Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

The only thing that bothers me about the new DOOM is...

Piper Maru said:

And yet Darth Vader wore a helmet. I have a feeling that Doomguy (2016) is going to be a cyborg, or in the very least, an enhanced human being. I don't understand why the marine being a super solider is even a problem.

Darth Vader is not a typical cyborg. His prosthetics are there to keep is injured body alive. He is more like a villain with handicaps. Like Dr Strangelove and dozens of others. His superhuman powers come from the Jedi stuff and not from cyborg technology. A true cyborg is transhumanistic through technology.

Anyways, I don't think they will make some silly story arround something like this in the new Doom.

Tetzlaff said:

Darth Vader is not a typical cyborg. His prosthetics are there to keep is injured body alive. He is more like a villain with handicaps. Like Dr Strangelove and dozens of others. His superhuman powers come from the Jedi stuff and not from cyborg technology. A true cyborg is transhumanistic through technology.

Anyways, I don't think they will make some silly story arround something like this in the new Doom.

I know where you're coming from, I was just speculating for the fun of it. :-)

Did anyone think to try and brighten or manipulate the shot from the beginning of the E3 gameplay where he looks into his own helmet?
If they really put detail into those reflections, we just might see a glimpse of his face in it.

I'm with Buckshot, it's literally the only thing about the game I don't like. There's just something more brutal about a nothing-sepcial dude with a hairy arm punchin' demons, rather than Super Extreme Solider Man v3.2.

It's just a matter of taste though, it's so minor that I can't be bothered to care.

watstha said:

Halo fanboys calling the Doomguy: master chief.

Hilariously ironic since Chief's design was an almost carbon copy of classic Doomguy!

Piper Maru said:

I don't understand why the marine being a super solider is even a problem.

Because people don't want to be overpowered, they want a challenge. Doomguy being human is more interesting to me.

Avoozl said:

Because people don't want to be overpowered, they want a challenge. Doomguy being human is more interesting to me.

This entire time I thought Doomguy was a superhero.

:-(

Doomguy is such a non-character beyond his bloodied hamburger face and his sadistic glee with fresh new hardware and penchant for do-goodery despite his issues that I can't really call him interesting in the first place. He's a dude with big muscles and big guns who's the last person alive on Mars to be able to kick the shit out of the big bad Demons, and subsequently the only soldier skilled enough to save Earth from Hell itself when it comes down to it. And even go back into Hell again to make sure to kill every single Demon and stay there forever so they never come back. I mean technically he even died and came back from Hell itself. But in the long term, besides the pet bunny Daisy and his own face, you could say this is basically meant to be us seeing as the games refer to him as You, so in the end.. it doesn't really matter what we're wearing because we're not Master Chief, who actually has a distinct character.

Wearing fancy superarmor just means there's no face this time (for all we know so far) and you can apparently actually jump without needing the power of a sourceport behind you and are on pseudo-Berserk mode all day every day. Considering there weren't even voice grunts of pain, when even Doom 3 had them, that's also notable for that whole thing.

The thing that bothers me is they haven't shown off the return of the darts from Doom 64. As we all know, those were the most memorable of all aspects of the franchise. It almost makes me think they didn't include them.

Sarcasm, I know, but I actually thought the darts and homing rockets were really interesting obstacles. I also like the occultist imagery in Doom 64, I think some of it is even better than the original and I'd like to see some decor/texturing in that direction for Doom '16.

The only thing that bothers me about the new DOOM is...

...that the game lacks the original artistic vision of Doom 3 and instead bases the visual style solely on market analysis.

I haven't seen any other popular games sporting a look quite like this. Looks similar to Doom 3, only larger and more fun to play an FPS in (oh man shots fired)

No but really, it looks like the natural progression of the series, a blend of all 3 games before it and a bit of its own hellish, modern charm. I really do know what analysis would have lead them to design the game this way, other than perhaps a "what look isn't oversaturating the FPS market?" analysis.

If the demons were Russian and the guns were realistic and you were out in some run down post-war city block with other army dudes, then I'd concede.

Doomkid said:

what analysis would have lead them to design the game this way, other than perhaps a "what look isn't oversaturating the FPS market?" analysis.

Well if you read the articles, they say it was a "what would a 15 year old draw on the back of a math textbook?" analysis.

Doomkid said:

If the demons were Russian and the guns were realistic and you were out in some run down post-war city block with other army dudes, then I'd concede.

..it almost happened.

And yet, when id realised this, and decided that wasn't the direction they wanted to take, Bethesda the big evil publisher that they are said no, and forced them to finish it and put out a sub-par game which nobody was happy with.

Wait that's not right.

AirRaid said:

And yet, when id realised this, and decided that wasn't the direction they wanted to take, Bethesda the big evil publisher that they are said no, and forced them to finish it and put out a sub-par game which nobody was happy with.

Wait that's not right.

Thank god EA wasn´t the one who bought id XD

AirRaid said:

Well if you read the articles, they say it was a "what would a 15 year old draw on the back of a math textbook?" analysis.

I was so enamored by the screenshots that my brain didn't even register that... That's a scary way to put it. I hope that's just a bad description or an attempt at being funny on their part.

watstha said:

Thank god EA wasn´t the one who bought id XD

They almost did. We would have had Call of Doom 2 by now if that had been the case.

Buckshot said:

As long as they don't make a character creation screen with odious facial and body type detailing, I'm content.

Unless they just want to give us an arm hair thickness slider.