Robin McLeod sent word that he has released a new version of his Win32 Heretic port wHeretic. Among the new features are:
- Overhauled the sound engine.
- Fixed a bug in the network code which prevented it from working with more than 3 players.
- Tweaked the video handling for improved speed.
- Converted the last of the column drawing funcs to ASM.
- Added the option to use MMX in the drawing funcs.
- Tweaked the keyboard code to work properly on Win9X.
- Disable artifact skipping when "always run" is enabled.
Problem with the new sound engine is that 486 users won't get a decent framerate. He might look for an alternative if enough people are interested in running wHeretic on those systems. There's also a diagram showing a fill rate comparison at different resolutions and word on MMX options.
As usual, you can download this new version from our source port section.