Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

We gotta figure out what those Russians are doing.

Marnetmar said:

Hellstorm Acheron stumbled across a video of one of the cinematics:

https://vimeo.com/117437076

Apparently Doom 4 was going to be a war drama.

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdgtgokREc1qk5rvm.jpg

I think we've seen enough. It hurt's knowing that it came *that close* to being the next doom release.

Like when you find out years later that the guy you thought was the coolest dude on the street for handing out the best candy on Halloween night was actually a child molester all along, yeah... its that same kind of hurt.

John Carmack said a few years ago (before the reboot) "Doom 4 is more of a cinematic experience"(don't remember the source). I guess he was referring to this.

Wait...what if they are still using this crap? No one said the whole game will take place on Mars/Hell

Tuskin38 said:

The guy in the 5th image almost looks like the Doom Guy.

Naw, he looks like Liam Neeson.

He looks like a FAG...

Also, if you guys doubt it's legit, check this out

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-bristol/4/34b/a14

Lead Writer/ Cinematic Director on Doom 4
id Software
octombrie 2008 – ianuarie 2012 (3 ani 4 luni)
• Create and manage all pre-rendered and in-game cinemas.
• Work with Production team to create and manage cinematic schedule and budget.
• Co-write screenplay.
• Draw storyboards.
• Create 2D concept art and collaborate with concept artists to define vision of cinematics.
• Edit storyboard animatics to establish pace and timing.
• Work directly with local and Blindlight casting directors to cast VO and MOCAP talent.
• Direct all VO talent.
• Work directly with Blur Studios on photo-realistic pre-rendered cinemas.
• Direct all P-CAP and facial performances.
• Manage internal pipeline for integrating cinemas into the game.
• Strategize with Marketing Department on cinematic material for use in global advertising campaigns.

DooM_RO said:

John Carmack said a few years ago (before the reboot) "Doom 4 is more of a cinematic experience"(don't remember the source). I guess he was referring to this.

Seems Carmack gives very little about how good a game is as long as it showcases his engines, I'm glad he left for the tech industry.

Oh boy. Let's hold on to our hats, ladies.
A cinematic experience is the kind of thing espoused by Metal Gear Solid gamers. Let's hope this next DooM is not more routine than Rage. postscript: because Rage's level design was a catastrophe after a while.

doom_is_great said:

Please tell me that the demo looked WAAAYY better than this.

That was pretty much answered by the teaser that was just released, be sure to check it out! The game is set on Mars, probably entirely. The reveal looked like a fucking Doom game, not a COD clone.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I don't get why everyone is mad at it. No gameplay was shown, and I kinda liked the Rage meets Call of Duty style. I would still play it.

The anger comes from the fact that it doesn't look new or interesting. The market is thoroughly saturated with post-apocalyptic militant FPSs. That's boring to most of us. Doom is one of the few franchises that basically said, "Fuck it. Demons, goth, heavy metal, arcane, industrial, militant, occultist, space, WHATEVER!" It was a nutty mix of elements and it's still nutty today.

OP needs a bit of an introduction of what the images are without having to do prior research.

That being said, I'm glad this isn't going to be Doom 4.

Honestly? I would play it. I'm disappointed they've ditched the Hell on Earth setting as it was one of my most anticipated aspects. You might say it looks generic but how many HoE games have you seen? I haven't seen any shooters about a demonic apocalypse, especially in a modern setting. I'd love to see this thing, even if it wasn't DOOM. And really, guys at Blur have done an amazing job with those cinematics.

Touchdown said:

Honestly? I would play it. I'm disappointed they've ditched the Hell on Earth setting as it was one of my most anticipated aspects. You might say it looks generic but how many HoE games have you seen? I haven't seen any shooters about a demonic apocalypse, especially in a modern setting. I'd love to see this thing, even if it wasn't DOOM. And really, guys at Blur have done an amazing job with those cinematics.

The hell aspect was the only thing that separated it from everything else in post-apocalyptic category.

I'm not sure who pulled the plug and hopped in the time machine and went back to 1994 but thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

GoatLord said:

doesn't look new or interesting.

