ZDoom For Linux

Cyb

Randy has updated the ZDoom page with news of his continued effort to port ZDoom to Linux. Included are some framerate comparisons of ZDoom with XFree86 (Linux) and ZDoom with DirectX (Windows) as well as a screenshot of ZDoom running under Linux, just so you know he's not faking it. It's also worth noting that ZDoom 2.0.63 was recently announced, with the new addition of allowing editors to define new monsters from scratch thanks to resident DW forum monkey Graf Zahl.

Sweet, I'll have to check this out the next time I get near a computer with Linux installed.

Note to zarcyb: 16bpp sucks.

Randy, in case you are reading this, the reason for the slowdown is simple: in XFree, you can't get a hardware surface unless you are root. So in every frame SDL has to do 8bit -> screen depth conversion and push the whole picture from main memory to video card.

If you want more information, just let me know.

Fredrik said:

Note to zarcyb: 16bpp sucks.

24bpp or 32bpp then. Just something better than 8bpp.

You kids are just getting spoiled. 8bpp is just fine for doom. I've never had no problems with it no how.

Jello said:

zdooms coloured lighting would benefit from higher precision, sometimes it looks like ass

We've been looking at the same palette of 256 colors for over 10 years now. We have +4 Ghz computers and 32 bit color now so why leave that unused?

Well, I'll say this - there are a lot of great .wads that I simply don't play because they require Zdoom and will not run under ZdoomGL - and I cannot stomach 8BPP anymore. It's just...it's nauseating.

auxois said:

That's your loss. I wouldn't miss something like Daedalus, even if it doesn't work with ZDoomGL yet.

Szymanski said:

Translucent textures too.

exl said:

Well at least in ZDoom incremental light increases of <16 are actually noticeable :)

!! Do you know how many possibilities this opens up? !!

None.. you could have done it ever since the doom source was released. I suppose its easier, now.

Jon said:

you could have done it ever since the doom source was released.

Of course. Being able to add new Things without shipping out a new executable every time really opens up new doors.

Jon said:

So why are there only a handful of mods that have done this?

Answer: For the normal mapper it's not an option. Not only are most of them totally inexperienced in programming, the first have to get the source port they prefer to compile (and this is not an easy task for somebody who doesn't use a compiler frequently.) but the biggest problem is that you are cutting yourself off from potential advancements. Just look at 'Caverns of Darkness' for a good example. Here we have a great mod with fantastic levels which is burdened with an obsolete DOS Exe that won't run on many modern computers. No mapper wants to put himself in this situation.

Should it be so much work to make a dehacked like editor for Zdoom.exe

I mean, with that, practically everyone could add extra things, use Heretic/Hexen codepointers and creatures, make Heretic/Hexen mods, and probably more.

Edit: Nice, I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore :-) Thanks

Vegeta said:

Edit: Nice, I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore :-) Thanks

Your wish is my command.

Vegeta said:

Should it be so much work to make a dehacked like editor for Zdoom.exe

Edit: Nice, I don't "POST WAREZ, POST WAREZ!" anymore :-) Thanks

It's much easier to edit the text files than to do it with a tool like Dehacked. If you know how Dehacked works and have read the documentation you should be able to create new monsters in no time. And if you don't know Dehacked you don't even have to bother with lots of the internals. Dehacked is much more complicated and requires A LOT more manual work than the new text format (because that was one of the major design goals behind it.) All the nasty stuff (like frame linking) is done automatically by the parser. The total separation of things and frames in Dehacked has always been one of its major annoyances to me because it makes making monsters rather error-prone.

Graf Zahl said:

Well the source code is there... it seems someone just needs to port the changes to a more modern project and you're set. (/me looks into it)

Jon said:

I think the Eternity engine has been suggested.

Little Faith said:

I think the Eternity engine has been suggested.

Bogus :-/
    AFAIK its Ye Olde Dos too -.-
    So, i would need DosBox or something similiar for my NT and then i would need more than my K7-2000+ for playing it.
    Or i would play without sound and thats not an option.

(Lemme think.... using a x86-DOS emulator on a x86-Windoze to play doom.......... *shouders* ... or .. even .. quake ..... *headache* ........ too slow X-| )

So Long, The Werelion!

uh, eternity is for win32

what sort of crazy person maintains a dos port in this day and age

Cyb said:

uh, eternity is for win32

what sort of crazy person maintains a dos port in this day and age

I think there's still a DOS version of Legacy (but I'm not 100% sure.)