Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About geo

  • Rank
    didn't know being a forum staple was a bad thing

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Single Status Update

See all updates by geo

  1. The last time I helped someone move was last year around this time. It was my aunt's elderly friend, a 74 year old ex coworker. My aunt is a farmer with a giant trailer that makes things easy to move so she offered to save the woman money.


    However, my aunt needed help. Her husband just had back surgery, so he was unavailable. Lucky for us, we weren't the only movers, there was a small army of four others making six total and the woman we were moving.


    People knew how to carry stuff, they just were unsure how to pack it. Since I've helped one person per year move for the past 20 years, I know how to pack like Tetris pieces. The initial packing went slow as the location was an apartment high over the ground. We had the ability to use the freight elevator which is always fun... unless you don't have the key. Then you need to wait for the person that has the key.


    It was a dull and routine move with no issues, which made me happy.  The woman being moved did her part and had everything packed. That's the biggest thing... people moving just don't pack everything until the day of.


    I was asked if I would be okay to drive the woman's car that was packed to the brim with plants. Sure thing, no one else can drive her, its best that I drive an elderly woman 4+ hours than let her drive. My aunt drove the trailer and a third mover drove his giant truck and followed us. We lost 3 movers, which was fine. Supposedly we had more movers at the destination.


    With the elderly woman in the vehicle with me she had her maps all ready! She was going to be the navigator. I didn't want to say I have phone with GPS. If she wants to be a map, so be it.


    It took us maybe half an hour to find construction that the map could never warn us about. So we were off the correct path. It was time for the GPS. She had never used a GPS. Turns out she too has one on her large phone. Large like it could have been an iPad sort of thing. She ended up enjoying the fact that there was a GPS and it talked to us! Its so perfect!


    We were back on our way again. Driving 80 mph in a major city, we were making awesome time. We were in the fast lane of an 8 lane highway. That's when something happened and there was a banging on the side of the vehicle. Just constant banging. Since we had a lot of stuff in her vehicle, I thought maybe something was falling out of a window, but to fall out, we'd also be cabin pressure. When I looked back there was some black tentacle banging on the side of the car.


    Here's the thing about driving 80 mph in a fast lane and something goes wrong. There's a break down lane in the center, but the catch is since its the fast lane, chances are you'll never get out unless someone lets you out and good luck getting someone to stop at 60 - 80 mph.


    I chose to carefully and calmly drop speed and move one lane at a time to the right side. Lucky for us the truck was following with anther mover.


    As it turns out the trim on her vehicle had ripped off partially and began to whip in the wind banging on the side of the vehicle. What she failed to tell me is the vehicle had recently scraped a wall a few days prior. So I assume that dug up some of the trim.


    It could have been worse and the truck following behind had duct tape. Know what color duct tape? Red... because it was a red truck. Know what color her vehicle was? Aquatic blue. It beats having to rip trim off the side of a vehicle during the height of city highway traffic.


    When we arrived at the new location it was so late there was only one extra mover and she was just as elderly as the woman we were moving. She was still a great help though. My energy was gone at that point.


    To make things worse for myself, just before we left, I was exiting the trailer and it was a tight enough fit where I must have scratched my leg. During the drive it itched, but standing up again, moving, sweating all over again caused it to hurt a lot. So I hid in the bathroom to discover oh ... I was gushing blood from my thigh to my sock. The gash was scrape, but the blood mixed with sweat made it look far worse.


    After cleaning up the blood and taping the scrape shut, my body realized it was sick or something. I assume part of heat stroke is getting sick... in the near summer. So I got sick. Three toilet flushes later, I confirmed the new toilet worked.


    When we finished getting everything out, it was 11 pm. It was typical move time. Intend to start early, start not so early, end at 11 pm. It happens most every time.


    Oh but here's the thing we still had to do the 4 hour drive back. However, my aunt's daughter has a cabin in the woods that was only 2 hours in the correct direction. Its in the middle of no where as most cabins are and my cousin just so happened to be there. At 1 am there are no lights and no town to guide the way. We passed by it and realized once we had found a town that we had overshot it.


    There is poor cell phone reception in the middle of no where, but after 15 minutes of hanging out we finally go through. My cousin and her husband had to go out, stand at the sides of the driveway and guide us in with cell phones as if we were a plane landing on a runway. Here's the thing about the driveway and the darkness, the ditches off to the side are the type of thing that if a vehicle falls into, they need a tow truck to get out of. So it was good to have the two people holding lights, because without them it might be quite the task.


    So that time capsules everything noteworthy about the last move. The only reason I bring it up is digging through my previous blogs, I found the previous move and that inspired me to archive this before poor memory makes me forget.