So does the Super Shotgun displayed on today's teaser. Seems just as boring and overdone just like any of the over 500 double barreled shotguns introduced on FPS on the last decade.

GoatLord said:

The market is thoroughly saturated with post-apocalyptic militant FPSs. That's boring to most of us.

Can you recommend some of them? Because I don't remember playing a war-themed post-apocalyptic game in my entire life. No, Gears of War, Fallout, Crysis and RAGE are not war-themed in any way, they adventure-themed. The war-themed games have completely disappeared from the market this decade. Even Call of Duty stopped being a war-themed game to become a "James Bond" game, there isn't a Call of Duty that takes place on an actual war since Black Ops 1. Even Battlefield is taking this route.
An apocaliptic/post-apocaliptic game featuring an entire army going in WAR against the forces of Hell would be actually something fresh and never done before.

And I repeat, it's fool to judge this old Doom 4 without any gameplay footage. What if behind all this visual caloduti-ism, there was non-linear levels and fast-paced combat?

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

And I repeat, it's fool to judge this old Doom 4 without any gameplay footage. What if behind all this visual caloduti-ism, there was non-linear levels and fast-paced combat?

With such careful attention to cinematics, progression would be point A to point B set piece shooting gallery with chest high walls, from cut scene to cut scene. Cut scenes would dictate the entire course of gameplay. Directors by virtue of story telling are very linear and while they're not level designing, everything else needs to revolve completely around their shit.

hfc2x said:

Naw, he looks like Liam Neeson.

Actually, its Ed Harris... with hair! No wait, he looks like Viggo Mortensen now that I think about it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I don't remember playing a war-themed post-apocalyptic game in my entire life.

The final quarter of Half-Life 2 (before you get to the Citadel) is probably the most widely played example of a post-apocalyptic guerrilla war setting.

Killzone 2 is also very war-themed, and is also a basically post-apocalyptic setting.

Homefront is yet another FPS about a guerrilla war being fought in a ruined, dystopian setting.

Resistance: Fall of Man, and its sequels, are about human guerrilla forces battling through the ruins of a nation against an army of demonsaliens.

Spec Ops: The Line is very conspicuously about the horrors of war, and it takes place in a literally post-apocalyptic nation... oh wait it's a third person shooter, I guess that doesn't count.

If you want to pick nits and say "yeah well none of those count because XYZ" then whatever, but the fact remains that the idea has been pretty well-mined and doesn't promise anything particularly fresh.

Could someone please PM me the password for those Vimeo videos?

I'm sure someone made a backup. It's only a matter of time until the video resurfaces.

Thank god this was not released it looks boring and honestly i would not even considered buying it and this comes from someone who loves and defends Duke Forever as most consider that a crap sequel

Linguica said:

The final quarter of Half-Life 2 (before you get to the Citadel) is probably the most widely played example of a post-apocalyptic guerrilla war setting.

Killzone 2 is also very war-themed, and is also a basically post-apocalyptic setting.

Homefront is yet another FPS about a guerilla war being fought in a ruined, dystopian setting.

Resistance: Fall of Man, and its sequels, are about human guerilla forces battling through the ruins of a nation against an army of demonsaliens.

Spec Ops: The Line is very conspicuously about the horrors of war, and it takes place in a literally post-apocalyptic nation... oh wait it's a third person shooter, I guess that doesn't count.

2 of these are Playstation exclusives that I will never play. The others are just about guerrila warfare, taking place AFTER the war (and the real action) ended.

Guerrila Warfare != Two armies engaging in total war.

Linguica said:

If you want to pick nits and say "yeah well none of those count because XYZ" then whatever, but the fact remains that the ideas has been pretty well-mined and doesn't promise anything particularly fresh.

Yes, I agree. GUERRILLA WARFARE is already overused. There are thousands of games that takes place AFTER all the action already ended. A game where you are a frontline soldier on the middle of the first wave of an alien/demon invasion was never made yet. The only thing that got close to this so far was the first level of Legendary, but I would want to see somebody doing it with a budget higher than 10 bucks.