After decades of excruciating anticipation, ZDaemon 1.09 is now available as a public beta. Besides a plethora of bugfixes and netcode improvements, the port now sports an enticing new set of features that both oldschool and newschool players should enjoy:
- New "Picture-In-Picture" feature when spectating duels.
- Playback controls while watching demos (like rewind and fast forward).
- New "double domination" mode.
- Team radar that shows the position of teammates.
- Built-in railgun, zooming, and an instagib mode.
- Customizable font system, offering improved readability of in-game messages.
- Improved unlagged.
- Much smoother movement for higher ping players.
- Clients can customize the number of incoming packets.
- Tons of coop fixes that will make the mode much more enjoyable!
- Greatly improved Heretic support.
- Increased playerlimit from 16 to 50.
- Working polyobjects.
- Much improved wine support (linux) for the launcher and ZRC.
- Several new DMFLAGS for improved fidelity to doom2.exe.
- Improved team balancing (yay).
- A new update mechanism in the launcher.
The development team suspects that several more beta releases will still be needed before the permanent transition from 1.08 to 1.09 can occur, but at least players can finally take 1.09 for a test drive. You can download and discuss it here, report bugs here, or take a peek at the changelog if you're curious about everything that's been implemented.