Alright, checked out the most recent version once more. I felt it was quite a lot better, glad you decided to get rid of the thin walkways and the mysterious impassable lines :P
There are still a few things worth commenting on.
- I still don't think you left a clear enough indication of the existence of the room with the many archviles and the switch to get the RSK. Sure, you can argue that the map suggests its existence, but I'd prefer a clearer marker.
- Speaking of those archviles, I feel there are too many of them. Even if you know they're there and have the BFG, dealing with them isn't easy. Especially considering you'd probably run out of rad suits while killing earlier monsters.
- There are a bunch of glaring HOMs in different places. One of your custom textures doesn't load in prboom-plus. This'll probably be fixed later down the line, but it shouldn't be forgotten.
- I feel that some of your cliff faces are too sharp in places, and might look more natural if they were smoothed out a bit. I'll leave that at your discretion though.
- The rockface just above the lava pool next to the start room (with the imps/elementals/cacodemons) looks odd from certain angles. Think it's too high above the bit where the lavafall comes down from. I also seem to recall seeing some kind of HOM out the window of the blue key building.
- Don't like the two secrets past the red and blue switches. They require perfect timing to get. Quite frustrating. They'll mess up many a max recording, I should think.
- Last but not least, the boss fight. The monsters spawn far too fast. They have a habit of clustering around the shooting platform and preventing you from getting to it. If enough clustered around, you wouldn't be able to get off it, either. They also knock you off too easily, because of how close they can get. I've always disliked this kind of annoying timing puzzle. The most enjoyable map 30s tend to make you work hard to get to a certain vantage point, but once you're there you can easily pump rocket after rocket into the brain. This is more of a problem with the design of these icon of sin maps than with your map specifically, but if you're not prepared to change the style of the battle, there must be a few ways you can tone down the difficulty. At least getting around is no longer such a problem.
Apart from the very end, the map is awesome.
EDIT: Oh, one more thing I forgot. Those skull switches in the side rooms with the masterminds (just before the end area). I'm sure I complained about them in one of my earlier posts, but I really dislike them. They were probably the ugliest part of the map. Not a huge deal, since you only used them twice in these side rooms, but I really think those red cross switches you used elsewhere in the level would be a much better fit. Can't say I liked this texture when it was used in doom 2's map 30 either :/
As always, feel free to ignore parts of my critique you may not agree with. The missing textures are the only really crucial thing.
Last edited by justanotherfool on Jul 8 2010 at 20:46