I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the CC4 compilation progress thread - don't exactly want to spam up the main thread with map-specific details, unless that is in fact what its purpose is - I don't think it was too clearly specified.
TheGreenHerring had said:
MAP11: The Grotto -
* Rebuilt the nodes to make the following changes, simultaneously fixing a nodebuilding error at the winding techbase stairs at the start. Prior to this, there was an otherwise inexplicable, invisible barrier in the middle of one of the stairs, not defined by any linedef in the level. [May 17, 2012]
I never had that problem myself, or else I never noticed it. Anyway, glad it's dealt with!
* The red skull key door switches are now actual switches instead of just "Locked" panels that change to "Granted" when pressed. The "Locked -> Granted" effect was also redone to look better. [May 17, 2012]
* There is now a PassThru flag on the linedef north of the blue skull bars. Previously, you could not open them from any distance besides "close enough to kiss them." [May 17, 2012]
If it looks better and functions more realistically, then great - I approve!
* The early, three-floor elevator now moves as fast as the later two-level elevator does. [May 17, 2012]
This^ I'm not sure if I approve, but I won't complain either - I do recall being mildly annoyed at how slow the elevator moved, even though I think it was more realistic that way. Not a huge deal either way.
* Monster teleportation at the winding staircase has been made much faster, and a second teleport spot was added for the imps to arrive on. Previously, the speed of teleportation could vary enough that the player could outrun the ambush before it could occur. [May 17, 2012]
Not sure which winding staircase - about half the map is made of them.
I approve of things not being overly easy though.
* The door to the "four backpacks" secret no longer has moving doortracks. [May 17, 2012]*
I'm pretty sure I had designed it that way on purpose, but that is also not a big deal either way.
* The soulsphere secret behind the blue reactor core now has widened activation range, so that it is harder to miss when moving quickly. [May 17, 2012]
* Planned: Add a way to get the secret BFG in -nomonsters mode (normally accessed via arch-vile jump), just so you can get 100% Secrets in that mode. This method will be locked off when monsters are genabled, of course.
Sounds fine. Though I just had a related idea - maybe the archie should teleport as soon as is alerted (by stepping off that square) and portal onto the ledge area where you would want him to be to pop you - otherwise it's an aggravating hassle just trying to lure him out of there and past all the corpses that lie between his start location and goal location. Once he's out there, he can resurrect all he wants, as long as the jump is easily facilitated at the same time.
I also was thinking it might be good to switch the invisiblity and soulspheres in the beginning - so that you can get the invisibility before opening that lower door where all the hitscanners are. I assume/hope you know the two locations I'm referring to - I don't want to give it away publicly.
There is also a secret that Joshy modified/finished that I would like altered. After crossing the moat in the central room, there is a ledge (on the near east side) with a tunnel from it going into a watertunnel. I think it's 25 high or something like that, so that you have to (alt?)-run from a higher sector to get onto it. I think it should be higher (so as to be un-jumpable from ground level or nearby bushes) but also a tad easier to land on (from a higher sector). And possibly change the graywall in there to dark brick or something that looks more sewery and caveish.