Single Status Update
I've been trying to launch a game on my shoddy old laptop and a receiving this error message:
Game is Populous: The Beginning.
I looked online, saw that it's due to a missing DPLAYX.DLL so I grabbed a copy and while it seems to be relevant I'm now confronted with this error message:
Looking online hasn't really helped me here. Any time I come across a thread where the OP says 'fixed it!' they never explain how they fixed it.
Can any of Doomworld's techies please help out on this one? :)
- Show previous comments 3 more
If your system was a fresh install of Windows 8 or 10, not an upgrade from 7, you might simply not have DirectPlay installed.
1) Go into Safe Mode (check out guides on how to)
2) Press [Windows + X] or open the Control Panel and look for "Programs and Features"
3) Click on "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left menu
4) Look for "Legacy Components" and tick "Direct Play"
5) Wait for it to install and confirm it's done
6) Reboot normally
7) Now your game should launch properly
Thanks for the reply Albertoni. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I appreciate everyone's assistance. :)