ZDoom GL 70%

Cyb

Rjoice! For ZDoomGL has a new version 0.7 out! So, what's changed in this version? Well, I'll tell you!

• full mouselook is in with per subsector frustum culling and a JDoom style clipper (actually runs slightly faster than it used to without mouselook).
    • new invulnerability effect taken from JDoom because it looked cooler than the green lighting thing ZDoomGL used to do.
    • bug where floor/ceiling for some polyobjects would be drawn is fixed.
    • sprite scaling is fixed.
    • fixed bug where some particles would get overwritten by walls (in some cases).
    • rendering no longer goes through the software engine at all anymore, but this means that sprites aren't sorted again. That's next on my to-do list.
    • has a nice surprise when booting the old computer. Apparently it deleted the file "d:/winnt/system32/config/system" on it's own and it doesn't like starting without it. Ah well, it was due for a reinstall anyway ;)

So, wtf are you waiting for? Go grab it now!

Read the thread in the ZDoomGL forum for a list of the features that are yet to be supported, and to see a list of the current issues as found by testers.

Hammer this 0.7 release as much as you like. Then report the bugs so they can get resolved.

Well, I've been playing it here a little and it's nice, even at 70% done. It seems to run fast enough, though I can't get it to run fullscreen in GL mode, and moving to software crashes the game. Meh, who cares, it's not finished, but it's very close. Kudos to timmie! :)

DooMBoy said:

Works fine for me (tm)

DooMBoy said:

I can't get it to run fullscreen in GL mode

Try going to the video mode set up screen, toggling to windowed and then back to full screen mode to get proper full screen. Works for me at any rate.

Enjay said:

Nevermind, set it to 800x600 and set it as default, that got it working in fullscreen.
    Oh, and I LOVE that JDoom invuln effect! :) Though how come the weapons sprites aren't affected? Is it because it's a beta or what?

Cyb said:

Heh, I don't think this is actually a feature :P

Probably a better description of this release would be:

- all features of ZDoom 2.0 up to pre13, not including mirrors and skyboxes (next on "the list").
    - JDoom style hires textures.
    - software-style depth fogging.
    - in game switchable renderer.
    - anisotropic texturing.

(from the readme.txt file)

WTF/TWF/WFT does fustrum culling mean and what exactly does it do?
    /me is bumfuzzled by these technical terms

Frustrum culling is part of the process where the engine determines which polygons are in the field of view and therefore should be rendered.

Anisotropic texturing is a texture filtering method that gives sharper images than bi- or tri-linear filtering do. Try a google search.

Problem: I downloaded this so I could play the Zan Zan conversion, but it only supports voodoo cards. WTF? Who the hell still uses voodoo cards? What about all the people out there with GeForces like me?

Cheap.

UAC PR Dept said:

Who the hell still uses voodoo cards?

Me. And quite a lot of people by the sounds of it. Not everyone has the money to upgrade to a fancy new GeForce.

UAC PR Dept said:

Cheap.

Uhhh, it works LESS well with Voodoo cards actually. I have a GeForce and it works fine for me. Anyway, 0.7 doesn't have models support yet, so ZanZan will not work. Get 0.66.2.

Umm, I only have a Geforce 2. Isn't bout as powerful as any Voodoo? (no, I'm not with the times, and I really don't care)

"try version 0.66"

As a matter of fact, the last version always gives me the error "CONCHARS not found" or something, whatever that is supposed to mean, so no dice... :[

"some of us don't have the money to update to a big fancy geforce"

Geforces come with about any computer you buy nowadays, standard sidearm. They are *very* cheap, too, especially on the internet. However, I've never looked into Voodoos, and I won't, so I don't know what the price range is with those, but I never hear anything about them, they seem a little old-school and dead compared to the price-efficient GeForce. Funny cause' I thought GeForces were common sidearms. I'm not talking about GeForce 3s and 4s by the way, ha! Everything is way too expensive when it first comes out. Don't make generalizations buddy, GeForces are not indulgences in any way. :}

"hey your screen name is my last screen name! AGH it's wavelength! die die! i am a child!"

Ö Ö Ö Ö Ö Ö Ö Ö

UAC PR Dept said:

You probably need a newer zdoom.wad or zdoomgl.wad

UAC PR Dept said:

"some of us don't have the money to update to a big fancy geforce"

They probably look old school and dead, and you don't see them sold around anymore because 3dfx does not exist anymore, in fact they shut down pretty long ago.