Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Digitizing art (proof of concept)

I mentioned in a post a few months ago that there are a surprising amount of artists here in the community who don't seem to be doing much in the way of graphics and things for Doom wads. I spent an hour or so putting this together to show that using something like a simple pencil sketch, it can be pretty quickly digitally colored and look pretty comparable to the artwork you would see in Doom. (in fairness, this is probably a little grainy and could use more touching up)

I would love it if more artists would consider donating their drawings to community projects to use as background graphics like INTERPIC, TITLEPIC, CREDITPIC, and BOSSBACK. There are way too many INTERPIC's and TITLEPIC's that are just a plain texture background with a wordart splash of the wads title on it when there is so much more potential for better art to use instead, and it's not very difficult to make turn pencil skethces into usable graphics.

source image

cropped section

That's really neat :D It would be great to see more graphic output from the community

ya the pic could use more contrast, and the imp's spine should curve from gravity, I know in the original it looks good but the close up looks funny. If I get my pendisplay to quit acting up I'll mess with this one.

I couldn't agree more --- it's an excellent initiative.

The Civ said:

That'd be really rad if the colors weren't so flat, unaffected by light, and textureless.

Back to the sewers with you!

40oz said:

http://i.imgur.com/kaZi4P9.png

I mentioned in a post a few months ago that there are a surprising amount of artists here in the community who don't seem to be doing much in the way of graphics and things for Doom wads...

I would love it if more artists would consider donating their drawings to community projects to use as background graphics like INTERPIC, TITLEPIC, ...

Well I believe the reason for your first point is that the highdays for
doom 1 & 2 creativity are over. ofcourse there still is lots going on
but artists that make theme-related content such as fanart for a game
or movie, is usually done in the period when it's really booming.

I'm speaking for myself here when i say that when i make doom related content
it's out of nostalgia, not because i have a purpose to do something with it
in the game. thats why i think there's more fanart being made than actual
ingame content.

To adress your second point.
I think it's a great idea, but donating is not always as attractive as it would
seem. An artist will fear ...art-rape. Not everyone has a good eye for composition,
coloring, hell even combinations and themes. It's all a matter of personal taste
ofcourse. But this being said i would like to set a good example to get this going
for those that still are being creative with editing and mapping.

Would love to see what's being done with it. Feel free to recolor, crop, ... whatever
but credit is always nice tho.

Jaxxoon R said:

My attempt.

I got kind of lazy with the hand, but you get the idea.

Quite an improvement. Didn't know you had pixel-art skills.