decorate trickery will be immediately considered over vanilla. The nebulous criteria of 'effort' is a basic component to any map, terrible or good. Then the prizes, a signed Doom CD by who? This vine-person I've never heard of until now? It would take me a decade to spend that kind of money on Steam...I'd rather use it for car insurance. Maybe it would have been nice to run this by the actual community first, come up with some real criteria and judges who have a little more experience to offer. Bleh.

    I'm actually a bit pleased someone from outside the community is hosting this challenge - Maybe this means a wad won't have to be some Grand Wazoo to make the cut as it's just based on one Doomer's entirely subjective opinion rather than "expressing deep levels of technical and aesthetic know-how" or whatever else. Kind of like that contest Buckshot held for the signed D!Zone box actually - He wasn't looking for cacoward material but more something that simply pleased him personally, and I love that kind of stuff, it means literally anyone with mapping knowledge has a fair shot rather than just "hey guys let's reward the dudes we already know are 9999x better than us at mapping". Just my 2c as a mapper stuck in 2002

    (Buckshot's challenge was way better though, I'd rather have a Romero-signed D!Zone than all 3 top prizes put together if I'm being honest)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    While im too lazy and busy to watch a full vinesauce stream, some of joel's compilation videos are hilarious (windows destructions in particular). Glad to see this type of contest outside of the community. Im tempted to give it a try

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Solarn said:

    Oh no, a guy is not running his contest to your standards! Call the Doom Police!

    To be honest, he has a point. I was actually tempted to go all-out and make use of the fact that seemingly not only ACS but also Decorate and custom resources to make something that would entirely blow everything else out of the water with the whole "THIS IS DOOM!?" reaction as a goal.

    But then I realized it would be entirely unfair considering most of the competition is likely just going to be people who discovered Doom mapping off of Joel or something along those lines, which means it's unlikely that there'd really be competition. Especially not the ilk that could fight against exploiting the fact that the contest runner isn't really part of the Doom community and really knows what ZDoom is capable of.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Arctangent said:

    To be honest, he has a point. I was actually tempted to go all-out and make use of the fact that seemingly not only ACS but also Decorate and custom resources to make something that would entirely blow everything else out of the water with the whole "THIS IS DOOM!?" reaction as a goal.

    Contest or not, anyone capable of garnering that reaction with a mod/wad made in ~2 weeks should get on it ASAP. Not only would that just be fun to play, but it would be totally deserving of winning the award if indeed it was that impressive. The contest description even urges "both newbies and veterans in the DOOM community" to have at it.

    EDIT: You know, I wasn't going to at first, but this thread has inspired me to try and make something 100% vanilla compatible to submit to this contest, just to see if it places above a bunch of ZDoom/ACS filled submissions. I'm working on several other WADs at the moment and am balancing that with a full time job, but scew it, I have to attempt to use my 10+ years out of date mapping skills to prove that vanilla can still impress newbies and oldies alike! (heh)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    I will participate. It was some time I wanted to make a remake of an heretic level I did time ago for a project that never saw the daylight. I will have to rebuild everything in Zdoom, but at least I have clear ideas what to do.

    BTW, if the winner uses customer textures shall he/she share the award with the author of the textures?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Doomkid said:

    Contest or not, anyone capable of garnering that reaction with a mod/wad made in ~2 weeks should get on it ASAP. Not only would that just be fun to play, but it would be totally deserving of winning the award if indeed it was that impressive. The contest description even urges "both newbies and veterans in the DOOM community" to have at it.


    besides, everyone's reaction to a doom level looking like something from half-life or quake 2 would be pretty hilarious.
    not only that, but it could also help our community grow :)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    roadworx said:

    not only that, but it could also help our community grow :)

    ...and steal of Zerthex's glory? Count me out

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    Went as crazy as I know how to on the map I submitted :) Winning one of the prizes would be nice but honestly I kind of hope others submit stuff even better and we get a good chunk of fun maps to play!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    Great attitude Doomkid. I agree with your sentiments. I hope other people's maps are quite innovative and fun!

    This contest has made me push out something that is in my honest opinion quite 'trippy' and essentially unique!

    I look forward to seeing everyone's submissions :)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    Well, I declined my map, as I didn't have the patience to do what I wanted to do. Good luck to the rest of you guys.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Angry Saint said:

    I will participate. It was some time I wanted to make a remake of an heretic level I did time ago for a project that never saw the daylight. I will have to rebuild everything in Zdoom, but at least I have clear ideas what to do.


    Is that consistent with the rules though? The rules says the maps has to be made for the contest and can't be an old map. Though I guess if the map was originally started for another project but never actually released/finished then it is technically ok?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    I'm 99% sure the idea was that we started with something new from scratch. I hope people aren't submitting already started (or nearly finished) maps that just need tweaking..

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    Angry Saint says he's going to remake the map and rebuild everything, which should make it compliant with the rules. Also the fact that the map was for a never-released project helps, as the rules might have meant "can't be an old map" as "can't be a previously released map", and even if they weren't, they have no means of verifying an unreleased map's origin anyway, so it doesn't matter.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment

    I personally think it matters in principle, but as you said there's no real means of verification anyway so it's a moot point.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

×